The Newsroom

BBC News and Current Affairs Logo

(June 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RE
Revitt
I seem to remember BBC News and Current Affairs had a logo very similar to the transmitter title logo which was used on the endboard of all news programmes on the BBC, the exceptions being the Nine O'Clock News and the Weekend bulletins. It was used during the early 90s up until the April 1993 relaunch. Does anyone else remember this and have a picture of this logo, as I'm struggling to find it on the internet?
IS
Inspector Sands
Revitt posted:
I seem to remember BBC News and Current Affairs had a logo very similar to the transmitter title logo which was used on the endboard of all news programmes on the BBC, the exceptions being the Nine O'Clock News and the Weekend bulletins. It was used during the early 90s up until the April 1993 relaunch. Does anyone else remember this and have a picture of this logo, as I'm struggling to find it on the internet?

Yes, IIRC, I think it was meant to be a dog (as in a 'newshound' type of thing) made up of the transmitter logo with 2 masts making up the ears
TV
The TV Room
You'll find it within the 'Nine O'Clock News' section on this page:

The TV Room Plus - BBC News
WW
WW Update
One webiste referred to it as BBC's Third Reich logo... and I can see why.
IS
Inspector Sands
WW Update posted:
One webiste referred to it as BBC's Third Reich logo... and I can see why.

That was one of the influences, it's freely admitted by Lambie Nairn

The one mentioned by the OP is this one though:
http://thetvroom.com/images-pool/b025/main-148.jpg
RE
Revitt
Yes, that's the one. I didn't think it was used on the nine.
PE
Pete Founding member
Just remembered how FAB the old one o clock titles were. Those were a proper set of titles, and a great theme too.
ST
STV Today
Hymagumba posted:
Just remembered how FAB the old one o clock titles were. Those were a proper set of titles, and a great theme too.

They sure were - I have to admit to being a fan of the flying fish fingers as well (my street cred will hopefully survive this admission!)
I think that each of the bulletins benefitted from being distinctive from each other. I hope we may see this again in the future! Fingers crossed!!!
NE
Noelfirl
Anne MacKenzie Fan posted:
They sure were - I have to admit to being a fan of the flying fish fingers as well (my street cred will hopefully survive this admission!)

The fish fingers were probably the best news titles the BBC ever had. So completely over the top in terms of the music and pitch perfect in terms of the amazing visuals, especially the studio-to-titles-to-studio fades and dramatic backdrop changes. Utterly flawless.
ST
Stuart
I can honestly say I think the "fish-fingers" 9 was the best ever title sequence BBC News used! I don't think we'll ever see anything so dramatic again.

As for that logo, I remember it, and thought it was just a transmitter....but the newshound description is quite good, if perhaps not what was intended.
MO
Moz
I remember that logo was used on BBC vehicles out round the world too.
JR
jrothwell97
I liked the fish-finger Nine titles too.

But am I the only one who actually liked the transmitter mast titles? I didn't think they were 'fascistic' at all, but looking at them closely, I can see where Lambie-Nairn got his influences. The music was excellent, though.

Newer posts