TV Home Forum

If ITV went to the wall

There must be plan somewhere? (March 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RD
Rob Del Monte
I reckon they should give some of the franchises to radio companies.

GCap (or whatever they are nowadays) could have sum, Heart could have sum. I think ITV's USP is its regionality, and its loss is a *big* mistake.

Channel Three should be the regional channel, channel 4, the independent p.s.b., channel five the higher-brow trashier stuff (perhaps I'm unfair about c. 5.), &c.

Just to test my hypothesis, I wonder how are UTV's and SMG's shareprices? They're more regional in brand.

B. t. w., this is my first post for a while, because I haven't had the Internet for a while. it is good to be back, though, i'll perhaps be a disappointment to sum Embarassed Laughing Hello again.
PE
Pete Founding member
Rob Del Monte posted:
B. t. w., this is my first post for a while, because I haven't had the Internet for a while. it is good to be back, though, i'll perhaps be a disappointment to sum Embarassed Laughing Hello again.

snort. what happened rob? did you insert a load of interrobangsinto the MAC code and confuse the ISPs‽
KE
kernow
Rob Del Monte posted:

GCap (or whatever they are nowadays) could have sum, Heart could have sum. I think ITV's USP is its regionality, and its loss is a *big* mistake.

GCap was taken over by Global Radio, who are currently in the process of "nationalising" most of their regional radio stations, by rebranding them to Heart, and are replacing some of their regional content with network content, and are reducing the amount of local news, so they're basically repeating what ITV have been doing over the last few years.
JO
Jonny
kernow posted:
Rob Del Monte posted:

GCap was taken over by Global Radio, who are currently in the process of "nationalising" most of their regional radio stations, by rebranding them to Heart, and are replacing some of their regional content with network content, and are reducing the amount of local news, so they're basically repeating what ITV have been doing over the last few years.

And their chairman is... Mr Charles Allen.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
kernow posted:

And they've just been pulled up by Ofcom too for not sticking to their agreed formats:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radio/ifi/contentsampling/gwrfm.pdf posted:
Ofcom received complaints that GWR FM [owned by Global Radio and licensed for the City of Bath] is not delivering the music proposition set out in its Format, which is to play ‘contemporary and chart’ music.

After listening to three days of GWR FM’s music output, we found that the overall mix of music being aired by the station was too old for it to be consistent with the Format’s Character of Service.

GWR FM is not operating within its Format and a Yellow Card warning has been issued.

This warning concerns GWR Bristol, but we received similar complaints about a number of Global stations and we advise the licensee to take this finding into account for programming across all its CHR stations. Ofcom has had conversations with the licensee about content on its CHR stations in the past.
RD
Rob Del Monte
Jonny posted:
kernow posted:
Rob Del Monte posted:

And their chairman is... Mr Charles Allen.

Why not:

“Radio from the Heart of life?” Laughing !

Déjŕ vu (or what?!)!

perhaps I'm wrong, but this crumbling ITV plc smells a lot like "I told you so!"!
MD
Mr D'Arcy
Neil Jones posted:
kernow posted:

And they've just been pulled up by Ofcom too for not sticking to their agreed formats:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radio/ifi/contentsampling/gwrfm.pdf posted:
Ofcom received complaints that GWR FM [owned by Global Radio and licensed for the City of Bath] is not delivering the music proposition set out in its Format, which is to play ‘contemporary and chart’ music.

After listening to three days of GWR FM’s music output, we found that the overall mix of music being aired by the station was too old for it to be consistent with the Format’s Character of Service.

GWR FM is not operating within its Format and a Yellow Card warning has been issued.

This warning concerns GWR Bristol, but we received similar complaints about a number of Global stations and we advise the licensee to take this finding into account for programming across all its CHR stations. Ofcom has had conversations with the licensee about content on its CHR stations in the past.

That's very interesting as the letter's page in the local rag is brimming with comments that they will be turning off when it becomes Heart.

Newer posts