TV Home Forum

Doctor Who- The New Series (W/O spoilers)

(June 2008)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RR
Ronnie Rowlands
Why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why?

1. Shocking cliffhanger that gets resolved in a record 22 seconds!
2. Two Doctors! One so that Rose can be happy, the other so that we can continue on with the show.
3. German Daleks that can't actually speak German correctly!
4. TARDIS = giant tow-truck for Earth
5. Rose's mum
7. REALITY BOMB ONOES!

All of the major plot points of the episode just seemed to be one giant fanwank. I'm sure all the fangirls were squealing when they got to see their precious Rose kiss the now part-human Doctor (OMG NOW THEY CAN B TOGETHUR FoReVeR!!!). But was it important to the plot at all? No. I'm pretty sure RTD could've written the episode without the unnecessary regeneration scene--which by the way accomplished nothing in the 22 seconds in which it occurred except to confuse the hell out of everyone. And were his explanations any good? No. Using big science-y words like "neutrino" does not qualify as a valid explanation.

In short, the episode was melodramatic and so utterly meaningless in the course of the entire series that Donna was able to feasibly wake up, receive a text message from a friend about the sky being filled with planets, call her friend and tell her she was being silly, and then go on to have a normal gossipy conversation.

It was so vomit inducingly uplifting. Ditto what I said last week. Over blown, over epic, favoring explosions and people and action over narrative clarity, "humans are great". Dalek Caan saw what the Daleks "did" so he turned against them? That is now how the Daleks are created. They are the ultimate racists, they see no wrong in what they do, and Caan didn't even specify what the Daleks did. Only one part of this made me think in the same way that Midnight did all those times, and that was Davros highlighting how many people die in the Doctor's wake. The hugging and clapping at the end was tiresome.

The one redeeming feature of this episode was Davros. He was indescribably awesome, his ranting was superb. Just a shame his "evil scheme" was ****. "Zoon I shall detonate ze reality bomb, mahahahahaaaa".

But seriously, it was just too much Drama, too much emotion, too much Rose. Oh don't get me started on Rose. All the crying, all the whinging. I applauded when the Tardis took off without her. I thought "SUCK IT BITCH".

I'm just hoping that now they can retire all these characters. Martha and Co, Rose and Co. Just get rid and start afresh with new companions without the whole family being dragged in like it's some soap opera. Lets have more thought provoking science fiction and less explosions and kissing and romance.
JO
Johnny83
Ronnie Rowlands posted:
Why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why?

1. Shocking cliffhanger that gets resolved in a record 22 seconds!
2. Two Doctors! One so that Rose can be happy, the other so that we can continue on with the show.
3. German Daleks that can't actually speak German correctly!
4. TARDIS = giant tow-truck for Earth
5. Rose's mum
7. REALITY BOMB ONOES!

All of the major plot points of the episode just seemed to be one giant fan****. I'm sure all the fangirls were squealing when they got to see their precious Rose kiss the now part-human Doctor (OMG NOW THEY CAN B TOGETHUR FoReVeR!!!). But was it important to the plot at all? No. I'm pretty sure RTD could've written the episode without the unnecessary regeneration scene--which by the way accomplished nothing in the 22 seconds in which it occurred except to confuse the hell out of everyone. And were his explanations any good? No. Using big science-y words like "neutrino" does not qualify as a valid explanation.

In short, the episode was melodramatic and so utterly meaningless in the course of the entire series that Donna was able to feasibly wake up, receive a text message from a friend about the sky being filled with planets, call her friend and tell her she was being silly, and then go on to have a normal gossipy conversation.

It was so vomit inducingly uplifting. Ditto what I said last week. Over blown, over epic, favoring explosions and people and action over narrative clarity, "humans are great". Dalek Caan saw what the Daleks "did" so he turned against them? That is now how the Daleks are created. They are the ultimate racists, they see no wrong in what they do, and Caan didn't even specify what the Daleks did. Only one part of this made me think in the same way that Midnight did all those times, and that was Davros highlighting how many people die in the Doctor's wake. The hugging and clapping at the end was tiresome.

The one redeeming feature of this episode was Davros. He was indescribably awesome, his ranting was superb. Just a shame his "evil scheme" was ****e. "Zoon I shall detonate ze reality bomb, mahahahahaaaa".

But seriously, it was just too much Drama, too much emotion, too much Rose. Oh don't get me started on Rose. All the crying, all the whinging. I applauded when the Tardis took off without her. I thought "SUCK IT BITCH".

