The Newsroom

Sky News enters the Second Life Virtual World

(January 2008)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JR
jrothwell97
SN2005 posted:
jrothwell97 posted:
What a stupid, sad idea. They seem to be forgetting that anyone who can use Second Life can probably also point their web browser at skynews.com. Or worse (in Rupert Murdoch's view), news.bbc.co.uk.

But it's a virtual mini tv. A virtual tv that's virtually mini.

But why though? I have a TV. I can also keep my ears tuned to my TV when I read information on my computer screen.
SN
SN2005
jrothwell97 posted:
But why though? I have a TV. I can also keep my ears tuned to my TV when I read information on my computer screen.

A multi-tasking beeboid - this is quite something, please, continue.

Mr Rothwell, you seem to have this impairment which means that you get caught up in silly things called practicalities - have you not considered that it just simply reflects well on the people at sky news when it comes to justifying their jobs?
JR
jrothwell97
SN2005 posted:
jrothwell97 posted:

A multi-tasking beeboid - this is quite something, please, continue.

Mr Rothwell, you seem to have this impairment which means that you get caught up in silly things called practicalities - have you not considered that it just simply reflects well on the people at sky news when it comes to justifying their jobs?

I shall agree to differ on this one, but I simply do not see the point in having a news bureau in Second Life. I myself have never used Second Life. Only a small minority of even the famous 14-35 target group who use the Internet regularly use Second Life. It's one of the most stupid gimmicks Sky has ever used.

True, I'm all for them 'engaging with modern online content platforms' (read in Charlie Brooker's Marketing/Advertising C*ck voice) but Second Life is, in my opinion, a complete waste of both reporters' and webmasters' time.

Newer posts