TV Home Forum

The Gadget Show

(August 2008)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DA
David
The last episode of The Gadget Show was on Five yesterday, I only caught the end of it but I did enter the competition. Today I watched the whole show on Fiver as I normally do on a Tuesday. For some reason, they had removed all references to the competition from the version shown on Fiver. I wonder if they broadcast the wrong version. They also had a disclaimer on screen at the end saying that all prices were correct as of August 2008. This makes me think they broadcast a version meant for repeat showings in the future rather than the next day. It will be interesting to see what version is shown on Sunday morning on Five.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
This isn't unique to Fiver, the same thing happened when More4 show Deal or No Deal. The competition there now doesn't close until late at night, yet More4 have always shown the "Competition closed" version even after the competition format was changed when the Premium Rate scandal blew up. Most likely to be policy that you show the competition to the widest possible audience - ie on the main service.
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
It probably makes it easier when repeating programmes so that once handed out to another channel it can be reshown infinite times. For another channel having two version available (one with competition shown) could lead to the wrong tape being played and someone complaining to OFCOM etc.
DA
David
Charlie Wells posted:
It probably makes it easier when repeating programmes so that once handed out to another channel it can be reshown infinite times. For another channel having two version available (one with competition shown) could lead to the wrong tape being played and someone complaining to OFCOM etc.

That theory certainly makes sense but if it is policy and not just a mistake then I wonder why things were changed. Certainly up until last week, the version of The Gadget Show on Fiver has had the competition included. In fact, I've always thought that the reason The Gadget Show competition closes the following Monday at 12pm was so that viewers of the various repeats could also enter.
CY
cylon6
But when the show is repeated on a Sunday on Channel 5 the competition details are back in there. Confused
DA
David
cylon6 posted:
But when the show is repeated on a Sunday on Channel 5 the competition details are back in there. Confused

Up in now, yes. Will the competition be mentioned this Sunday though?
CY
cylon6
Well I didn't know it was repeated on Fiver so watch the Sunday repeat and everytime I have the competition details have been there.
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
davidlees posted:
The last episode of The Gadget Show was on Five yesterday, I only caught the end of it but I did enter the competition.

Well that was a waste of time, because I'm going to win it.

Man I want that OLED telly!
CY
cylon6
Gavin Scott posted:
davidlees posted:
The last episode of The Gadget Show was on Five yesterday, I only caught the end of it but I did enter the competition.

Well that was a waste of time, because I'm going to win it.

Man I want that OLED telly!
I've entered the competition every week and it's driving mad that I don't win. I want those tellies and computers so badly!!!
GS
cylon6 posted:
I've entered the competition every week and it's driving mad that I don't win. I want those tellies and computers so badly!!!

Yep - without exception it is the one competition that I enter week after week. Those prizes are always fantastic. I watch them reading out the list and I mull over what I'd keep, what I'd give to friends and what I'd sell.

Most of it I would keep! Wink
DA
David
Gavin Scott posted:
cylon6 posted:

Yep - without exception it is the one competition that I enter week after week. Those prizes are always fantastic. I watch them reading out the list and I mull over what I'd keep, what I'd give to friends and what I'd sell.

Most of it I would keep! Wink

I wonder how many entries they get each week. I have noticed that if I enter the competition on Monday, when they first mention the competition, the "Thanks for entering" text can take 2 to 3 minutes to come back. If I enter later (if I have to look up the answer) or when it is shown on Fiver then the text comes back within 30 seconds. This leads me to believe they have quite a few entries on Monday. Certainly enough to slow their systems down.

I do think its probably a waste of £1.50 entering this every week and I have a rule that I don't normally enter competitions on terestrial channels (I don't like the chances) but when it comes to The Gadget Show, I just keep imaging having all those boxes delivered.

Anyway, it was the last episode of the series so I will be £1.50 per week better off, at least until October.
GS
Likewise.

I suppose I could always invest my pound-fifty in STV's "Watch to Win" - but I probably won't.

The gadget show has been excellent again this series. I quite like the new presenter, Dallas, despite his odd name and desperate need of a haircut. He seems really familiar to me, too - but I can't think where I would know him from.

The older presenter - forgotten his name - seems a little misplaced now with the other three. A couple of weeks ago he interviewed some supermodel or other and I found myself cringing a bit at his banter with her.

I'm sure he's a very skilled journo, but he doesn't sit well with the relaxed yet energetic team. When they sit about in the studio he appears a little uncomfortable.

I wonder if he'll be back next year. They certainly don't need four hosts.

And someone needs to explain what a "gadget" is to Suzie. Her favourite "gadget" of this series was a kite and buggy for use at the beach.

Fun it might be - but a gadget it wasn't.

Newer posts