I'm just hoping that now they can retire all these characters. Martha and Co, Rose and Co. Just get rid and start afresh with new companions without the whole family being dragged in like it's some soap opera. Lets have more thought provoking science fiction and less explosions and kissing and romance.

I'll be honest I liked it, but to be fair b*gg*r Rose, let her [Removed as too crude for this forum] with the Second 10th Doctor Wink Just move on with her, she outstayed her welcome and wasn't neccessary, as for Martha I like her so to be fair never had a problem with her.
LI
littlesmegger
The regeneration was infact fairly important to the plot, as it allowed the hand to be contaminated with the energy that Donna then absorbed. So yes, those '22 seconds' actually ended up being the plot-ark that ended the series [the DoctorDonna etc].

Rose and Martha were nothing but extras in the end sadly... well, I say sadly, the lesser of Martha the better in my opinion! Laughing

Donna and Wilf made this series, and it's a shame that they're not going to be seen again. Every other companion has the potential to be brought back, Donna would be killed if they attempted it so I'm afraid no theories will be able to help Donna's character return.

All in all, as much as the plot was good, it was far too cramped. Rose seemed pointless because there wasn't enough room for her sub-plot to be built up enough. There was no one-on-one conversation with the Doctor or anything. The same can be said for characters such as Gwen and Ianto [other than the link they've now made with her appearance in Series 1, no holes left I don't think regarding cameos is there?]. And it's fairly obvious Martha and Mickey are heading off to Torchwood, in which case it's bye bye 9pm slot and hello CBBC! Confused

If they'd started the 2-part finale perhaps an episode earlier and made it a true 3-parter, then there wouldn't be all the complaints regarding it feeling cramped. But it's too late to sit complaining, let's just start feeling withdrawl symptoms until christmas and the return of the Cybermen...
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
Well I loved it. Absolutely loved it.

The concerns I had about a grand cast reunion were largely put aside, and for the most part they all had something useful to contribute.

I was a bit torn about the second Doctor living out his life as a mortal - but in essence it spoke to that part of the character that is forever lonely and tragic - and it was a charming final gift from RTD to the character he has helped to flesh out over four years. Both the Doctor and Rose, really. He's certainly added an emotional aspect that I don't remember from the classic series (some may say "soap opera"), but it has opened up the series to women in a way it never appealed before.

Donna's final journey back to the life she had was a tragedy in a way - but I'm so pleased she didn't die in the sense of the word I was expecting. Tate has been such a wonderful addition to the cast I will miss her a great deal - but I look forward to the work she will do in the future. I'd like to think she'll pick up a gong for this series.

The master was quite simply wonderful to watch. A total triumph.

All in all I've loved every minute of this series - and any niggling plot holes were negated by the overall satisfaction I had seeing the ends tie up.

Bravo.
JO
Johnny83
Gavin Scott posted:
Well I loved it. Absolutely loved it.

The concerns I had about a grand cast reunion were largely put aside, and for the most part they all had something useful to contribute.

I was a bit torn about the second Doctor living out his life as a mortal - but in essence it spoke to that part of the character that is forever lonely and tragic - and it was a charming final gift from RTD to the character he has helped to flesh out over four years. Both the Doctor and Rose, really. He's certainly added an emotional aspect that I don't remember from the classic series (some may say "soap opera"), but it has opened up the series to women in a way it never appealed before.

Donna's final journey back to the life she had was a tragedy in a way - but I'm so pleased she didn't die in the sense of the word I was expecting. Tate has been such a wonderful addition to the cast I will miss her a great deal - but I look forward to the work she will do in the future. I'd like to think she'll pick up a gong for this series.

The master was quite simply wonderful to watch. A total triumph.

All in all I've loved every minute of this series - and any niggling plot holes were negated by the overall satisfaction I had seeing the ends tie up.

Bravo.

Nice little review the Gavin, although by Master I take it you mean Davros Wink

I think you've hit an important nail on the head there as well, never more has the series been more accessible to the masses, which I think is something some don't like (not Ronnie above some of the "real true fans" Rolling Eyes Laughing on the OG Forums. Show someone a Pertwee story to a Tennant 2/3 parter & I think people would stick more to the latter & no it's not me slating the old series.

I aboslutely love the Hartnell-Troughton & T.Baker-C.Baker eras. I find Pertwee's a chore mainly, as at times, it's the same old same old (6 parter story that could have easily been a 4 parter, set on Earth with some really unconvincing monster invading). However he does have some crackers during his era (The Daemons, Inferno, Spearhead, Terror Of The Autons, Invasion Of The Dinosaurs Laughing a few of my favourites). McCoy however is a completely different story, I mean honestly do we really want to go back to that era. Laughing

Newer posts