Media Websites

bbc.co.uk

(September 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Moz
AxG posted:
BBC News has a new (I think) breaking news caption on the BBC News website, but it only appears on the article and not on the front page.

I think, from what they said when they introced it, that it appears on every BBC News page apart from the front page (which has the ticker anyway).

I've never seen it though.
BH
Bvsh Hovse
Moz posted:
I think, from what they said when they introced it, that it appears on every BBC News page apart from the front page (which has the ticker anyway).

I'll be impressed if they managed to get it on to every page. More likely is that it can be made to appear on all the pages published since the last redesign - as they will have the necessary SSI inside the code.

Contrary to popular belief, most BBC pages are static. So unless you already have an SSI in the right place, you would have to republish every page you wanted to include a new element on.
MO
Moz
Bvsh Hovse posted:
Moz posted:

I'll be impressed if they managed to get it on to every page. More likely is that it can be made to appear on all the pages published since the last redesign - as they will have the necessary SSI inside the code.

Contrary to popular belief, most BBC pages are static. So unless you already have an SSI in the right place, you would have to republish every page you wanted to include a new element on.

Well every page with the new look/banner then! Rolling Eyes
BB
BBC LDN
A new(ish) special report menu page has been launched for "The Downturn", along with a truly horrible header layout.

Click here to see the page.

The one redeeming feature is that the right-aligned graphic lines up with the column below it. Other than that, horrible.
HO
House
BBC LDN posted:
A new(ish) special report menu page has been launched for "The Downturn", along with a truly horrible header layout.

Click here to see the page.

The one redeeming feature is that the right-aligned graphic lines up with the column below it. Other than that, horrible.
Simply ghastly.
PE
Pete Founding member
I've noticed this with the magazine as it seems to be the only one that uses the full width
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine

why they don't just make a proper graphic with a space for the header text in it is beyond me although i suspect that the CMS behind the news site might have some to do with it.
KI
kirkwjohn
bbc.co.uk

Theres no News!!!
AG
AxG
kirkwjohn posted:
bbc.co.uk

Theres no News!!!

Have you clicked the "Customise your homepage button" to see if "News" is unchecked?
KI
kirkwjohn
AxG posted:
kirkwjohn posted:
bbc.co.uk

Theres no News!!!

Have you clicked the "Customise your homepage button" to see if "News" is unchecked?

Yeah it was there, instead of the headlines and pictures there was BBC logos and (none) as the text.

Ill upload a pic
BH
Bvsh Hovse
BBC LDN posted:

The page does seem very busy, it looks like someone was fighting against the grid layout to get everything on the page.

I had the design philosophy behind Persian explained to me some time back, and I was quite sceptical about 'don't be afraid of whitespace' and 'give the content room to breath'. But the downturn page is probably a good example of what happens when you don't.

If they dropped the vertical navigation and let the content use the full width then it would look better - rather than just sticking in a new column into the space gained from moving to 1024 wide. The Iran index is quite content heavy, but the use of the full 1024 width makes it easier on the eye.

Problem is that these sort of layout changes involve creating new grids, which requires lots of development effort in CPS. Even the World Service Topcat system with its gridbuilder module (as used by Persian) still requires a lot of regression testing on any new grid. It's not unknown for an existing module to do something strange when dropped into into a cell that has a different size and position to those its previously been used in.
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
Just noticed the info section appears to have been converted to wide, not too sure how recently this was done...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/info/
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
The /radio section has now been converted to the wide layout...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/
...I'm not sure if I like it though, as now (at present at least) it requires an extra click to get to the radio station.

Newer posts