The Newsroom

BBC News 24: Presentation discussion

Graphics & set related (January 2008)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
Following on from comments/requests in the latter pages of the old thread this new thread has been set up.

This thread is a presentation related discussion, to be more specific this refers to the graphics & set. 'Day-to-day' presenter and rota related discussion should be kept for the separate thread located at http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27094.
MO
Moz
Can I suggest that the title of the thread is changed to something a bit more specific than 'presentation' - as people have argued that presenters are related to presentation.

Perhaps something along the lines of 'graphics and set'.
HO
House
Plus this problem persists past BBC News 24 - all the channels really need something (i.e. Sky News, BBC News, ITV News etc.)
EY
the eye
Speaking of ties, look what I caught Jonathan wearing this morning...

http://www.rp-network.com/tvforum/uploads/jonnytie.jpg

Oh wait, where am I supposed to post this? Im a tad confused...
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
I've split the "2 threads v single thread" related discussion into it's own topic...
http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27096
JO
Joe
Me, being a good member, moved my own post.
PE
Pete Founding member
the eye posted:
Speaking of ties, look what I caught Jonathan wearing this morning...

http://www.rp-network.com/tvforum/uploads/jonnytie.jpg

Oh wait, where am I supposed to post this? Im a tad confused...

here, I'd say that counts as pres. and not rotas which is the issue we're trying to shunt into a new thread.

anyhow, onto the main topic....

Could someone please explain the tweaks to news 24 since the original revamp? I'm aware of the altered ticker with it being red for breaking, and that is it.

Is News 24 using the local time bug all the time now? I noticed it yesterday or was that for a simulcast?
EY
the eye
Ticker height has been fluffed with and clock moved. Britain's Most Watched News Channel (or something like that) replaced News Channel of the Year .. um
PE
Pete Founding member
the eye posted:
Ticker height has been fluffed with. Britain's Most Watched News Channel (or something like that) replaced News Channel of the Year .. um

so they've actually managed to leave well alone for once? not very like them. usually by now they've ruined the revamp with bad tweaks that don't fit.
JR
jrothwell97
For the benefit of Hymagumba, several alterations have been made. *puts on Tumble Tower hat*

• As Damian has said, complaints made by cretins who can't be bothered to turn their TV into 4:3 letterbox mode (the same as the 'no background music' brigade, one assumes) means that the clock has now been moved to the right of the DOG, into the safe area. The ticker has also been ruined.
  • The Breaking News sting has been used on and off for the last year.
  • The 'flash' seen when the headline strap changes seems to now be reserved exclusively for the Breaking strap; the normal headlines now use a typewriter-style action.
  • If I remember correctly, the 'rumble' at the start of the titles has gradually reduced in length.
  • Yes, the local-time bug does appear to be in use all the time now.

I have PMed Charlie thanking him for this move; I believe now we can actually get on to discussing the pres instead of whether or not Ben Brown has had his teeth whitened.
JO
Joe
Quote:
Could someone please explain the tweaks to news 24 since the original revamp?

Don't forget the tweak which moved the clock into the safe area. Whilst I don't agree with the reasons (do people not have watches or clocks?), I have to say that now I'm used to it, I think it looks a lot better.

I hate the way they use the breaking ticker - fairly good idea, but badly used. Why run details that are already on screen in place of other news?
EY
the eye
jrothwell97 posted:

[*]The 'flash' seen when the headline strap changes seems to now be reserved exclusively for the Breaking strap; the normal headlines now use a typewriter-style action.

That only lasted a month or so, on BBC World at least.

Newer posts