TV Home Forum

Sport relief

some one donates 5.5 million (March 2008)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JR
jrothwell97
Top Ground Gear Force was one of the funniest things I've seen in ages.

I didn't see the celebrity boxing: who lost? (Please say Ben Shephard got KOd... please...)
CY
cylon6
jrothwell97 posted:

I didn't see the celebrity boxing: who lost? (Please say Ben Shephard got KOd... please...)

I didn't even know Celebrity Boxing was back, who was fighting?
GR
gregmc
cylon6 posted:
jrothwell97 posted:

I didn't even know Celebrity Boxing was back, who was fighting?

Ben Shepard from GMTV Vs Lemar. Didnt see it myself though.
CY
cylon6
gregmc posted:

Ben Shepard from GMTV Vs Lemar. Didnt see it myself though.

They both deserve a pounding I hope they both lost. Very Happy
PA
paul_hadley
Ben Shephard won.
CY
cylon6
lateshowuk posted:
Ben Shephard won.
Shocked

Now that I did not expect!!
IT
InventThamesValley
Will TGGF be repeated/released on DVD/go on iplayer at all as I didn't record as I didn't think it would be that funny.

Also I wasn't being sarcastic and i didn't know it was scripted.
JC
JCB
I must be the only one who thought TGFG was awful then. I've really tired of the show since Hammond's career boosting crash took the show mainstream. It's becoming increasingly self-indulgent and the spontaneous (read achingly contrived) "stunts" I don't really find funny anymore. Watching TGFG felt like watching Chucklevision at times.

As for Sport Relief - this was the worst one yet due to the ever decreasing actual sport connections (let's get Parky to talk about sport Rolling Eyes ). It's morphing into a low-fi Comic Relief which itself has strayed well away from it's "comic" roots and is now just a general entertainment telethon with any old crap thrown in. The 2 are going to end up identical....taking credibility from both in the process.
FA
fanoftv
JCB posted:
I must be the only one who thought TGFG was awful then. I've really tired of the show since Hammond's career boosting crash took the show mainstream. It's becoming increasingly self-indulgent and the spontaneous (read achingly contrived) "stunts" I don't really find funny anymore. Watching TGFG felt like watching Chucklevision at times.

As for Sport Relief - this was the worst one yet due to the ever decreasing actual sport connections (let's get Parky to talk about sport Rolling Eyes ). It's morphing into a low-fi Comic Relief which itself has strayed well away from it's "comic" roots and is now just a general entertainment telethon with any old crap thrown in. The 2 are going to end up identical....taking credibility from both in the process.

It was a strange night, they really just had sports stars doing normal things, and there wasn't much live this year, I think Children In Need had more live acts.

It strange that the two sporting events the celebrity boxing and the Ross v Carr tennis were pushed to around 11-12.

As I was trying to wake up for work this morning, I sat watching Dick & Dom's Sport Relief highlights from the past 4 years, and it amazed me at how quickly it's lost the track.

Even in 2006 they were doing celebrity specials with sporting themes, such as Only Fools On Horses, where as this year they do the apprentice that didn't even have sporting stars.

I did enjoy Top Ground Gear Force, but maybe some sort of grand prix/challenge with the top gear boys against formula 1 drivers would have had more of a sporting connection.

Really the best show that would tie into Sport Relief would be The Games, which was a fantastic week long sports fest that channel 4 for some reason dropped.
It has the celebrities that all channels seem to dream of, and the sports to link it back into the main idea of the programme.

I did think that the 2002 sport relief Saturday night bar set up was a bit rubbish, but at least 2004 and 06 had a bit more well, sport.
PT
Put The Telly On
I agree with JCB, TGGF was very Chucklevision. I mean, fair enough it's all for charity but you can't help but think that alot of charity skits are just plain stupid now.

The only thing I enjoyed was The Apprentice because in eye and sight it wasn't just about stars showing off or trying to show off for charity - or at least, it didn't come across as that.
PT
Put The Telly On
I suppose it's hard on budget and health and safety rules these days to abseil down TV centre for example, you know, things like that seem to be no more.
AN
Andrew Founding member
The Spot Relief programme that is on air now on BBC1 seems to have quite dodgy technical standards. You can bearly hear the presenters at times

Newer posts