Media Websites

TV F6rum

(March 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Johnny83
I think I joined near the beginning although not entirely sure now, I know that the balloons were still been used at the time & were just about to be replaced, I think

Edit, I was Johnny first time round, on the old lounge website but I think when I tried to resign back up either I lost my password back then or someone else took the name when I tried to resign back up after the crash Confused Laughing
CN
CN
That web archive is a fantastic resource, seems I joined on 7th December 2001 - I remember hovering around TV Home for some time before then, and it was the weekend of the BBC Two revamp back in Nov 2001 that got me reading the forum. I don't get the chance (or make the time I guess) to post too much thesedays but still read it every day. In fact, it was the medium by which I got to know my best mate, and now housemate so I guess we owe a lot to this forum!

And talking of old members, we were talking today and wondering where James Proutt and a few others of that era vanished to?

Anyway, happy birthday TVF, long may it reign!!

Chris.
PE
Pete Founding member
Ant posted:
This archive page is quite interesting. A few of the threads are available to read (including one about spelling by our very own Nick Harvey).

http://web.archive.org/web/20011213222529/www.tvforum.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi

Although it only seems to be a few Lounge threads I'm having luck with.

DAS posted:
Just a question Ryan, but how do you know your spelling is 98% accurate, and was it necessary in your post?

nice to see some of us don't change...
PT
Put The Telly On
itsrobert posted:
Matt posted:
Whataday posted:
I feel so old... I remember the UKTV site which then became UK Television, and then TV Home... so i recall...
Six years! Blimey. Well done Asa - there aren't many sites that have stuck around that long!

You are quite right. When I first looked up TV presentation on the internet in 2000 (I've always been fascinated by idents, logos and news titles ever since I was a young lad, though) there were loads of websites - TV Ark, The TV Room, Round The Regions, TV Home, Jim Edwards' TV World, TV Whirl, InformativosTV, to name but a few - which were all updated regularly. Several of those websites have now well and truly died and others are still there but are no longer updated. It really is quite sad. I'm just glad that YouTube exists now, although I miss the expert commentary to go along with clips and images.

Yeah, 'Television Ark' - in its comic-sans day was the best site around. I also remember having to wait hours just to download RealPlayer on a 28kbps dialup connection! When I first browsed for TV Presentation (or mainly TV Themes in those days), Andrew Wiseman's 625: Television Room and java-tv alongside TV Ark were also top sites.
FA
fanoftv
Well Happy Birthday TV Forum, doesn't time fly, or should it be 'my, how we've changed!' Or maybe even that the wrinkles are appearing.

I'm unsure of when I joined, I don't think it was 2001, so at some point in 2002, but it I know I was here before the big melt down, as I remember not knowing what else to go onto when the site was down. Ah, happy days.

Once again, happy birthday, may it continue for years to come!
BE
Ben Founding member
Taking a look back in time, was the forum better in the old days, when there were fewer topics on the page, fewer trolls and Inspector Sands was still called Larry Scutta.

I can remember saying I think on the forums 2nd or 3rd birthday that TV Forum was usually my first destination on the internet, I have to admit it still usually is. How sad. Razz

P.S. Happy Birthday Whataday.
TE
tesandco Founding member
nok32uk posted:
itsrobert posted:

You are quite right. When I first looked up TV presentation on the internet in 2000 (I've always been fascinated by idents, logos and news titles ever since I was a young lad, though) there were loads of websites - TV Ark, The TV Room, Round The Regions, TV Home, Jim Edwards' TV World, TV Whirl, InformativosTV, to name but a few - which were all updated regularly. Several of those websites have now well and truly died and others are still there but are no longer updated. It really is quite sad. I'm just glad that YouTube exists now, although I miss the expert commentary to go along with clips and images.

Yeah, 'Television Ark' - in its comic-sans day was the best site around. I also remember having to wait hours just to download RealPlayer on a 28kbps dialup connection! When I first browsed for TV Presentation (or mainly TV Themes in those days), Andrew Wiseman's 625: Television Room and java-tv alongside TV Ark were also top sites.

Amazing the difference in sizes just of the files back then. 30 seconds in 2001 would have probably been a 400-500kb RM file, of not fantastic quality (best we could do with the combination of processors and video compression of the time), and a lot of us used to worry that maybe even a file that size would be too big for users to download. Nowadays, Youtube will download about 1.5mb for the same 30 seconds, still in poor quality. Gotta love progress! Laughing
JO
Jonny
Happy birthday TVF!

I feel like a complete newbie when I look at all of you who have been on here since 2001, that is some achievement!

As others have said when you see how many tv pres related websites have been and gone in the last few years its excellent how this site remains online and long may it continue.

So I'd like to thank everyone really for making this such a brilliant site. 6 years and counting...
BA
baoren
Happy Birthday! Very Happy
RO
rob Founding member
Ben posted:
Taking a look back in time, was the forum better in the old days, when there were fewer topics on the page, fewer trolls and Inspector Sands was still called Larry Scutta.

I can remember saying I think on the forums 2nd or 3rd birthday that TV Forum was usually my first destination on the internet, I have to admit it still usually is. How sad. Razz

It's still the first place I go as well. I can't find my user details, I was savagegardenkid in the early days. Would be nice to find my original details though...
DJ
DJ Dave
I have been here along time as we all had to sign up again at one time, that was 04 Jan 2003.

great place though, here is to the next 6 years!
KA
Katnap
rob posted:
Ben posted:

It's still the first place I go as well. I can't find my user details, I was savagegardenkid in the early days. Would be nice to find my original details though...

et voila...

All these name changes...as I said on Metropol, perhaps we're not so lost with the 'old skool' as some think.

Newer posts