The Newsroom

BBC News 24

(January 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Square Eyes posted:
itsrobert posted:

I've got to say that I'm getting really cheesed off with all this talk of presenters, shifts and rotas. It is incredibly boring. When this forum launched in 2001, it was about idents, graphics, music, sets and presenters. Now, it seems as though every thread is taken over by the same tedious discussion of presenters. There is more to being a TV pres fan than that, you know.

If this really is a problem, I'd suggest you are as guilty as anyone else. A quick look back through the archives will find you yourself discussing BBC World and News 24 rotas and Tim Willcox's "busy workload".

Is that the best you can do, Square Eyes? I last spoke of Tim Willcox in November. Since then, I've made 14 pages of posts. Hardly frequent! I haven't got a problem with presenter discussion - when it warrants it. I'm getting fed up of people constantly posting when one minor presenter swaps shifts.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
itsrobert posted:
Square Eyes posted:
itsrobert posted:

I've got to say that I'm getting really cheesed off with all this talk of presenters, shifts and rotas. It is incredibly boring. When this forum launched in 2001, it was about idents, graphics, music, sets and presenters. Now, it seems as though every thread is taken over by the same tedious discussion of presenters. There is more to being a TV pres fan than that, you know.

If this really is a problem, I'd suggest you are as guilty as anyone else. A quick look back through the archives will find you yourself discussing BBC World and News 24 rotas and Tim Willcox's "busy workload".

Is that the best you can do, Square Eyes? I last spoke of Tim Willcox in November. Since then, I've made 14 pages of posts. Hardly frequent! I haven't got a problem with presenter discussion - when it warrants it. I'm getting fed up of people constantly posting when one minor presenter swaps shifts.

Regardless of whether you've done it recently or not, you've been complicit in participating in the presenter / rota discussion previously.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but you can hardly blame the membership from therefore indulging in it. I don't suppose they had realised that you were the barometer for when it is and isn't warranted.

As for minor presenters and their shifts, Tim Wilcox anyone ? ;

itsrobert posted:

I'm sure he did a 6-hour stint on News 24 today, as well. I know he started at 11am with Martine Croxall and I'm sure he was still on later in the afternoon with Claire Marhsall. Now, before everyone jumps in here and states that 6 hours is nothing and many people work a lot more than that, I think it is fair to say that is quite an arduous shift, given that it is on a weekday when there are no breaks in the rolling news (except for the One O'Clock News, but they still have to be on standby). Six consecutive hours on air must be quite stressful. Does this man ever stop?!

itsrobert posted:
Forgot to mention yesterday - another mammoth stint for Tim Willcox. He did Saturday: 1300-1700 News 24, 1900-0100 BBC World, Sunday: BBC1 Lunch summary, 1300-1900 News 24. I think I'd get confused if I was doing that, especially with mixing N24 and World.

itsrobert posted:
He was definitely on News 24 this afternoon. So, today he must have done 0600-1200 BBC World, 1300-1700 BBC News 24, 1900-0100 BBC World. That's some shift!

itsrobert posted:
I can't believe this bloke! He's on News 24 now 0830-1100! There's no stopping him.
IT
Square Eyes posted:

itsrobert posted:

I'm sure he did a 6-hour stint on News 24 today, as well. I know he started at 11am with Martine Croxall and I'm sure he was still on later in the afternoon with Claire Marhsall. Now, before everyone jumps in here and states that 6 hours is nothing and many people work a lot more than that, I think it is fair to say that is quite an arduous shift, given that it is on a weekday when there are no breaks in the rolling news (except for the One O'Clock News, but they still have to be on standby). Six consecutive hours on air must be quite stressful. Does this man ever stop?!

itsrobert posted:
Forgot to mention yesterday - another mammoth stint for Tim Willcox. He did Saturday: 1300-1700 News 24, 1900-0100 BBC World, Sunday: BBC1 Lunch summary, 1300-1900 News 24. I think I'd get confused if I was doing that, especially with mixing N24 and World.

itsrobert posted:
He was definitely on News 24 this afternoon. So, today he must have done 0600-1200 BBC World, 1300-1700 BBC News 24, 1900-0100 BBC World. That's some shift!

itsrobert posted:
I can't believe this bloke! He's on News 24 now 0830-1100! There's no stopping him.

If you're going to cite those, can you at least date them? The earliest one is from August, followed by a comment in September and one in November. As I said, hardly frequent...

Anyway, I think we've all made our points clear. Let's get back to the topic in hand now.
HO
House
Square Eyes posted:
itsrobert posted:
Square Eyes posted:
itsrobert posted:

Regardless of whether you've done it recently or not, you've been complicit in participating in the presenter / rota discussion previously.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but you can hardly blame the membership from therefore indulging in it. I don't suppose they had realised that you were the barometer for when it is and isn't warranted.

itsrobert posted:

itsrobert posted:

itsrobert posted:

itsrobert posted:
Exactly!

