TV Home Forum

UTV thread

Another new face (April 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
Yup, the days of regional corporate pride/arrogance are long gone, hard commercial reality is the order of the day. You may hate Emmerdale (I can't stand the ruddy thing myself), but it's there to stay at 7pm until viewers finally come to their senses.

In any case, it's one thing to replace the show with a regional soap (which the local contractor will have put a significant investment into), it's quite another to replace it with repeats of daytime gameshows. The advertisers would love that one I'm sure.

I'd personally like to see ITV bring back World In Action or This Week/TV Eye, and put that on instead of Emmerdale, but it ain't gonna happen.
CO
Colm
Emmerdale is the second most popular programme on UTV following Coronation Street so it's most likely it will not be moved in the schedule.

They have tried to shift the 5.30-6.00 part of UTV Live before; when 24 Hour Quiz launched in 2004, UTV shifted the features part of UTV Live to a half hour slot of 1.00pm and the main news bulletin ran for half an hour at 6.00pm. However, after viewers complained that they shifted it, UTV Live moved back to an hour long slot starting at 5.30. Seems that UTV learned their lesson and aren't willing to reduce or split the hour-long UTV Live. Besides, what would Frank Mitchell do without his daily half hour smug-a-thon?

As for the absence of Julian - perhaps he was on holiday this weekend, hence no in-vision (unless Robin Taylor stood in for him and decided to do a few IVC links?)
TI
This Is Granada
Col posted:

They have tried to shift the 5.30-6.00 part of UTV Live before; when 24 Hour Quiz launched in 2004, UTV shifted the features part of UTV Live to a half hour slot of 1.00pm and the main news bulletin ran for half an hour at 6.00pm. However, after viewers complained that they shifted it, UTV Live moved back to an hour long slot starting at 5.30. Seems that UTV learned their lesson and aren't willing to reduce or split the hour-long UTV Live.

I remember this in 2004!!! I think it only lasted for 2 days, if that, before UTV Live returned to 5:30.

UTV have stated on many occasions that ‘UTV live at 5:30’ constantly performs better than the Network ITV programme in that slot!
A former member
better than Paul O grady? and SHaron osbourne
NW
nwtv2003
623058 posted:

Apparently Paul O'Grady was never shown on UTV, if it was it was only ever shown overnight which I believe they used to do. They did accomodate room for Sharon Osbourne, but it was shown at 4.30pm so they could fit both in.
CO
Colm
nwtv2003 posted:
623058 posted:

Apparently Paul O'Grady was never shown on UTV, if it was it was only ever shown overnight which I believe they used to do. They did accomodate room for Sharon Osbourne, but it was shown at 4.30pm so they could fit both in.

I think the first series of Paul O'Grady was shown on UTV the afternoon after its network transmission with the usual disclaimers about the phone lines now closed. The only time it appeared in a teatime slot was on Bank Holiday Mondays when UTV couldn't be arsed doing an hour of news.
SC
SCBNI
Following on from their "UTV Spring Breaks" competition, UTV have now launched "UTV Spring Shopping Spree"!

http://www.utvtoday.co.uk/images/spring_shopping1.jpg

http://www.utvtoday.co.uk/images/spring_shopping2.jpg

http://www.utvtoday.co.uk/images/spring_shopping3.jpg
AN
Andrew Founding member
Col posted:
nwtv2003 posted:
623058 posted:

I think the first series of Paul O'Grady was shown on UTV the afternoon after its network transmission with the usual disclaimers about the phone lines now closed. The only time it appeared in a teatime slot was on Bank Holiday Mondays when UTV couldn't be arsed doing an hour of news.

Yes I remember that, and when Paul started on Channel 4 he said that a bonus of the move was that people in NI could now watch
CO
Colm
UTV try to make that competition look sophisticated - and then you realise it's for a Big Shopping Centre in Ballymena, hay Wink

Graham looks older than Siobhan in that picture - ironically Graham is around 13 years Siobhan's junior.
SC
SCBNI
Was just having a look at the Radio Times website and noticed that there's another episode of this new programme UTV Focus scheduled for 10pm on Wednesday 2nd May. Here's the description:

Quote:
UTV Focus
Wednesday 02 May
10:00pm - 10:30pm
Ulster

Love, Devotion, Surrender

Documentary about Dolores Digney, a mother who focuses all of her energy into caring for her son Cormac. She rarely leaves the house and has little time to herself, but is there hope ahead?

Now after reading that I thought, hmm, that sounds familiar. So I went and had a look on the UTV website and found this. It seems UTV are simply taking an old episode of A Day in the Life from the last series and repackaging it as an episode of UTV Focus! What is the point in that?!

EDIT: I've just noticed that there's another episode scheduled for this Wednesday as well, and it too is from the last series of A Day in the Life. The best part has to be that they're replacing the network programme Get A Grip with a repeat.
A former member
Obviously UTV feel that Get A Grip is no good for their area and have hastily put together a replacement programme by cobbling together bits out of old productions. Hardly a new trick.
G4
G4
Whatever happened to these?
http://thetvroom.com/old/images-utv/images-2002/ident-still.jpg
http://thetvroom.com/old/images-utv/images-2003/ident-1b.jpg
The first ident would be perfect for announcing programme changes, like the aforementioned UTV Focus broadcast. The second would be a great sombre ident. These were both used before, but where have they disappeared to?

(Images courtesy of that wonderful website, The TV Room)

Newer posts