TV Home Forum

ITV4 entertainment updates

Plugging The X C*cktor To Ruin Your Film (December 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JR
jrothwell97
I saw this while watching The IPCRESS File last night - what a load of old carp! All it was was some cretin looking like a cross between James Dagwell and Brian Dowling saying how 'Rhydian Roberts told me earlier he thought Leon's record was pants'. It completely ruined the atmosphere of the film.

Surely ITV have better things to spend their money on than porting E! News to the UK.
LO
Londoner
These have been on ITV2 for some years.
TO
Tom0
ITV4 is just a crap channel, its not just the entertainment updates. They ought to merge it with Men & Motors if ITV still own that.
JR
jrothwell97
Tom0 posted:
ITV4 is just a crap channel, its not just the entertainment updates. They ought to merge it with Men & Motors if ITV still own that.

To be fair, they do show some decent shows, and the film was excellent, but I fail to see why this 'entertainment update' wasn't restricted to ITV2. It's worse than Channel 5, but only because it seemed to largely consist of plugging the bloody X F*cktor .
MA
Matt Founding member
jrothwell97 posted:
I saw this while watching The IPCRESS File last night - what a load of old carp! All it was was some cretin looking like a cross between James Dagwell and Brian Dowling saying how 'Rhydian Roberts told me earlier he thought Leon's record was pants'. It completely ruined the atmosphere of the film.

Surely ITV have better things to spend their money on than porting E! News to the UK.

That guy was recently featured in Broadcast magazine as an up and comer in the industry for his incredible creative journalism.

If those entertainment news updates are what people see as 'cutting edge' these days, we've got major problems...
FA
fanoftv
I don't see why they can't create a simple cross channel ITV News update service (if they can't do single channel ones), even if they're only used in the evening.

I admire 60 seconds for bringing me the news when I didn't even think to go looking for it, and I like that. I used to love channel 5/five for that very reason, until they've started to drop the number of them and put them at odd times and in the middle of films.

But I'd much rather see a run down of news headlines rather than entertainment news.
NW
nwtv2003
fanoftv posted:
I don't see why they can't create a simple cross channel ITV News update service (if they can't do single channel ones), even if they're only used in the evening.

I admire 60 seconds for bringing me the news when I didn't even think to go looking for it, and I like that. I used to love channel 5/five for that very reason, until they've started to drop the number of them and put them at odd times and in the middle of films.

But I'd much rather see a run down of news headlines rather than entertainment news.

Which was the plan when the ITV News Channel shut, to have mid Evening News Updates on ITV2 and ITV3, but the plan was shelved, or that it was probably created to shut up the critics.

I would welcome some form of News Headlines on ITV2-4, these are some of the most watched Channels on Digital TV, although they aren't PSB in anyform, it would probably help the ITV News brand.
BR
Brekkie
The pointless thing is ITV only seem to put these entertainment news updates on in the middle of movies - they're never used elsewhere in the schedules.

Now, with some of the movies on ITV2 the target audience might appreciate them - but it's unlikely that's the case with ITV3 and ITV4.

As said, most of us here would prefer a news summary, while surely if anything on ITV4, a sports round up would be most appropriate.

They are completely unnecessary in the middle of films though - if you must put them on before or after, but I'd rather see the £3.64 spent on these bulletins invested in the main service.
JR
jrothwell97
Brekkie Boy posted:
The pointless thing is ITV only seem to put these entertainment news updates on in the middle of movies - they're never used elsewhere in the schedules.

Now, with some of the movies on ITV2 the target audience might appreciate them - but it's unlikely that's the case with ITV3 and ITV4.

Exactly; the film was a 1960s spy thriller, not an adaptation of chick-lit or any of that lamentable boredom. Why on earth do ITV4 viewers have to cope with this? The most showbizzy thing I expect to see in The IPCRESS File is the Pearl & Dean ident, not any of this blunt-edged trash.
LO
Londoner
Saw tonight's entertainment update on ITV2 - Steve Hargrave seemed to imply that it was his last ever bulletin.

I did notice ITN was advertising for a new showbiz reporter to work for London Tonight and the ITV2/4 entertainment bulletins.

Newer posts