Media Websites

Network Six

(January 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
OV
Orry Verducci
I thought I'd start this topic to better promote Network Six, the role-play TV network that evolved from the APFS Network/6-Net. This week saw the start of Franchise Round 2009, and the launch of a new look website. All the franchise are up for grabs, split up over the next 4 weeks, so if anyone is interested feel free to join in.

For those who don't know about Network Six, it is essentially an ITV like network of regional TV franchises that members can bid for and run, with mocking graphics and sheduling being important parts of the game. More information and history can be found on the website and its Wiki.

Arrow http://www.networksix.co.uk/
MA
Malpass
I'm proud to say that I'm part of this, with some bids planned.

The franchise rounds came around quickly, but I should be able to make my bids successfully and of a good standard. If not, then more time for me to prepare!

Good thinking, Orry. We could do with some extra people involved, and this publicity can only be positive.
AG
AxG
I'll have a go! I love creating TV logos, but have nether released them onto the internet. I also like creating schedules.

So you may have some competition, ha ha! Smile
JB
JasonB
The link doesn't work at the moment.
OV
Orry Verducci
JasonB posted:
The link doesn't work at the moment.

It is working at the moment, although it seems the server is struggling with the load tonight, which I can't really do anything about as I'm on shared hosting. It's unusual for there to be a problem.
HO
House
Sorry if I'm being idiotic or stupid, as I can't see this elsewhere (and the Wiki and forums aren't working) but how exactly do you take part? Looks like great fun Very Happy

Many thanks

imnogoth
JO
Joe
http://channelauthority.networksix.co.uk/sixca_how.html#channel
MA
Malpass
imnogoth posted:
how exactly do you take part? Looks like great fun Very Happy

Well, basically you start up a media company (mine is Viridian Media Industries), and plan some franchise bids. The franchises are the ITV ones, with an East Scotland region, with Wales and West separated, and a Republic of Ireland region. You can bid for as many franchises as you desire, but can only have 2 (or 3, I can't remember).

Once you've chosen your franchise(s) to bid for, you'll need to prepare a portfolio for the bid. You will need to include (among other things) some sample graphics, for example idents and breakdown slides. More information is available on the websites, so check that out when you can.

Good luck!

EDIT: Looks like Jugalug beat me to it. Meh.
HO
House
thank you Jugalug

EDIT: thanks Malpass too - didnt refresh the page quick enough Smile
MA
Malpass
I bring bad news (well, for me anyway). Due to coursework, exams, the stress that comes with it and other stuff, there will be no franchise bids this year from Viridian Media Industries. I will still stay on Network Six, and plan for next year.

Malpass93
HO
House
Malpass93 posted:
I bring bad news (well, for me anyway). Due to coursework, exams, the stress that comes with it and other stuff, there will be no franchise bids this year from Viridian Media Industries. I will still stay on Network Six, and plan for next year.

Malpass93
Sad to hear that Malpass.

Some (quite a few) queries for you (as wiki isnt working, forums are down and can't find this elsewhere so sorry if it is!).

I assume schedules are completely false - i.e. all fictional programs rather than real ones put into your own schedule.

In terms of digital channels, how many are allocated, is there a limit and do they need to be like ITV's (i.e. channel 6 equivalents for ITV2, 3 and 4)? Also are these national or regional?

How often do franchises change/ last? And what happens to all the channels for which their websites are down (sorry if this would be clearer in the forums!)

Finally, how much (if any) of regional channels are the same throughout Network 6 - i.e. ITV is pretty much a fixed schedule with regional programming added in rather than each franchisee making all of the programming?

Many thanks for all my questions!

imnogoth
OV
Orry Verducci
imnogoth posted:
Some (quite a few) queries for you (as wiki isnt working, forums are down and can't find this elsewhere so sorry if it is!).

The Wiki and Forum now appear to be in working order. Unfortuantely when the server is under a lot of strain, the database starts refusing connections to avoid making it worse. As I said, it's unusual for that problem to crop up, so it should be fine from now on.

imnogoth posted:
I assume schedules are completely false - i.e. all fictional programs rather than real ones put into your own schedule.

It's a bit of both, largely ficticious although some real programming can be included, provided it isn't aired elsewhere of course.

imnogoth posted:
In terms of digital channels, how many are allocated, is there a limit and do they need to be like ITV's (i.e. channel 6 equivalents for ITV2, 3 and 4)? Also are these national or regional?

There is no limit as such, we work to 'one channel per format', so if you submit to run a digital channel when someone else is already running a similar channel, it'll be turned down. How they run, such as the areas they broadcast to and the platforms they are on, is up to the owner. Two digital channels are offered by the network as franchises, being Six Sports Network (SSN) which is split up regionally and Six HD, both of which have specific reqirements and limitations, as well as less freedom in terms of branding.

imnogoth posted:
How often do franchises change/ last? And what happens to all the channels for which their websites are down

They last for a year, with a franchise round at the beginning of each year.

imnogoth posted:
Finally, how much (if any) of regional channels are the same throughout Network 6 - i.e. ITV is pretty much a fixed schedule with regional programming added in rather than each franchisee making all of the programming?

There is a network schedule, although there is much more freedom than ITV.

Newer posts