The Newsroom

ITV wants to axe some regional news services

From 17 to 9 (September 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
South Today
Indeed Heather never left - didnt they bring in something about only journalists could present bulletins c.2002? Isnt Susanna still around?
FG
Funky Guy
I am not sure about Susannah i have not seen her on screen in ages .I know John Harkins was a Director on Lookaround .
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Steve posted:
deejay posted:

I think they even did the 6 1/2 minute late news bulletins for Hull from Leeds' Presentation studio before the new centre at Leeds opened... might be wrong on that.

No, it always came from Hull - from a tiny tiny room in BBC Radio Humberside's old building. Couldn't have had Clare Frisby and Christa Ackroyd just a few metres apart Smile

But the Leeds self-op was used for the DTL weather - which would have been fun in terms of wardrobe choices for Paul Hudson - the self-op had a blue CSO screen, the screen in the main studio was green.
BR
Brekkie
Has Teletext changed it's regions now to mirror ITV1?

On Freeview on p139 there is now a message explaining for some regions the first news story is on p333, while for others (seemingly those who've recently merged), the stories start on p340.
BE
Ben Founding member
Brekkie posted:
Has Teletext changed it's regions now to mirror ITV1?

On Freeview on p139 there is now a message explaining for some regions the first news story is on p333, while for others (seemingly those who've recently merged), the stories start on p340.

Yep, there was a note that they'd be merging London and the South East a few weeks ago as part of Ofcom's rule relaxation.
LL
London Lite Founding member
The teletext news regions don't match all the new regions. As mentioned, London now shares news with the area covered by Meridian South East.

I don't know if Meridian SE shares it's news with London or with Meridian South?
BE
Ben Founding member
It shares with Meridian South, although you quite often see transport reports being shared between Meridian and London.
LO
Londoner
What happens with the 6.50 headlines recap in the new West/Westcountry and Border/Tyne Tees hybrid regions?

Do they have a single live insert or do they have different versions for each sub-region?
PR
Primetime
Londoner posted:
What happens with the 6.50 headlines recap in the new West/Westcountry and Border/Tyne Tees hybrid regions?

Do they have a single live insert or do they have different versions for each sub-region?

Since the refresh of ITV News presentation, their is no 6.50 regional headlines.
NG
noggin Founding member
deejay posted:

Self op studios were literally a seat against a backdrop (sometimes CSO but often just a photo blow up), a few lights, one camera with autocue and the ability for the presenter to opt out from network and read headlines with some illustrative stills. Most self op studios didn't last into the mid 90s especially as expectations to run moving video and clips got greater. But those that were left working (notably the one in Leeds manned by Peter Levy) , were doctored to allow fairly complex bulletins. I think they even did the 6 1/2 minute late news bulletins for Hull from Leeds' Presentation studio before the new centre at Leeds opened... might be wrong on that.

Most centres still have secondary galleries for shorter bulletins, often still referred to as 'Pres' but they're usually manned by at least two people these days (presenter and tech op). I don't think there are any self-op pres studios left in operation at all. I imagine Radio Cumbria's studio is solely used for down-the-line interviews these days...

Yep - in Norwich the "self-op" desk was always operated from the "pres" studio, but not always in "self-op" mode. The short "camera + still store" bulletins were usually self-op by the presenter, but the breakfast bulletins, which had VT and more complex graphics, were less formulaic and so were directed/vision & sound mixed and graphics operated by a station assistant sat in the chair that a self-op presenter would sit in, whilst the presenter was sat in the main studio, with the studio camera routed onto the smaller pres sound and vision mixer. (Aston and Still store were remoted to the self-op position as well)

They were called Pres because they were originally designed for self-op English regional presentation, when often the interstitials between network shows were fully regional. They were later used for out-of-vision presentation for the English regional 30 minute shows (Thursday BBC Two being one slot?)

(Some regions - like Southampton - had remote panels in graphics, allowing it to be remotely controlled relieving the presenter from having to vision & sound mix and direct, effectively making graphics a mini-gallery. However other regions didn't - either because it meant building a third monitor stack with extra monitoring etc., or because they simply didn't have space)
TE
tellywatcher
Noticed this little documentary-type video on ITV Local, outlining the recent changes made to regional news output. Looks like it was only produced recently - quite ironic really... with the announcement today that ITV Local is to close.

These are "exciting times" apparently. Confused

http://www.itvlocal.com/central/news/?player=CEN_News_15&void=288190
BR
Brekkie
tellywatcher posted:
Noticed this little documentary-type video on ITV Local, outlining the recent changes made to regional news output. Looks like it was only produced recently - quite ironic really... with the announcement today that ITV Local is to close.

These are "exciting times" apparently. Confused

http://www.itvlocal.com/central/news/?player=CEN_News_15&void=288190

A great video there - just a shame the management are doing all they can to get rid. I don't really get who the video is aimed at really - it's the sort of thing which seems to target advertisers more than viewers, but considering the main local news is add free, there isn't really that flagship ad window for them.

Newer posts