The Newsroom

South West England & CI Thread

Justin Leigh to leave the BBC (January 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LC
Lewis c
All that was on the late bulletin was the tribute that had been shown earlier .The Presenter looked realy hacked off .
MI
mizzb
It was strange that they showed no news as there was plenty worth showing. Peter Griffin was the presenter , I bet he wished he was down the pub with the others. Wink Now there's the weekend bulletins to go and that's ya lot.

The end of Westcountry Live today really made this Friday the 13th the worst I can recall. Evil or Very Mad
LC
Lewis c
I thought that was the last from Westcountry tonight and the new service starts tomorrow.
MI
mizzb
You're quite right I've checked on Digiguide and it's listed as The West Country Today.

So it's over and it was an unusual way to finish off with Confused
SP
sprungli_bob
mizzb posted:
You're quite right I've checked on Digiguide and it's listed as The West Country Today.

The listings have it wrong I'm afraid; the two services (West and Westcountry) continue over the weekend. 'The West Country Tonight' launches on Monday 16th February.
PA
parrferris
I thought that must be the case or Peter would have said something at least. It would be nice if he did Westcountry's final broadcast though - after all, as a continuity announcer he opened the station.

I notice that Spotlight are now announcing that they are "Live from Plymouth" at every opportunity...
MI
mizzb
sprungli_bob posted:
mizzb posted:

The listings have it wrong I'm afraid; the two services (West and Westcountry) continue over the weekend. 'The West Country Tonight' launches on Monday 16th February.

Confusing isn't it . Anyway I hope for what it's worth they can end on a slightly happier note on Sunday.
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
According to Wikipedia, the name of the ITV region will change from Westcountry to "ITV South West" (so nearly TSW!) - so I guess we may see changes to the name on the Sky EPG and anywhere else that uses the name Westcountry.

Just wondering, but if they do change the region name, would this be reflected on those TVs which display channel names on analogue channels, because I know down there it comes up as ITV1 Westcountry, and it is still identified as this on the defunct ancillary teletext service...
JO
Jonny
James Vertigan posted:
Just wondering, but if they do change the region name, would this be reflected on those TVs which display channel names on analogue channels, because I know down there it comes up as ITV1 Westcountry, and it is still identified as this on the defunct ancillary teletext service...

I thought the analogue identifiers were all changed to 'itv1' around 2 years ago?
NH
Nick Harvey Founding member
Jonny posted:
I thought the analogue identifiers were all changed to 'itv1' around 2 years ago?

Not in the Westcountry region.

That's the only region where the transmitters were still fed from the Plympton studios and the local sub-opts were controlled from there, not the South Bank.

I assume they're changing the transmitter feeds over to the South Bank as we speak, so the feed from Monday can go from Bristol to the South Bank, then the South Bank direct to the transmitters.

I suspect the Teletext identifier might change to "itv1" as the transmitter feeds get changed over. Keep 'em peeled, as Shaw used to say!
NH
Nick Harvey Founding member
parrferris posted:
I notice that Spotlight are now announcing that they are "Live from Plymouth" at every opportunity.

And, though obviously shorter than the one on Westcountry, it was good that Spotlight did a nice tribute and compilation of ITV in the south-west on Friday's 6.30 edition.

I'd have expected that to have been mentioned on here, especially as it contained lots of Westward, TSW and Westcountry idernts.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
James Vertigan posted:
According to Wikipedia, the name of the ITV region will change from Westcountry to "ITV South West" (so nearly TSW!) - so I guess we may see changes to the name on the Sky EPG and anywhere else that uses the name Westcountry.

Is it going to really be a single region? Won't the former Westcountry and West regions still exist for advertising regions, and thus still be seperate feeds from DSat?

Newer posts