New Meridian, BBC South & South East Thread

EB
exquisite burden
Bring back Phil...at least he injected a bit of humour
NH
Nick Harvey Founding member West Country (East) Points West
exquisite burden posted:

Except to viewers who are hard of hearing, who could never lip-read anything he said because he was always leaning over so far that he was talking to the floor.
Nick Harvey
Carbuncle Corner - The Monstrous Lump on the World Wide Web
PT
Put The Telly On Meridian (South East) South East Today
He was too short for the seat I think. Laughing
youtube.com/putthetellyon1
TL
tv luvvy
Nick Harvey posted:
exquisite burden posted:

Except to viewers who are hard of hearing, who could never lip-read anything he said because he was always leaning over so far that he was talking to the floor.

Excellent Mr Harvey, I did titter when I read that! Appears the south-east edition of Meridian Tonight has an identity crisis, they can never decide on who should be doing it. Very obvious to many viewers in the region that the two current incumbents don't live or know much about the patch!!
PT
Axe the Axton.

8 days later

AS
Asa Admin Meridian (South East) South East Today
nok32uk posted:
Axe the Axton.

Who tonight preceeded to wish Sangeeta "a safe journey" next week while she's away in....Leeds. Rolling Eyes I've done that journey a few times myself and blimey, just about made it back to Kent each time.

And I've mentioned the awful timing at the end of the 6.30 programme before but tonight took the biscuit. Now I don't believe the presenters are that bad so clearly they've got someone who's rubbish at counting out. Not only were they padding for a fair few seconds (often hard to tell during the banter) but in the end just gave up. The camera had already done the zoom out shot so they just sat there, mute to us for an age before going to ITN.

Rubbish.
PT
Yeah, its just got diabolical. BBC South East Today started out as naff but it now seems the shoe is on the other foot.

The problem is, its not as if they don't have a good reporting team its just the news output and structure of the headlines are awful. For instance Sangeeta slowly moving to the plasma screen as if to do a statistical report and all it is about is the weather - on that note, they spent about half the programme on Tuesday talking about the bank holiday weather (which in comparison with the rest of the UK wasn't that bad down south) and brought Martyn Davies into the studio when there was absolutely no need.

This "Moan at Moody" is rubbish as well. The topics he is covering are pointlessly boring which is a shame as Jeff is one of the lighthearted reporters and used to be given great reports to do.

Phil and Charlotte were the last of the good bunch unfortunately.

Also has Iain McBride (Sports reporter) now left? Maybe its just me but I haven't seen him for a while.
RO
rob Founding member Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today
Anyone know what's happened to Andy Craig since he left Meridian Tonight. Haven't seen him onscreen for a while.
TV Live - The home of TV presentation.
TL
tv luvvy
nok32uk posted:
Yeah, its just got diabolical. BBC South East Today started out as naff but it now seems the shoe is on the other foot.

The problem is, its not as if they don't have a good reporting team its just the news output and structure of the headlines are awful. For instance Sangeeta slowly moving to the plasma screen as if to do a statistical report and all it is about is the weather - on that note, they spent about half the programme on Tuesday talking about the bank holiday weather (which in comparison with the rest of the UK wasn't that bad down south) and brought Martyn Davies into the studio when there was absolutely no need.

This "Moan at Moody" is rubbish as well. The topics he is covering are pointlessly boring which is a shame as Jeff is one of the lighthearted reporters and used to be given great reports to do.

Phil and Charlotte were the last of the good bunch unfortunately.

Also has Iain McBride (Sports reporter) now left? Maybe its just me but I haven't seen him for a while.

Iain is still around albeit only on a Monday & Friday. For God's sake can't they stick Glen & Helen in the main seat for the south-east edition of Meridian Tonight?
PT
It makes sense if you ask me. They've got to do something about this news programme - its abysmal. South East Today has a better news structure and they include late news reports.

Maybe its something to do with the newsroom being away from the studio but even still that was introduced when Phil and Charlotte were there. I dread to think what they have up their sleeve for summer. I shouldn't think Ian and Sangeeta will be out and about on an open top bus.

"Weather's been very hot today Martin?"
"Yes it has"
"Thank you Martin... more from him later.. now Jeff Moody with some advice on how to be protected in the sun."

Rolling Eyes
GU
guidance
nok32uk posted:
Maybe its something to do with the newsroom being away from the studio but even still that was introduced when Phil and Charlotte were there.

Yes, the newsroom being around 100 miles away from the studio doesn't help at all. But Thames Valley's newsroom is over 60 miles away from Whiteley, yet TVT seems to breeze along nicely compared to Meridian South East.

Makes you yearn for the days of Mike Debens! Very Happy
BA
Bail Moderator Meridian (South) South Today
I notice the South Today website has had a revamp, and "broadband" quality editions of South Today rather than 56k.

Newer posts