TV Home Forum

Classic Doctor Who

(May 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Johnny83
Ronnie Rowlands posted:
Well she was first played by Mary Tamm, but she refused to sign on for another series, so she regenerated and was played by Lalla Ward from then on.

Her final television appearance was in Warriors' Gate, where she leaves the Doctor with the robot dog K-9 to forge her own path in the parallel universe of E-space. She also appears briefly in the 20th Anniversary special The Five Doctors through the reuse of footage from the uncompleted story Shada and in the 1993 charity special Dimensions in Time.

Thanks for that info, seeing as you know alot of info you may be able to answer this one Very Happy :

Did Sylvester McCoy's Doctor ever have a different companion to Ace?
JO
Johnny83
Which classic Dalek story is better, Resurrection Of The Daleks or Rememberance of the Daleks?
:-(
A former member
Johnny83 posted:
[

the Red hair woman!
JO
Johnny83
623058 posted:
Johnny83 posted:
[

the Red hair woman!

Bonnie Langford?
RR
Ronnie Rowlands
Yes, Sylvester McCoy started off with Mel Bush, played by Bonnie Langford, (although she wasn't exclusive to McCoy, she was a companion of Colin Baker's Doctor in his last series. )

And I'm not sure which is better. Resurrection is considered very gritty and morbid, Rememberence is also quite strange. Go for resurrection first and see what you think.

The Dalek stories that are currently out on DVD are William Hartnell's "The Daleks" (which is only in the boxset, "The beggining," which has the first 3 Doctor Who stories ever.) Hartnell's "The Dalek invasion of Earth,"

None of Troughton's 2 or Pertwee's 3 are on DVD at the moment (Troughton's due to many of his episodes being lost)

Then there's Tom Baker's "Genesis of the Daleks" which saw the first appearance of Davros and regarded as one of the best stories ever. The disc also contains an in depth look into all Dalek stories.

Then there's Davison's "Resurrection of the Daleks," Colin Baker's "Revelation of the Daleks" and McCoy's "Rememberence."

Dalek Stories that have yet to be released/lost are William Hartnell's "The Chase" and "The Dalek Masterplan." Troughton's "Power of the Daleks" and "Evil of the Daleks," Pertwee's "Day of the Daleks" "Planet of the Daleks" and "Death to the Daleks" and Tom Baker's "Destiny of the Daleks."

Oh dear, I'm going on a bit, but I hope that's a good enough guide for you./
JO
Johnny83
Ronnie Rowlands posted:
Yes, Sylvester McCoy started off with Mel Bush, played by Bonnie Langford, (although she wasn't exclusive to McCoy, she was a companion of Colin Baker's Doctor in his last series. )

And I'm not sure which is better. Resurrection is considered very gritty and morbid, Rememberence is also quite strange. Go for resurrection first and see what you think.

The Dalek stories that are currently out on DVD are William Hartnell's "The Daleks" (which is only in the boxset, "The beggining," which has the first 3 Doctor Who stories ever.) Hartnell's "The Dalek invasion of Earth,"

None of Troughton's 2 or Pertwee's 3 are on DVD at the moment (Troughton's due to many of his episodes being lost)

Then there's Tom Baker's "Genesis of the Daleks" which saw the first appearance of Davros and regarded as one of the best stories ever. The disc also contains an in depth look into all Dalek stories.

Then there's Davison's "Resurrection of the Daleks," Colin Baker's "Revelation of the Daleks" and McCoy's "Rememberence."

Dalek Stories that have yet to be released/lost are William Hartnell's "The Chase" and "The Dalek Masterplan." Troughton's "Power of the Daleks" and "Evil of the Daleks," Pertwee's "Day of the Daleks" "Planet of the Daleks" and "Death to the Daleks" and Tom Baker's "Destiny of the Daleks."

Thanks for that info (yet again Very Happy ), shame alot of Troughton's are missing, I noticed from one of his DVD's that episodes 1 & 3 from a story (can't remember which) had gone missing & had to be animated with only 2 & 4 remaining. Am I right in thinking that Troughton's Doctor is a bit of an Excentric one?
RR
Ronnie Rowlands
Oh all of them were eccentric in different ways. Every Doctor contrasted dramatically from their predecessers. There are al sorts of places you can look up The Doctor's, including www.shannonsullivan.com/drwho << Great guide.
TV
TV Times
Ronnie Rowlands posted:

Kind of correct - unfortunately Patrick Troughton's opener 'Power of the Daleks' no longer exists in the archives - although a few surviving clips are available.

Only Episode 2 of Evil of the Daleks exists in the BBC Archive - however that surviving episode and ALL the Power of the Daleks clips have been released on DVD - 'Lost in Time'. Also on the disc you will find an off air recording of a BBC Trailer for part one of 'Power' which was only discovered a few years ago.

The good news is a set of off screen photographs exist for the Power of the Daleks and the complete audio of both stories is available. The BBC released a Disc a few years back of the Power of the Daleks photo stills together with the audio tracks - you can easily follow the six episodes - and it shows what a great story is missing from the archives - it shows the daleks at their best.

Other than that various fan based productions of the photos and audio were made - a few of these are available on You Tube - just do a search for Power of the Daleks!

Hope that helps..... enjoy!
TV
TV Times
Johnny83 posted:
Ronnie Rowlands posted:

Thanks for that info (yet again Very Happy ), shame alot of Troughton's are missing, I noticed from one of his DVD's that episodes 1 & 3 from a story (can't remember which) had gone missing & had to be animated with only 2 & 4 remaining. Am I right in thinking that Troughton's Doctor is a bit of an Excentric one?

The story is the Invasion and feature the Cybermen - very good the animation is too.

Apparently there was talk of another animated story being done - hot favs were the two Troughton Dalek stories - however these plans have been shelved for now. We can hope that maybe some day these great stories will be found once more.

As for Troughton he's described as a 'Cosmic Hobo' - eccentric - yeah kind of - clownish, impish! He had a very difficult job back in 1966 - the first regeneration - if this had failed the series would have ended - Troughton did a great job.
RR
Ronnie Rowlands
One might describe him as "Chaplinesque"
TV
TV Times
Ronnie Rowlands posted:
One might describe him as "Chaplinesque"

Indeed!

One thing I find very sad is that in most pictures you see of Troughton in the role and writings about him - he was remembered for very loud check trousers, a tall stove pipe hat and of course his recorder - however in the episodes that remain in the archive you see him with neither apart from one scene in the Abominable Snowmen where he is playing his recorder.

The hat disappeared during story 3 - The Underwater Menace - never to return - this story also saw his trousers change from very baggy and loud check to the better fitting smaller check which remained for the rest of the series. In fact these trousers got ripped during the filming of the War Games and if you watch these episodes his knee is on view for most scenes.

The recorder playing Troughton returned in colour in the Three Doctors.
:-(
A former member
Here the Episode Doctor Who: Dimensions in Time

also it SHOW scary that Jon petween said to Noel edoma he still on TV in 2010!

part1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgQk4s6Uwag
part2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n0Wj8R2oYI

Newer posts