The Newsroom

BBC TÜRKÇE TV - Dünya Gündemi (World Agenda)

(June 2008)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BH
Bvsh Hovse
BBC Turkish is launching a new current affairs programme on Turkey's leading 24-hour news channel, NTV.

From today, Dünya Gündemi (World Agenda) will be offering Turkish TV audiences in-depth analysis of issues dominating the global agenda.

More from the BBC Press Office

First edition here
GO
gottago
Not the nicest set in the world, nor the best editing.

Just like when Arabic launched, it's weird to see BBC graphics coupled with a foreign language.
SE
Seb
What a mish mash of music there and the old 2003-2006 national news desk!
NG
noggin Founding member
Dear God - can someone please remove the DVE effects from their editing system?

Cube turns, splits, matrix effects - I thought I was back in the early 80s for a second... What's wrong with a simple cut, or mix if you have to (but not between sync and pieces to camera.)

Ah - just seen the studio. Compact... Presenter very close to back wall (lovely key shadow), and opening wide shot not wide enough to nicely mix with opening link shot (either the wide shot needs to be wider or the main link shot nearer an MCU)

Suspect the "back to the 80s" effects were just for a special "This is our new service - it's dead good" opening sequence. The actual packages were much better cut.

Interesting attempt - suspect the content is higher quality than the presentation - though for a very basic news bulletin it isn't bad. A bit more consistency, some slightly better composed and framed shots, and it could look quite a lot better - but I suspect it is being done quickly, with non-TV trained staff, on a low budget.

And I'm sure they should be using Gill Sans for their name supers...
BH
Bvsh Hovse
I think your summary is fair, and probably not far from the truth. Although I've not had a chance to speak to any of the team yet.

It was presented from the old webcast studio at the front of Bush House which was left as a shell with a lighting grid (and the old news desk) when New Media moved to White City. It has never been reequipped, despite several years of talking about it. I'm sure once everyone gains some experience and they get some permanent equipment in there it will look much better. I don't think they even have VT playback at the moment in the studio.

One of the big things to come out of this in presentation terms is that it is the first time that the new Lambie Nairn News branding has been used in a language other than English.
MD
mdtauk
Bvsh Hovse posted:
I think your summary is fair, and probably not far from the truth. Although I've not had a chance to speak to any of the team yet.

It was presented from the old webcast studio at the front of Bush House which was left as a shell with a lighting grid (and the old news desk) when New Media moved to White City. It has never been reequipped, despite several years of talking about it. I'm sure once everyone gains some experience and they get some permanent equipment in there it will look much better. I don't think they even have VT playback at the moment in the studio.

One of the big things to come out of this in presentation terms is that it is the first time that the new Lambie Nairn News branding has been used in a language other than English.

It is interesting seeing a new variation on the new BBC News brand. The blue and red orb, with its UK landmark sweeps are certainly different to the globe and rings. Although the placenames seem relatively the same. The text on the straps should be gill sans and smaller to take into account the accents and dieretics.

I wonder if the orb was part of Lambie-Nairn's original brand work, intended for foreign language use or was this developed by BBC internally as an interpretation of the branding. BBC Arabic also use an orb shape with no globe motif, so maybe this is what to expect for BBC Arabic when it goes 24hours and adopts the new branding. There may be issues with using the globe imagery in some regions, hence the safe orb look.

Also the temporary studio (it certainly looks like a temporary set) uses a ring around the orb, and the rings are used on some of the graphics, but not in the titles. Any reason for this?
HA
harshy Founding member
Bvsh Hovse posted:

The Laimbie Nairn branding is not very good, and it looks worse with BBC Turkey.

But the titles are nice.
JO
Joe
That opening sequence almost made my eyes bleed.
HA
harshy Founding member
Jugalug posted:
That opening sequence almost made my eyes bleed.

The blue orb bit?
JO
Joe
Just the whole thing.
MD
mdtauk
6-6-08 edition

It seems better without the bad 3d effects, and the tacky Big Ben chime intro VT...
EY
the eye
harshy posted:

The Laimbie Nairn branding is not very good, and it looks worse with BBC Turkey.

But the titles are nice.

But the titles are Lambie Nairn? How does that work?

Newer posts