TV Home Forum

Comic Relief Night 2009

Donate via bbc.co.uk/rednoseday (March 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AJ
AJ
Tumble Tower posted:
Something along the lines of what I've suggested.

Unless you personally donate in excess of £50million, then no, they will not.

What you have suggested is along the lines of a 1970s variety show - there's a reason why they are not done anymore, because people don't find them as funny as they were back in the day.

Comedy and entertainment has moved on from those days, and that sort of entertainment will have people switching off in their millions.

And no, I do NOT want to see Paul Daniels grace our primetime screens once again.
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
So to extract...
2005: "On the whole, a somewhat disappointing evening’s viewing. Charity fundraising or not, fun need not be yuck. "
2007: "On the whole, a disappointing evening really. I’d sooner have had more pop performances. "
...I think many others can spot a pattern. It would appear you wanting to have lot of music throughout the evening, which rather misses the focus of Comic Relief. Whilst you may not have liked the line up, I rather suspect you're in a minority and far more would dislike your alternative schedule.

The fact is that times have changed since the early Red Nose Day events. The show's become more professionally run, compared the early years for instance. The comedians who've been involved over the years has also changed. Rowan Atkinson is currently in Oliver (to answer an earlier question), a notable absence this year was Billy Connolly who off-hand appeared in the opening 2007 video.
"And to prove tonight's not just about comedy... ...here's Ben Elton."
(...to pinch a quote probably from Mock the Week)

Personally I thought that this year was an improvement on the last Red Nose day, and the balance was right. The music performances appeared to be timed for just after the 'heavier' appeal videos, without which it would have been hard to go straight back into the comedy. The live ToTP seemed to work fairly well, even if it was slightly chaotic at times due to being live (eg. someone walking/ducking in front of Noel whilst he was doing a link).
BR
Brekkie
God, we really need an ignore feature on this forum.

LONDON posted:
I thought a hell of alot of effort was put into totp last night, does anyone else expect an announcement soon about its return. I think it may also use the pink and blue neon logo as the logo at the moment is very contempoary.

Other posters here know my thoughts on TOTP (or at least assume they do), but in all honesty I can't see it returning in it's traditional weekly format as sooner or later it would be back to square one with not many people watching.

However, I think it can work very well as occasional specials, if for nothing else to utilise the brand. So instead of things like the BBC One Sessions or U2 at the BBC it could all come under a "Top of the Pops Presents..." banner.

And talking telethons, wasn't there talk not so long ago of them resurrecting the ITV Telethon in some form, or has the idea now been dropped since Michael Grade realised he couldn't use it to raise money for ITV's shareholders.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
AJ posted:

The nail has been hit firmly on the head - RND made £57m. It was a huge success. Don't expect any radical changes to the format in 2011.
TT
Tumble Tower
Steve in Pudsey posted:
AJ posted:

The nail has been hit firmly on the head - RND made £57m. It was a huge success. Don't expect any radical changes to the format in 2011.

Okay to recap the end of night totals from the last three RNDs:

2005: £37,809,564.
2007: £40,236,142 (increase of just over £2.4 million on 2005)
2009: £57,809,938 (well over £17.5 million up on 2007, an increase of more than 40%, despite the recession).

How on Earth did they manage such a big leap in the end of night total from 2007 to 2009 in a recession? All the scaremongery people are short of money and don't have the money to give, I have my doubts.
JO
Jonny
Tumble Tower posted:

2009: £57,809,938 (well over £17.5 million up on 2007, an increase of more than 40%, despite the recession).

How on Earth did they manage such a big leap in the end of night total from 2007 to 2009 in a recession? All the scaremongery people are short of money and don't have the money to give, I have my doubts.

When people learned that if they didn't beat 2007's total they would be subjected to zelebs in lycra popping balloons, England footballers tight-roping 2ft above a ball pit and adult Boogie Beebies for RND 2011 the donations came flooding in.
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
Tumble Tower posted:

What do you mean "I have my doubts"?

Its the poorest who are the worst hit in a recession - that was probably the first line uttered by the presenters - and they asked the public to dig deep because of this.

You may have missed that as you were already on here rambling on about your preferred choice of entertainment.

Balloons, party hats and conjurers may suit your particular level of sophistication - but I think you'd have a hard job trying to find adults to agree.

I assume by your use of "yuk" that you felt that it was all a bit grown up for you.
BR
Brekkie
Jonny posted:
Tumble Tower posted:

When people learned that if they didn't beat 2007's total they would be subjected to zelebs in lycra popping balloons, England footballers tight-roping 2ft above a ball pit and adult Boogie Beebies for RND 2011 the donations came flooding in.

LOL Laughing
JA
jamesmd
Tumble Tower posted:
JAH posted:
Don't think it's too professional - some of the live segments I've seen have been a bit dodgily directed - and are they going to wheel out the climbers at every opportunity?

TT, what do you think will happen on the crossover from B1 to B2?

Ha ha, you're using TV channel code speak now! Very Happy

Just before 10pm, I think they were simulcasting on BBC One and BBC Two. That happened again for about a minute after TOTP. In fact when TOTP ended, I turned from BBC Two to BBC One, and back to BBC Two to prove the point. About a minute later BBC Two went on to something else altogether, and it was just BBC One continuing with Comic Relief.

I've just noticed this post. Yes, I was trying to provoke you into saying something other than "tommy rot". I don't use TV channel code speak because it's far harder to remember than just saying "BBC One".

Anyway back to taking the p*ss out of you for being stuck in the 70s. Are you Michael Jackson? Are you trying to reclaim some of your lost childhood?
PH
philglossop
Yes and while we're at it, bring back Stu Francis and Crackerjack for the children along with Jimmy Cricket, Russ Abbott and the whole cast of Milkshake (if Five release them) for an evening of Tumble Tower relief.......
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
philglossop posted:
for an evening of Tumble Tower relief.......

I'd buy a ticket to that.
DA
davidmcg
Slightly off topic here but does anyone remember Sport Relief? I just don't get it. Worse in most aspects than CIN, no real funny moments,just boring really.

I'd take a leaf out of Australia's Sound Relief for the recent bushfires there.
Yeah it's a bit like Live Aid but hey it's guaranteed to get money in, would be a great show with the right bands. Love to see it more then bloomin Sport Relief... like i'm going to tune in to see people run ...pfft

Newer posts