The Newsroom

BBC One to Trial Evening News Summary

(May 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CA
calum141
No one got clips of the regional news ones?
TV
tvmercia Founding member
calum141 posted:
No one got clips of the regional news ones?

bottom of this page

http://www.tvforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15862&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=2220
MA
Mancunian
Oh, gawd, that's sooooooooooooooooo awful.

If they think the trial is successful and roll it out across the nation I'm going to have to stop watching BBC One.

If Natasha Newsreader Barbie Kaplinsky is on the Six I can just choose not to watch it. Likewise when she occasionally does the Ten I switch over.

If she's going to be popping up on our screens all night with the headlines I'm not going to be able to watch the channel at all.
DE
deejay
Did my eyes deceive me or did the Mailbox's opening graphic say " West Midlands" ? Strikes me that someone in London made the graphics for the trail without realising what Birmingham's region is actually called! I for one quite liked the idea, though I hadn't expected Birmingham to handback to Natasha for the and finally . If this becomes a permanent fixture in the BBC One schedule, then it will be interesting to see if that stays. Also, do all regions have a stand-up presentation position? I know that a lot have projectors as part of their set but not all are routinely used for weather / graphics sequences...
NS
NickyS Founding member
Mancunian posted:

If they think the trial is successful and roll it out across the nation I'm going to have to stop watching BBC One.

If Natasha Newsreader Barbie Kaplinsky is on the Six I can just choose not to watch it. Likewise when she occasionally does the Ten I switch over.

If she's going to be popping up on our screens all night with the headlines I'm not going to be able to watch the channel at all.

So are you saying if it wasn't Natasha it wouldn't be awful?
CA
calum141
NickyS posted:
Mancunian posted:

Yeah, in my opinion the above comment regarding NK is chilish and stupid. There is absolutely nothing wrong with her - SHE READS THE NEWS and TRIES HER BEST TO LOOK GOOD FOR IT. Just because a woman likes to look good when shes going out to 8 million people doesnt mean she's a bad presenter.
NB
NerdBoy
calum141 posted:

Yeah, in my opinion the above comment regarding NK is chilish and stupid. There is absolutely nothing wrong with her - SHE READS THE NEWS and TRIES HER BEST TO LOOK GOOD FOR IT. Just because a woman likes to look good when shes going out to 8 million people doesnt mean she's a bad presenter.

Haha. Nothing to do with the patronising tone, chummy introductions and perma-smile? She'd be out of her depth with Hello magazine.
CA
calum141
NerdBoy posted:
calum141 posted:

Haha. Nothing to do with the patronising tone, chummy introductions and perma-smile? She'd be out of her depth with Hello magazine.

She engages with the average viewer at 6 o' clock, not a television news guru.
LO
looknorth
is she just a news READER in one of the papers(se moira stuart dropped thread)it says she is not a trained reporter
BR
Brekkie
God, these are still awful - even Newsround is less patronising!
MA
Mancunian
calum141 posted:
NickyS posted:
Mancunian posted:

You're making out like my comments are based on misogynism, which, since I'm a woman, is far from the truth.

My comments are not based on the fact that "SHE READS THE NEWS and TRIES HER BEST TO LOOK GOOD FOR IT".

Btw, there was no need to SHOUT AT ME!!!

There are and have been lots of brilliant and notable women journalists (Janine di Giovani, Christina Lamb, Kate Adie, Anna Politkovskaya, Martha Gellhorn), Natasha Kaplinsky is not amongst them.

My comments are based on the fact that she's the personification of the increasing Newsreader Barbie-fication of news presenting, which is very prevalent in the US and increasingly here.

My comments are based on her appearance to the extent that she projects a perception whereby she appears to care more for her appearance than the content. She's all style over substance, presentation over content. That's more suited to light entertainment, not news programming. There are lots of women journalists who care about their appearance but not to the extent that it overrides their journalism; in Natasha Kaplinsky's case it does.

And the fact that she's so busy trying to promote herself as a celebrity and a 'personality' by participating in dancing shows and so on really goes to show where her priorities lie -- and it's not in news, it's in vacuous entertainment.

You thought that my comments related to her wanting to look good, they're not, except to the extent that she herself is all about style over substance and you argue that she isn't a bad presenter.

Are you kidding? Actually, she is a bad presenter. She over pronounces, like she's trying to teach news to the remedial class, she also over emphasises verging on shouting. She over-emotes. When she was on Breakfast with Dermot, she used to do this whole eyelash fluttering poor Diana imitation 'doe eyes' thing at him. She's unprofessional in that she doesn't regard the news as the star of the show, in her world, she's the star. She's a really poor presenter.

Her Newsreader Barbie approach to journalism makes it harder for women journalists to be taken seriously. She promotes the ideal of 'women as eye candy' on our screens.
MA
Mancunian
Brekkie Boy posted:
God, these are still awful - even Newsround is less patronising!
Exactly! Thank you Brekkie Boy.

Newer posts