The Newsroom

Lockerbie getting freed

(August 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RM
Roger Mellie
623058 posted:
Maybe we should LOOK AT the orginal post before jumping the GUN!

I did say from the BBC radio 2 dabate show! Wink

Fair enough, I concede I misread upon first sitting http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z77/demaine_d/Emoticon/blind.gif
BA
bakamann
earlier on FOX News' America's Newsroom... Megan Kelly, a Syracuse freshman during the Lockerbie bombings whose also on Italy studying, is really passionate on the release of Al-Megrahi.

also, it seems that they are hooked-up with Sky News, but they only thing I hear is the "Sky News Reporter," no one from the desk... which I assume was Steve Dixon.

then i have heard something like "f**king monster" on the audio...
PE
Pete Founding member
There's an interview with the mother of a victim on the fox website and the anchorwoman nearly spits with rage as she says "compassionate release". It's quite amusing.

meanwhile, it appears fox news has even more insane commenters than the mail's site

Quote:
philabias
Montana

LOOKS LIKE ITS TIME TO BOYCOTT SCOTTLAND AND SEIZE THERE US ASSETS AND GIVE THEM TO THE VICTOMS FAMILIES.BUT DONT EXSPECT ANY HELP FROM THE TRAITOR IN THE WHITE HOUSE

Thursday, August 20, 2009 at 9:18 PM

and of course the restrained and measured

Quote:
yahlers
Georgia

When he dies, they should bury him under the Lockerbie Memorial at Syracuse University. Then, drop an nuke on the middle east, show them what terror glows like.

Thursday, August 20, 2009 at 8:41 PM
Last edited by Pete on 20 August 2009 9:36pm
CH
Chie
At the other extreme, it seems Joanna Gosling can hardly contain her excitement about Megrahi landing in Libya Rolling Eyes He is a convicted terrorist you know, not an Olympic gold medalist...
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
Quote:
philabias
Montana

LOOKS LIKE ITS TIME TO BOYCOTT SCOTTLAND AND SEIZE THERE US ASSETS AND GIVE THEM TO THE VICTOMS FAMILIES.BUT DONT EXSPECT ANY HELP FROM THE TRAITOR IN THE WHITE HOUSE

Thursday, August 20, 2009 at 9:18 PM

The only US assets we have are Craig Ferguson and Sheena Easton.

Where's my giftwrap...
PE
Pete Founding member
Chie posted:
At the other extreme, it seems Joanna Gosling can hardly contain her excitement about Megrahi landing in Libya Rolling Eyes He is a convicted terrorist you know, not an Olympic gold medalist...

Well that's more likely because she was excited at the story unfolding rather than the actual cause. The Fox people were very likely giddy too at this point.
JO
Jon
Chie posted:

I think it's great this bloke who I reckon is probably innocent is returning home and that we live in a system where such dignity can be given. But compassion and Chie aren't to words I associate with each other. Rolling Eyes
TE
TELEVISION
It's absolutely disgusting that this man has been released on 'compassionate grounds' ... he didn't show any compassion to those people he killed on the plane and in Lockerbie. Being from Lockerbie myself I know what it was like, and how it affected people. Bearing in mind I was only 2 when it happened, but the repercussions will remain forever.

Anyway as for the news coverage Lookaround was quite good tonight ... obviously North East Tonight must have been pre-recorded tonight. I would certainly say ITV News' coverage has been a lot better than the BBC's. Mary was quite good reporting from the remembrance garden in Lockerbie, which is close to where I stay. Couldn't get near though because roads were closed due to flooding around the town.
BR
breakingnews
There's an interview with the mother of a victim on the fox website and the anchorwoman nearly spits with rage as she says "compassionate release". It's quite amusing
[/quote]

link?
JO
Jon
It's absolutely disgusting that this man has been released on 'compassionate grounds' ... he didn't show any compassion to those people he killed on the plane and in Lockerbie.

That's if you believe he was responsible, the fact is lots of the families think he's innocent, that's innocent, it's not just think the conviction might be unsafe.
IS
Isonstine Founding member
Chie posted:

I think it's great this bloke who I reckon is probably innocent is returning home and that we live in a system where such dignity can be given. But compassion and Chie aren't to words I associate with each other. Rolling Eyes

Well I feel that Chie being a rather sensitive soul would be rather hurt by such a comment.
JO
Joshua
I think hes been given the worst payback possible, hes dying. I think thats justice. Keeping him in prison wouldnt have made him feel any sorrow.

CNN's Wolf Blitzer really has it in for the Scottish MP, I think the U.S. are far more angered than us and don't understand this idea of morality or compassion that the UK and Scotland's Justice systems pride themselves on. Fox News' presenters just had that tone of disgust in their voices, clearly not happy with the decision either. 'Fair & Balanced ' is their slogan, isn't it? It isnt harmful to bring up the fact that some British families agree with the release - they didnt even mention that once. It was all "everybody is against this decision. What was the Scottish MP thinking?" in a nutshell.

Its interesting to see levels of compassion in a way, I think over here theres a larger number of people who think he should be released, since afterall he is being payed the ultimate price and he will have to take his part in this terrorist attack to the grave, that is if you think he was part of it. Of course at the same time I know many many people from the UK are against the decision.

Newer posts