TV Home Forum

More from inside the Central studios

(March 2008)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
Chie posted:
Want me to break in and grab that Bullseye tape for you, 623058? Laughing

If you want, I don;t believe its real, or even possible to convert it, to something we could actully listen to
CO
Connews
Orry Verducci posted:
From what I have gathered on the site, it seems they break in to get the photos.

Definitely.

There is an Alton Towers report here. I am certain they would not have been welcomed in with open arms!

Fascinating all the same, though.

The Break-In
IS
Inspector Sands
Mark Boulton posted:
I notice the first batch of photos on that last page linked to shows the Sony LMS (Library Management System) control panel (the keyboard thing) and playout stack (the thing that looks like a giant choccy bar vending machine - the VTRs were in the 5 drawers to the left, and the pigeon hole banks to the right accomodated cassettes - either Beta SP or D2/D3). I notice a couple of tapes were still in the thing. Wonder what's on them - I think those and the jingle carts ought to be rescued by ITV Central, if only to hand them on to the NFTVA or the NMFPT in Bradford. I agree ITV Central no longer need them, but does that mean they should just get chucked away forever - especially when we now have the foresight to see these things are STILL (for a short time only) there to be kept.

I sorry, but why would a museum be interested in a random cart from a random TV programme? It might be a nice bit of memorbilia for a collector or enthusiast, but there were many thousands of the things in use in the broadcast industry - it's not of interest to a museum.

The only way such a cart would be is if it was used by Kenny Everett, Fluff Freeman or John Peel.

It's the same with the LMS, redundant broadcast plant like that is of no use to anyone. It's not notable enough to be in a museum (i.e. it's not a landmark device), it's of no practical use for production or for an educational establishment. Even a new TV station that wanted some second hand kit would baulk at it because the technology has moved on and they are obsolete
IS
Inspector Sands
623058 posted:
Chie posted:

If you want, I don;t believe its real, or even possible to convert it, to something we could actully listen to

Why wouldn't it be real?

It'd perfectly possible to dub it off onto something else if you had a cart player, but it's a heck of a faff for a single sound effect which you most likely could find elsewhere
JO
Joe
Inspector Sands posted:
623058 posted:
Chie posted:

Why wouldn't it be real?

It'd perfectly possible to dub it off onto something else if you had a cart player, but it's a heck of a faff for a single sound effect which you most likely could find elsewhere

He thinks everything's a conspiracy against him when he smells even a whiff of a cheesy TV gameshow.
:-(
A former member
A: ITV has gone back to clean out the place again,

B: how would you listern to it and even convert it?

c: elsewhere? like where, most of the bullseye stuff is missing.
anyway i'm not that bothered! I'm into BB
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member
Very interesting photos of various places on there - these people must be nuts taking photos from these places for our benefit - but keep it up!
IS
Inspector Sands
623058 posted:

B: how would you listern to it and even convert it?

c: elsewhere? like where, most of the bullseye stuff is missing.
anyway i'm not that bothered! I'm into BB

B - you get a cart player and shove it in the hole in the front, then press play!

C - well the effect most likely appeared on hundreds of episodes of Bullseye... which are still being shown on Challenge TV!

Alternatively have a browse through some sound effect discs!
MI
Mich Founding member
Connews posted:
Orry Verducci posted:
From what I have gathered on the site, it seems they break in to get the photos.

Definitely.

There is an Alton Towers report here. I am certain they would not have been welcomed in with open arms!

The Break-In

Definitely nothing.

Their ethos is totally against "breaking in" - they do not break and enter. They do enter sites without permission but with no criminal intent and cause no damage whilst they are there.. Their only 'crime' is trespass which is only a civil wrong.
MG
MikeGNE
623058 posted:
A: ITV has gone back to clean out the place again

But in the meantime stuff had been nicked. Laughing
JO
Johnny83
Mich posted:
Connews posted:
Orry Verducci posted:

Definitely.

The Break-In

Definitely nothing.

Their ethos is totally against "breaking in" - they do not break and enter. They do enter sites without permission but with no criminal intent and cause no damage whilst they are there.. Their only 'crime' is trespass which is only a civil wrong.

Exactly, there's some great pictures on thier website of the Swiss Airlines Builidng in Leicester Square that is in the process of being pulled down (Hope the clock mechanism thing survives, people always gathered around to watch it chime on the top of the hour) they climed the scaffold & took pictures from the top but didn't break into the premises
MB
Mark Boulton
Inspector Sands posted:
Mark Boulton posted:
I notice the first batch of photos on that last page linked to shows the Sony LMS (Library Management System) control panel (the keyboard thing) and playout stack (the thing that looks like a giant choccy bar vending machine - the VTRs were in the 5 drawers to the left, and the pigeon hole banks to the right accomodated cassettes - either Beta SP or D2/D3). I notice a couple of tapes were still in the thing. Wonder what's on them - I think those and the jingle carts ought to be rescued by ITV Central, if only to hand them on to the NFTVA or the NMFPT in Bradford. I agree ITV Central no longer need them, but does that mean they should just get chucked away forever - especially when we now have the foresight to see these things are STILL (for a short time only) there to be kept.

I sorry, but why would a museum be interested in a random cart from a random TV programme? It might be a nice bit of memorbilia for a collector or enthusiast, but there were many thousands of the things in use in the broadcast industry - it's not of interest to a museum.

The only way such a cart would be is if it was used by Kenny Everett, Fluff Freeman or John Peel.

It's the same with the LMS, redundant broadcast plant like that is of no use to anyone. It's not notable enough to be in a museum (i.e. it's not a landmark device), it's of no practical use for production or for an educational establishment. Even a new TV station that wanted some second hand kit would baulk at it because the technology has moved on and they are obsolete

Firstly -

Arrow I meant the tapes *in* the LMS, not the LMS. Although I was not thinking about the LMS, the LMS *was* a landmark device. I disagree totally on your analysis that it wasn't. It was a major stepping stone between separate VT decks and playout servers.

Arrow The original Blockbusters theme, as a clean recording (of which there was a 1/4" tape found in the debris), seems to be an item that ITV can't find anywhere else since their Kids TV Themes CD contains a re-recording rather than the original. No transmitted copy of Blockbusters contains the theme tune without applause plastered over the last several seconds.

Arrow If museums weren't interested in items that ordinary people aren't interested in or have no use for in their day-to-day lives, because they're historical and obsolete, there would be no such things as museums.

Newer posts