TV Home Forum

More from inside the Central studios

(March 2008)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
Mark Boulton posted:

Arrow I meant the tapes *in* the LMS, not the LMS. Although I was not thinking about the LMS, the LMS *was* a landmark device. I disagree totally on your analysis that it wasn't. It was a major stepping stone between separate VT decks and playout servers.

But it wasn't the first or the only one of it's type.

As for the tapes, they're likely to be long forgotten trails or adverts (or even a cleaning tape!) . Just because they were left behind in a derelict building doesn't make them useful or interesting.... the fact they were left behind means they weren't even interested in them as blank stock!

Quote:
Arrow The original Blockbusters theme, as a clean recording (of which there was a 1/4" tape found in the debris), seems to be an item that ITV can't find anywhere else since their Kids TV Themes CD contains a re-recording rather than the original. No transmitted copy of Blockbusters contains the theme tune without applause plastered over the last several seconds.

I haven't seen a pic of a Blockbusters theme tape, so no comment. But there could be other reasons why it didn't appear on a CD!

Quote:
Arrow If museums weren't interested in items that ordinary people aren't interested in or have no use for in their day-to-day lives, because they're historical and obsolete, there would be no such things as museums.

Yes, they should collect interesting and obsolete items from people's lives.... but that doesn't mean they should collect everything!

Where do they draw the line? They can't take every voice over or sound effect tape that every TV station ever used - the ones in that rack are nowt special!
:-(
A former member
Inspector Sands posted:

Quote:
Arrow The original Blockbusters theme, as a clean recording (of which there was a 1/4" tape found in the debris), seems to be an item that ITV can't find anywhere else since their Kids TV Themes CD contains a re-recording rather than the original. No transmitted copy of Blockbusters contains the theme tune without applause plastered over the last several seconds.

I haven't seen a pic of a Blockbusters theme tape, so no comment. But there could be other reasons why it didn't appear on a CD!

more likely it was a piece of library music
JR
jrothwell97
623058 posted:
Inspector Sands posted:
Quote:

more likely it was a piece of library music

As I understand it, the original version and the later revised version, used from ~1986/7 onwards, are not library. However, there were subsequent versions which were library: these are the versions used for when it decamped to Sky One for a short time in 1994 (?) which sounds like it was made on a Yamaha porta-synth, and the re-recording Ed Welch did for Liza Tarbuck's version in 2000 (again on Sky One). Two other versions exist: an orchestral version (sounds a bit American) and the ITV children's themes CD version, which sounds rather fabulous.

The problem is that the only copies of the original, clean theme and stings lie either in the Central building, or in someone's loft. Probably Ed Welch's.

FYI, there is a sort-of clean version of the opening theme on Private Parts. It's only in mono and doesn't have the ending 'bum' note, but it's sufficient.
A former member
KPM: That A version dates back to at least 1987! That is FACT!

It is believe that, is in fact the original and reworked for tv, 83 Central.
when it was changed to speed it up by 3 seconds in 87 it was from the same package. then the sky was done and again for sky, etc.
MG
MikeGNE
Inspector Sands posted:

Just because they were left behind in a derelict building doesn't make them useful or interesting....

Maybe not the case for every programme but the only clean copies of the Crossroads themes seem to survive thanks to someone taking them out of the building after Central left. These include the rare 'mood themes'.

And the 1985 clean versions were recovered only last month from the building. Whether Carlton over looked them or whatever.. who knows.
JR
jrothwell97
623058 posted:

when it was changed to speed it up by 3 seconds in 87 it was from the same package. then the sky was done and again for sky, etc.

The 1987 revamp of the original was more substantial than a speed-up. There was also an extra 'whoosh' added on the opening section, and there was some reverberation on the bassline. I believe it was also upgraded to stereo at this point, although I may be wrong.
A former member
jrothwell97 posted:
623058 posted:

The 1987 revamp of the original was more substantial than a speed-up. There was also an extra 'whoosh' added on the opening section, and there was some reverberation on the bassline. I believe it was also upgraded to stereo at this point, although I may be wrong.

its still the same package. that beside the point, KPM dates back to 80;s at least
PE
Pete Founding member
so is file 14260 on private parts the one that barcode alleges is fake?
A former member
Hymagumba posted:

we have been told that Nothing in the central was recorded like that,

all boxes had a label with central on it and not just written on like that

and also the box label was ripped off
PT
Put The Telly On
I personally like the Sky One theme best *jokes*. Some people have commented saying they like it... pwhhh.. just because it was composed again by Ed Welch.
JR
jrothwell97
623058 posted:
Hymagumba posted:

we have been told that Nothing in the central was recorded like that,

all boxes had a label with central on it and not just written on like that

and also the box label was ripped off

There's no reason why the original box couldn't have been damaged, and an old box couldn't have had its label ripped off and been recycled.
MG
MikeGNE
It would have still been on a Central sticker with more details than just 'Blockbusters'

Its a fake. It had nothing inside it anyway.

Newer posts