TV Home Forum

Strictly Come Dancing 2008

No elimination... all three in final next week. (August 2008)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RE
Revitt
Markymark posted:
It's all one huge publicity stunt, for nothing more than an entertainment show.
It's of no importance. I spotted at lunch time a 'BREAKING NEWS' banner on the BBC News channel. More media self-obsession.

You know, I really find it quite disturbing that these stories are treated as newsworthy. It is an entertainment show and should not go anywhere near the news output, not least at a time when there are far more important news items to be covered.

It's bad enough when the news websites report the latest evictee of these so-called reality shows, but to have a breaking news banner to announce the story is simply taking the p*ss.

I've nothing against these shows, even though I've no intention of giving them the time of day myself, but please can we keep them off the news output.
MA
Markymark
imnogoth posted:
How/ why/ how did it make the first 15 minutes of the BBC News at One,

15 Minutes !!!!! Tell me you're joking ! Unbelievable.
NG
noggin Founding member
Markymark posted:
imnogoth posted:
How/ why/ how did it make the first 15 minutes of the BBC News at One,

15 Minutes !!!!! Tell me you're joking ! Unbelievable.

It was 4 minutes of content IN the first 15 minutes (a short package and then a phono interview with Bruce I think) , just before the promos. It wasn't the lead and it wasn't 15 mins duration.
MO
Moz
Can't believe Eggheads cancelled for this drivel!
JA
jamesmd
Moz posted:

Would rather see SCD than Dermot Murnaghan and a bunch of pompous brainboxes who probably haven't been laid in years.
CY
cylon6
The most surreal thing is seeing Jeremy Paxman at John Sergeant's press conference!! Shocked
WI
Wicko
Revitt posted:
Markymark posted:
It's all one huge publicity stunt, for nothing more than an entertainment show.
It's of no importance. I spotted at lunch time a 'BREAKING NEWS' banner on the BBC News channel. More media self-obsession.

You know, I really find it quite disturbing that these stories are treated as newsworthy. It is an entertainment show and should not go anywhere near the news output, not least at a time when there are far more important news items to be covered.

It's bad enough when the news websites report the latest evictee of these so-called reality shows, but to have a breaking news banner to announce the story is simply taking the p*ss.

I've nothing against these shows, even though I've no intention of giving them the time of day myself, but please can we keep them off the news output.

I guess it's because things are so grim at present that these entertainment shows are cheering everyone up one way or another. Therefore I guesss broadcasters considered to be a lighter story that most people would be interested in. I agree though, a Breaking News banner was a bit OTT.
MO
Moz
JAH posted:
Moz posted:

Would rather see SCD than Dermot Murnaghan and a bunch of pompous brainboxes who probably haven't been laid in years.

Rather see Jeremy Vine (Dermot left ages ago) with people who haven't been laid in years than something with people who've only been laid by people from the same gender!
MA
Markymark
Moz posted:

No, that's fine. A disposable quiz game that can be shown at any other time, replaced by an extension of the SCD spin off show. Nothing wrong with that, and just the place to have acres of coverage about this matter. News broadcasts are certainly NOT the appropriate place for this however..
JO
Joe
Moz posted:
Rather see Jeremy Vine (Dermot left ages ago) with people who haven't been laid in years than something with people who've only been laid by people from the same gender!

Do you realise that that comes across as homophobic?
IS
Isonstine Founding member
Jugalug posted:
Moz posted:

Do you realise that that comes across as homophobic?

I was just about to post the same thing - a little strong perhaps Moz?
MI
Michael
Markymark posted:
I spotted at lunch time a 'BREAKING NEWS' banner on the BBC News channel. More media self-obsession.

And Sky. And ITV. And all over the websites.

Newer posts