TV Home Forum

Skins

(January 2008)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DB
dbl
They've just lost me as a viewer for next year if thats what their planning!
NI
Nicky
dbl posted:
They've just lost me as a viewer for next year if thats what their planning!

Me too. As has been said, they can utilise the current younger characters and bring in their friends... etc, and develop storylines for them. No need to replace the whole cast!
OV
Orry Verducci
In my opinion they should have utilised Effy as a lead character for the next series, that way they can still focus on young teenage life with her and her peers, but at the same time keep the current cast in the show
PA
paul_hadley
Huge mistake by the Skins makers in my opinion.

At least when Shameless brought in the new family, they left the originals there and have been fazing some of them out slowly.
BR
Brekkie
lateshowuk posted:
Huge mistake by the Skins makers in my opinion.

At least when Shameless brought in the new family, they left the originals there and have been fazing some of them out slowly.

That's true - I know some people haven't stuck with Shameless but when introducing "new" characters it's been more about building up minor characters from before and perhaps adding to their family like the Maguires.
GR
gregmc
A terrible decision. A second bunch will never work as well as the current cast, skins is dead in the water now.
R2
r2ro
I was wondering what they were going to do at the end of the series, baring in mind that the characters will have finished college and moved on. However bringing in a completely new cast seems to me to be hanging onto the success of the programme and not wanting to let go. I'd have thought they would have just finished the programme, maybe doing a one-off special around Christmas, and left it at that - a successful show.

In fairness most of the characters are based heavily on teen stereotypes - does this mean we're going to have more people based in these same stereotypes or are they going to be based on completely separate ideas.

I'm enjoying this series though. It's been pretty good so far.
GR
gregmc
r2ro posted:
I was wondering what they were going to do at the end of the series, baring in mind that the characters will have finished college and moved on. However bringing in a completely new cast seems to me to be hanging onto the success of the programme and not wanting to let go. I'd have thought they would have just finished the programme, maybe doing a one-off special around Christmas, and left it at that - a successful show.

In fairness most of the characters are based heavily on teen stereotypes - does this mean we're going to have more people based in these same stereotypes or are they going to be based on completely separate ideas.

Nothing quite beats the first series though does it!

I agree with you that they should just finish at the end of this series, quit while ahead.
JO
Joe
I suppose it could work, but on paper, it sounds like a truly awful decision.
BE
Ben Founding member
I'm not surprised, in fact I expected it. I'm assuming the current cast will actually be written out by going to Uni etc and I wouldn't be surprised if Effy did stay in anyway.
DA
David_02
gregmc posted:
r2ro posted:

Nothing quite beats the first series though does it!

I agree with you that they should just finish at the end of this series, quit while ahead.

I think the second series has so far blown the first out of the water actually. Whilst the first was good it was largely establishing characters and their relationships, but this series has really begun to get into the psyche of the characters and as a result it's become a lot darker and deeper and has made for a very enjoyable watch. Which is why I just think it's a terrible decision. There is so much more they could explore with these characters. Even if that was it then I'd rather they ended the show instead of just bringing in a new cast and carrying it on under the 'Skins' name, because it might still be called Skins but it will be a completely different show.
DA
David_02
Ben posted:
I'm not surprised, in fact I expected it. I'm assuming the current cast will actually be written out by going to Uni etc and I wouldn't be surprised if Effy did stay in anyway.

According to MediaGuardian
one of the characters will also be killed off.

Newer posts