TV Home Forum

The X Factor

Sharon quits The X Factor (March 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PT
Put The Telly On
Talking of depressing sh!te... Madworld with Gary Jules getting the top spot in 2003 was the most depressing number 1 ever in my opinion. What was wrong with people.

Leon's already "tipped" for Xmas no1 so...the public will follow that statement and consequently Leon will be number 1 this Christmas.
MA
markstewart
BBCNicky@Yorks posted:
I also think it is rather unfair to predict Leon a "who's that" by next year... just look at Shayne or Leona.

Leona yes, but Shayne only seems to have suddenly appeared again during this series of The X - as if to say we have 2 winners on the scene? In any case, he's not a patch on Leona Smile
BR
Brekkie
James Hall posted:
I disliked the X Factor this year particularly because it kept stating that the winner would have a "guaranteed shot at the Christmas Number One".

... as in it would be release the week of the battle, not guaranteed the number one - though of course it is.

Anyway - I agree with you and people are getting sick of it. If they're going to ruin the fight for Christmas No. 1 every year, the profits from the single should at least go to charity.
:-(
A former member
Brekkie Boy posted:
They've also picked up now on the Westlife show thing with Simon Cowell saying they're could be an upset...

Let's not forget, Simon will know how the voting went in all the live shows and therefore probably knew who would win based on that.
MA
markstewart
Brekkie Boy posted:
James Hall posted:
I disliked the X Factor this year particularly because it kept stating that the winner would have a "guaranteed shot at the Christmas Number One".

... as in it would be release the week of the battle, not guaranteed the number one - though of course it is.

Anyway - I agree with you and people are getting sick of it. If they're going to ruin the fight for Christmas No. 1 every year, the profits from the single should at least go to charity.

Why? Of course it'd be very nice but TV is just as much as business as your Tesco's, Microsoft's, etc. Nobody's forcing people to go out and get The X Factor winner to Number 1 - they're silly (or maybe even stupid) enough to do it. Why do ITV / Talkback / Syco owe charities money just for running a business? SC does do a lot of stuff for charity himself...
SA
saturdaymorning
James Hall posted:

That just removes any special meaning of the Christmas Number One any more. The last vaguely Christmassy song was 2004, Band Aid 20. Since then it's almost always been dominated by either X Factor winners or depressing sh*te.

I agree. It's a mad world we live in and there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas.Oh well.
RU
russnet Founding member
nok32uk posted:
Talking of depressing sh!te... Madworld with Gary Jules getting the top spot in 2003 was the most depressing number 1 ever in my opinion. What was wrong with people.

Leon's already "tipped" for Xmas no1 so...the public will follow that statement and consequently Leon will be number 1 this Christmas.

How about Whitney back in 1992. I can't stand that song no more, let alone it being number 1 for 9 weeks.

However, what I find more sickening is that the winners videos have the judges in them too. Why? Sure, lets go on a journey but this years video seems to feature them more than ever.
BR
Brekkie
russnet posted:
However, what I find more sickening is that the winners videos have the judges in them too. Why? Sure, lets go on a journey but this years video seems to feature them more than ever.

Apperance fees probably - I bet they get a cut each time it's shown!
NG
noggin Founding member
Brekkie Boy posted:
russnet posted:

Apperance fees probably - I bet they get a cut each time it's shown!

Not for promo videos - they are fee-free for broadcast during the promotional window ISTR.

Probably cheaper to include them than shoot extra video footage - and it trades on the "Who the heck is he? Oh he won the X Factor..." recognition bit. Not everyone was a regular viewer of the show after all. A large lump of the older end of the population was watching Strictly after all...
PT
Put The Telly On
nok32uk posted:

X Factor and Cowell steals the Christmas number 1 again then.
DB
dbl
nok32uk posted:
nok32uk posted:

X Factor and Cowell steals the Christmas number 1 again then.

Typical Rolling Eyes

Newer posts