TV Home Forum

Virgin 1 Thread

Now relaunched... (May 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
rob Founding member
I'm still waiting for Virgin 2!!!

Are you Paul Akinbola? Laughing Laughing

Anyway, that logo looks absolutely awful. Let's hope that's not the finished article...
RT
rts Founding member
Good spot. It could well be.
ST
Stuart
benjy posted:
Could the logo at the end of this trail be the new Virgin1 logo? It looks a bit...unfinished.

The channel is still showing the existing logo as its DOG, so maybe it isn't finished yet then. Wink

Perhaps the revamp is at 6pm or later.

Virgin 1+1 has appeared on Freeview Channel 35, but the EPG information is identical to Virgin 1 at present.
:-(
A former member
Not wishing to preclude any late changes, but the first post in this thread links to a media release saying the brand work will hit screens June 9th - not May 20th.

12 days later

RO
rob Founding member
Relaunch will take place June the 9th at 9pm - the logo mentioned earlier is the confirmed logo.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/virgin-1-gets-red-y-for-relaunch/5001994.article
TC
TCOTV
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jun/01/virgin-media-red
LL
Larry the Loafer
I can really see those idents becoming tiresome after a few weeks.
BR
Brekkie
The logo is just so lazy too - not a patch on the current one.
CH
chris
Is it just me, or do you think it looks very depressing, cheap and almost laughable when digital channels try and make new and funky live-action idents a la BBC/ITV/Channel 4? Take Watch for example. It looks like they're trying too hard.

This new batch will get so old, even for people who don't watch Virgin 1 that much. Stick to simple graphics, Virgin 1. It looks much tidier.
PC
Paul Clark
The logo works, but it is admittedly uninspired - and far more predictable than the current, soon-to-be-ousted giant '1' that has served as the focus of the branding. However, the times I've flicked past Virgin 1 recently, it seems as if the whole look is somewhat bland by modern standards.

So in terms of the new identity that's lined up, I can appreciate the ideas; bringing in a character to try and move away from the generic into something more distinctive and light, and in turn opening up the opportunity for a set that an be expanded on and added to. At least it seems they're having a go at properly fleshing-out this new look to rival the major channels on the range of sequences, if nothing else.

I should say, I can sense a slight flaw in this approach. Lengthy bit of film panning round, Virgin 1 logo appears right at the end. Putting the logo at the end of the ident means the entire sequence must play out every time in order for the logo to be shown - and once you've viewed it for the first time, you've seen everything - so for a viewer to sit through the full plays thereafter could get tiresome. That considered, multiple idents seems like a good idea...
Last edited by Paul Clark on 1 June 2009 7:54pm
DE
denny
More (new) information on the rebrand for those interested:

http://dennytu.wordpress.com/2009/06/01/virgin1

And yes, the new on-air rebrand launches June 9th.
CH
chris
I should say, I can sense a slight flaw in this approach. Lengthy bit of film panning round, Virgin 1 logo appears right at the end. Putting the logo at the end of the ident means the entire sequence must play out every time in order for the logo to be shown - and once you've viewed it for the first time, you've seen everything - so for a viewer to sit through the full plays thereafter could get tiresome. That considered, multiple idents seems like a good idea...

And we all know of a channel that's suffered from that and U-Turned recently, don't we?

Newer posts