The reason, for example, I posted about Ben Brown today was because...
A - I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something (like a new schedule) and
B - Because it's not usual for a presenter to move shifts - normally an absense is simply covered by a relief.
C - Because my point was also that Ben Brown was incredibly bad at the start of today's shift which put me off watching! As often pointed out, presenter chemistry is important especially when they're on for upto 4 hours!
NA
nat210790
imnogoth posted:
Square Eyes posted:
itsrobert posted:
Square Eyes posted:
itsrobert posted:

itsrobert posted:

itsrobert posted:

itsrobert posted:

itsrobert posted:
Exactly!

The reason, for example, I posted about Ben Brown today was because...
A - I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something (like a new schedule) and
B - Because it's not usual for a presenter to move shifts - normally an absense is simply covered by a relief.
C - Because my point was also that Ben Brown was incredibly bad at the start of today's shift which put me off watching! As often pointed out, presenter chemistry is important especially when they're on for upto 4 hours!

Yea, I do agree with you there actually. Why has Ben been on 2-5 all days this week, with Nick doing Ben's regular slot? Unless Ben has things on Monday - Thursday this week from 6pm onwards, it does seem weird that Nick hasn't been covering Jon (2-5) like he has done previously.
KA
Karl
I don't post here often but I read every day and you consistently come across as being very unprofessional, itsrobert. If people are chatting on a forum that you work on you should be pleased about that and encourage it, not moan at them that you're not interested in what they have to say.
TV
tvmercia Founding member
Karl posted:
I don't post here often but I read every day and you consistently come across as being very unprofessional, itsrobert.

itsrobert's inconsistent approach has been noted on many, many occasions over the past six years.
EO
eoin
Karl posted:
I don't post here often but I read every day and you consistently come across as being very unprofessional, itsrobert. If people are chatting on a forum that you work on you should be pleased about that and encourage it, not moan at them that you're not interested in what they have to say.

Have you actually read the content of the last few pages of this thread? You've managed to miss the point entirely.
NE
Newsroom
Oh dear - the knives are you!
IT
Karl posted:

I honestly can't believe I'm being victimised here. Many, many members have moaned about rota discussion over the years and just because I say something I get all the blame.

As pickle said, you completely missed my point. I want discussion, of course I do. I want interesting discussion on a broad range of presentational topics. I'm getting a bit fed up of reading every thread only to see fantasy rota discussion all the time. Is that so wrong? Just because I'm a moderator does that not allow me to comment on the forum? Speaking as one of the longest serving members here, it is a shame that TV Forum is losing quality and I honestly think it is because people are turned off by fantasy rotas. Can't we get back to discussing the interesting stuff?
DO
don1977
itsrobert posted:
Karl posted:

I honestly can't believe I'm being victimised here. Many, many members have moaned about rota discussion over the years and just because I say something I get all the blame.

As pickle said, you completely missed my point. I want discussion, of course I do. I want interesting discussion on a broad range of presentational topics. I'm getting a bit fed up of reading every thread only to see fantasy rota discussion all the time. Is that so wrong? Just because I'm a moderator does that not allow me to comment on the forum? Speaking as one of the longest serving members here, it is a shame that TV Forum is losing quality and I honestly think it is because people are turned off by fantasy rotas. Can't we get back to discussing the interesting stuff?

Don't worry about it pal. Some people take this far too seriously. Its a fricking forum FFS! Just carry on as normal. They'll eventually realise that they don't HAVE to read and agree with every post. "Walk on!" Wink
PE
Pete Founding member
Karl posted:

I take it you'd agree with a load of people spamming a Xbox forum with comments on the PS3? Because this is what this is like. This is not, and has never been, a board to discuss rotas of people, it is to discuss the visual and musical presentation of television.

This tedious rota discussion by a load of new members is driving away people who have been here since 2001 and that is not right. It should not be encouraged just because it involves people posting.

I've been tempted at times to set up a second installation of phpbb on the metropol server to give a home to these saddos who enjoy such things but i suspect they are of the opinion that their discussion must occur on this board whether or not they're infuriating the majority f the membership with it.

Can something actually be DONE for once about this. We've talked about this over and over again, there is a thread on metropol discussing annoying members on here and one of the main complaints is rota discussion. If it HAS to remain, which I'd prefer it not to, can it at least be relegated to a seperate thread away from those of us who want to discuss the original topic of this board.

It is spoiling the board for me and others, I honestly know NOTHING presentation wise that has occurred on News 24 since the revamp last year. I'm quite sure there have been numerous tweaks but I've missed them trudging my way though "omg tim willcox was on an hour earlier than usual, maybe they're trying him out for news at ten" its infuriating and pathetic and quite honestly damn rude to the rest of the membership to force them to read such crap.

And to those of you who complain that idents and astons are dull, WHY did you join a board that has been discussing such things for nearly seven years? It's easy and cheap to set up your own board. There are others such as digital spy which would probably put up with it in their battle for supremacy of the entire internets but no you decide to RUIN TVF with it. How nice. Maybe you should go and stamp on an old lady's flowers next, its the kind of attitude you're displaying here.

Newer posts