Media Websites

Zero Tolerance - Discussion

(March 2008)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GR
gregmc
Great idea Bail, and indeed the graphic is very 'street'. Trying to get down with the youth of the forum now are you! Surprised
MO
moss Founding member
What a silly idea. I run a forum, and the key to good moderation is to a) Generally let a forum moderate itself, and b) When you have to intervene, to have *clear*, *consistent* rules for the kind of behaviour you will tolerate, and the kind of behaviour you won't.

If you feel like the rules need enforcing more, then fine - enforce them. And give a warning, sure. But they should be enforced *consistently*, so people know where they stand. A zero-tolerance week is just silly.
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
I'd like to go on record that I'm *absolutely sure* this thread is entirely unconnected with the return of Tumble Tower.
JE
Jenny Founding member
Bail posted:
Spell checking is incredibly easy in this day and age. Whilst not a requirement of the forum, using “txt” speak or being generally unintelligible makes it hard for others to read, and can insight unnecessary frustration. Therefore people with unintelligible posts may also be warned.

I've spotted one of those already. Someone's written "Banned or be Dammed", which is misspelled, incorrectly punctuated and completely illogical. The perpetrator really ought to be dealt with in the harshest possible manner.
GS
Jenny posted:
Bail posted:
Spell checking is incredibly easy in this day and age. Whilst not a requirement of the forum, using “txt” speak or being generally unintelligible makes it hard for others to read, and can insight unnecessary frustration. Therefore people with unintelligible posts may also be warned.

I've spotted one of those already. Someone's written "Banned or be Dammed", which is misspelled, incorrectly punctuated and completely illogical. The perpetrator really ought to be dealt with in the harshest possible manner.

He was. He was sacked, innit?
IT
itsrobert Founding member
moss posted:
What a silly idea. I run a forum, and the key to good moderation is to a) Generally let a forum moderate itself, and b) When you have to intervene, to have *clear*, *consistent* rules for the kind of behaviour you will tolerate, and the kind of behaviour you won't.

If you feel like the rules need enforcing more, then fine - enforce them. And give a warning, sure. But they should be enforced *consistently*, so people know where they stand. A zero-tolerance week is just silly.

Yep, all it will do is silence members next week and then once the week is up, they'll come flooding back. I could maybe understand it if there was actually a need for it but right now, the forum seems to be ticking along pretty nicely.
JO
Joe
Yes. This is an excellent idea. It will certainly stop all trolls, and I'm absolutely certain that the right people will be dealt with.

Yeah right. It'll probably be the usual people who get warned - Hymagumba, Nick Harvey, Gavin - simply for criticising the way this 'week' is being run.
GS
Warned, dear? Who, dear? Me, dear? No, dear.
JO
Joe
Oh. Well. Erm. Ignore me.
BA
Bail Moderator
I don't think Gavin has ever been warned, Hyma and Nick were over the "death thread" if I recall, but again theres only 2 people who are currently on in the "hall of shame" and thats for general trolling.

The idea of this isn't to single anyone out, just to remind people not to take on problems they may have with other members on themselves, I'd much rather people just RTP'ed people they spot doing things they shouldn't. TV Home Forum, The Newsroom, and Media Websites are generally fine, its just Mocks and Requests where people are a little more annoying/rude etc. But anywhoo, I don't care if you don't like it, I didn't expect any of you to, but, your thoughts are taken on board.
TV
tvarksouthwest
Can Zero Tolerance Week please move into permanent operation?

I'm sure it will have been noticed that I am now limiting my involvement with this forum due to continued unpleasantness/provocation from others.
MH
miss hellfire
What a load of old tosh. I can't see what zero tolerance achieves except for a few more vocal members being quiet for several days. Some members are intolerant to the dweebs but most of the membership use common sense and self discipline when dealing with idiots. If there is to be zero tolerance it should be 24/7 for 365 days not just for a week.

Newer posts