The Newsroom

South West England & CI Thread

Justin Leigh to leave the BBC (January 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands

I watched the events last night... It was interesting how everyone was saying it would happen at midnight - and then never happened until 00:50! Also worthy of note was that ALL channels went off air (I thought each channel had its own seperate transmission equipment so only BBC2 and ITV1 would go off) but I guess that was the main switch being thrown (like the footage we saw from the Whitehaven switch over).

Yes, each channel has it's own set of transmitters (with older equipment like Beacon Hill each will have 2 audio and 2 video) but they will share aerials, combiners, feeders (the cabling to the aerials) and the main power supply.

I assume that last night the new DTT transmitter had to be 'plumbed in' to the feeders/combiners/aerial system which means taking everything else down. Also if any work needs to take place to the aerials or mast then they must go off air for safety reasons. It's a lot easier and less likely to cause damage in general if stuff is switched off before plugging/unplugging equipment, especially at the powers involved.

The actual switch of the BBC2 analogue transmitters to ITV1 would have been fairly simple. It should just invole unplugging the feed of BBC2 and replacing it with ITV1's - the transmitter isn't fussy what video is going into it. Channels come in to transmitter sites via a distribution board which has all the electronics and decoders/encoders to provide a finished signal before it goes into the transmitter. However because of the old BBC/IBA and latterly Crown Castle/NTL split it's likely that the BBC and ITV equipment will be in different rooms or even different buildings so the difficult bit would be to physically get the ITV feed to the BBC2 transmitter
MS
Mr-Stabby
Quite ironic to hear after the report from the transmitter that BBC Channel Islands would be out of action due to transmitter problems. They haven't broadcast live for 2 days now. Last nights 10:25 bulletin was recorded and played out from Plymouth, with the presenter announcing this before the bulletin started.
IS
Inspector Sands
Quite ironic to hear after the report from the transmitter that BBC Channel Islands would be out of action due to transmitter problems. They haven't broadcast live for 2 days now. Last nights 10:25 bulletin was recorded and played out from Plymouth, with the presenter announcing this before the bulletin started.

It probably isn't transmitter problems of course otherwise those on the Channel Islands wouldn't be seeing anything.

It's more likely a fault either with the production equipment on Jersey or whatever gets that on air. I'd have thought that if something major goes down and there isn't a spare or parts or expertise on the island to fix it then the repair will take a lot longer than if it was in the UK
FU
fusionlad Founding member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/jersey/content/articles/2009/04/08/bbctv_problems_feature.shtml
IS
Inspector Sands

'a fault somewhere in the circuit that takes the studio feed in Jersey to the UK for broadcast'
means
'some dozy fool has put a spade through the cable' Laughing
ST
Stuart

There was also the following apology by Victoria Graham during last night's Spotlight programme at 18:30. I didn't notice whether they provided any Channel Islands news though. She seemed to forget that the CI programme is no longer called 'Spotlight', it's just referred to on air as 'BBC Channel Islands'.

http://vid273.photobucket.com/albums/jj219/StuartPlymouth/BBC-CI-Apology0704092.flv
SP
Steve in Pudsey

I watched the events last night... It was interesting how everyone was saying it would happen at midnight - and then never happened until 00:50! Also worthy of note was that ALL channels went off air (I thought each channel had its own seperate transmission equipment so only BBC2 and ITV1 would go off) but I guess that was the main switch being thrown (like the footage we saw from the Whitehaven switch over).

I assume that last night the new DTT transmitter had to be 'plumbed in' to the feeders/combiners/aerial system which means taking everything else down. Also if any work needs to take place to the aerials or mast then they must go off air for safety reasons. It's a lot easier and less likely to cause damage in general if stuff is switched off before plugging/unplugging equipment, especially at the powers involved.

The actual switch of the BBC2 analogue transmitters to ITV1 would have been fairly simple. It should just invole unplugging the feed of BBC2 and replacing it with ITV1's - the transmitter isn't fussy what video is going into it. Channels come in to transmitter sites via a distribution board which has all the electronics and decoders/encoders to provide a finished signal before it goes into the transmitter. However because of the old BBC/IBA and latterly Crown Castle/NTL split it's likely that the BBC and ITV equipment will be in different rooms or even different buildings so the difficult bit would be to physically get the ITV feed to the BBC2 transmitter

Apparently there was a bit of pluggery going on to put the remaining analogue services onto the reserve aerial and the new high power DTT mux onto the main aerial system.

For the frequency switching, I wonder whether any steps have been taken to make sure that ITV1 doesn't get rebroadcast if a neighbouring transmitter needs to take a BBC2 RBS feed?

The CI opt has made it to air tonight. I guess its absence of recent days has shown that feeding Fremont Point from DSat has its risks. Surprised there wasn't something done to lash up the analogue feed!
IS
Inspector Sands

Apparently there was a bit of pluggery going on to put the remaining analogue services onto the reserve aerial and the new high power DTT mux onto the main aerial system.

That makes sense, the new aerials have been installed specifically with DSO in mind

Quote:

For the frequency switching, I wonder whether any steps have been taken to make sure that ITV1 doesn't get rebroadcast if a neighbouring transmitter needs to take a BBC2 RBS feed?

I wonder if RBS system relies on the same network ID system that relays do, so that it can't rebroadcast anything that it's not intended to?

I wonder what the effect on RBS in parts of Devon and Cornwall will be for the next few months though, if any

Quote:

The CI opt has made it to air tonight. I guess its absence of recent days has shown that feeding Fremont Point from DSat has its risks. Surprised there wasn't something done to lash up the analogue feed!

Well they did it locally before the current way of sending it via Plymouth, London, satellite and then back down to the Islands so maybe they've lashed up part of that old setup and crash opted. Did their bulletin appear on satellite?
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
I must say, having watched Spotlight last night, the piece they showed with the engineer (in a suit and tie!) switching off at Beacon Hill, it seemed a lot better than that guy doing it at Whitehaven - he said a lot more, and he had a lot more to switch off!
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Did their bulletin appear on satellite?

Yes, but looking pretty soft. Not sure if that's usual though!

14 days later

JV
James Vertigan Founding member
The Westcountry Today has been reporting on the Digital switchover phase two at Beacon Hill today...

They have been mentioning that "BBC One, ITV1, Channel 4 and Five " were switched off this morning...

So who didn't do their research? Beacon Hill did not carry Five analogue!

I guess this is one of the problems with having news come from Bristol rather than Plymouth? Unless of course the story was sent by a Plymouth journo to Bristol...

(PS - OK, I will admit to having made the mistake of adding Five to the list of channels on the TVForum calendar entry about the switchover, but I realised my mistake afterwards!)
IS
Inspector Sands
The Westcountry Today has been reporting on the Digital switchover phase two at Beacon Hill today...

They have been mentioning that "BBC One, ITV1, Channel 4 and Five " were switched off this morning...

So who didn't do their research? Beacon Hill did not carry Five analogue!

I guess this is one of the problems with having news come from Bristol rather than Plymouth? Unless of course the story was sent by a Plymouth journo to Bristol...

Probably nothing to do with the Bristol/Plymouth thing... Journalists are hardly known for their in depth knowledge of things technical

Newer posts