The Newsroom

News At Ten vs. Ten O'Clock News

Vote for your main late news program... (January 2008)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MD
Mr D'Arcy
I'll watch tonight out of interest but to be honest I can't see ITV's tacky tabloid journalistic style changing. I may be wrong... we will have to wait and see.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
There is a video of Julie in the newsroom on the ITV News website, talking about what's coming in tonight's programme.

The interview with Hasnat Khan (Diana's one time lover), Bill Neely live from Antarctica, and an interview with the England manager.

So, the BBC with the Madeleine suspects mother, and ITV with Diana.

The Daily Express setting the news agenda then.
ST
STV Today
I bet the BBC are praying both Trevor and Julie get stuck in the lift tonight as well Laughing Laughing
NO
Nooze
Brekkie Boy posted:
As much as I've slated it off lately I still find ITV's bulletins more watchable than the BBC's - though Trevor McDonald is putting me off. I'd be more inclined to make the effort to watch if it was a permanent Mark / Julie partnership.

Pretty much my view too. Also agree with Tom0... I just prefer ITN to the BBC.
SN
SN2005
Brekkie Boy posted:
As much as I've slated it off lately I still find ITV's bulletins more watchable than the BBC's - though Trevor McDonald is putting me off. I'd be more inclined to make the effort to watch if it was a permanent Mark / Julie partnership.

You've hit the nail on the head there.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Charlie Wells posted:
I see that the BBC are promoting their 10 o'clock news and what's in it at the end of the 6pm bulletin. Strikes me as a desperate attempt to keep viewers for tonight.

Indeed. Today, we've seen promos for the Ten O'Clock News on Breakfast, the One O'Clock News and the Six O'Clock News. Huw Edwards has also been on Radio 2 this afternoon and there have been several articles published today by high-profile BBC News staff, including Huw Edwards (whose piece was fairly scathing towards ITN). Usually the network bulletins trail News 24 before they finish but today's have all been for the Ten O'Clock News. As I said earlier, I think the BBC has had a panic, sparked by ITV's ad campaign for NAT and they've desperately tried to build up tonight's 10pm bulletin. It'll be really interesting to see tonight's ratings.
CO
Connews
itsrobert posted:
Charlie Wells posted:
I see that the BBC are promoting their 10 o'clock news and what's in it at the end of the 6pm bulletin. Strikes me as a desperate attempt to keep viewers for tonight.

Indeed. Today, we've seen promos for the Ten O'Clock News on Breakfast, the One O'Clock News and the Six O'Clock News. Huw Edwards has also been on Radio 2 this afternoon and there have been several articles published today by high-profile BBC News staff, including Huw Edwards (whose piece was fairly scathing towards ITN). Usually the network bulletins trail News 24 before they finish but today's have all been for the Ten O'Clock News. As I said earlier, I think the BBC has had a panic, sparked by ITV's ad campaign for NAT and they've desperately tried to build up tonight's 10pm bulletin. It'll be really interesting to see tonight's ratings.

Yes. Also, on the blogs, Peter Horrocks who is the head of BBC News chirped in with his view, he was very supportive towards ITN, even positive towards them throughout - but he really delivered a good blow at the end; where he said that Deborah Turness, the NAT Editor, brought "And Finally" back to 'give you a smile on your face or a tear in your eye. But BBC News, we are more concerned on making you think.'

I am ITN through and through, mainly Channel 4, but I always used to watch ITV, until in my opinion, I thought it got dumbed down. Let's hope NAT brings it back on the road to prominence.

Well - either until it got dumbed down, or they dropped the ITN branding.
ST
Stitch08
I'm going to continue with the BBC, though I believe that tonight they're going to be beaten in the ratings. You can't really blame them for advertising the Ten though, they can't just give in to ITV, who have been doing some high profile advertising as well.
DV
DVB Cornwall
ITV for a change, might hold BBC10 in PIP window for curiosity though.
BR
Brekkie
So nobody remained loyal to the BBC tonight then! Wink
MA
themagicmonkey
I did! Although mainly because my housemates are busy in the lounge and our ITV reception is cr*p. What you all forget is that ITV in effect lost the News At Ten brand to the BBC. Most people don't really care that News At Ten was always on ITV, they just have a memory of the name and News At Ten is now on the BBC. The ratings will be interesting but you're presuming the 5 million people who watch the 10 o'clock news each night are as interested in the new-look NaT on ITV as you all are.
ST
STV Today
themagicmonkey posted:
I did! Although mainly because my housemates are busy in the lounge and our ITV reception is cr*p. What you all forget is that ITV in effect lost the News At Ten brand to the BBC. Most people don't really care that News At Ten was always on ITV, they just have a memory of the name and News At Ten is now on the BBC. The ratings will be interesting but you're presuming the 5 million people who watch the 10 o'clock news each night are as interested in the new-look NaT on ITV as you all are.

What a really good point - you are spot on with that one!!

Newer posts