TV Home Forum

Premium rate phone-in saga: ITV Play Channel Axed

ITV & Five suspend all premium rate competitions (March 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AJ
AJ
Just seen on Sky News that ITV are to suspend all premium rate competitions from tomorrow pending an independent inquiry.

I wonder what this means for ITV play - without premium rate competitions, there's no channel!
BR
Brekkie
Never thought of that. Also, will it affect GMTV?

This Morning is the most obvious problem during the week, though I think nowadays virtually all ITV daytime programmes have the phone ins, including regional news.

I was going to say about Dancing on Ice as well, but it seems to be "premium rate competitions" rather than all lines, so it might be unaffected.
LL
Larry the Loafer
AJ posted:
I wonder what this means for ITV play - without premium rate competitions, there's no channel!

Good!
AJ
AJ
Full statement from ITV:
http://www.itvplc.com/itv/news/regulatory/rnsitem?id=1173112957nRNSE3579S

Quote:
As a responsible broadcaster, ITV's commitment is to put viewers' interests first.

In light of recent concern surrounding premium interactive services in television programmes across all channels, ITV is today announcing that it has appointed Deloitte as independent auditors to conduct a complete review of all premium rate interactive services in ITV programmes. This will cover all premium rate landline, mobile (excluding pay downloads) and red button activity.

The review is in two parts. First, to ensure that all existing procedures are robust and second, a retrospective review of premium interactive services in all relevant ITV programmes of the last two years. ITV intends to make the findings of the review public.

We are therefore temporarily suspending all premium interactive services across all ITV channels from Tuesday March 6th. Interactive elements will return, programme by programme, as soon as they have passed the scrutiny of the independent audit. This will cover ITV productions, co-productions and independent productions. We will be writing to PACT and will be working closely with them and their members on this review. We are also in conversation with GMTV.

John Cresswell, Chief Operating Officer of ITV plc, said:

"This is a concern across the whole industry but ITV viewers can be confident that we will always act responsibly and take firm action to address issues that may arise.

"Millions of people enjoy interacting with ITV - either by voting in our entertainment shows or by taking part in prize competitions. It is critical that our viewers have absolute confidence in the services that we offer.

"We believe that all programmes currently on air are compliant. However, in light of recent concern around this issue, something affecting every major broadcaster, we are conducting this independent review to ensure that ITV is meeting all relevant codes and regulations.

"We've asked the auditors to report back to us with some urgency. The interactive elements in each programme will be re-introduced as they are independently signed off. We expect the review of current programmes to be both swift and thorough. The retrospective review will take longer due to the greater number of programmes involved."

EDIT: removed odd line breaks from quote.
JR
jrothwell97
We might finally be able to see C4Fan's fantastic mock on air...

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1243/untitled2nn.png

Would whoever called for suspended them please PM me, I'd like to write you a cheque Laughing
BR
Brekkie
I guess that's why they're starting tomorrow to sort something out for ITV Play.

Nothing else on ITV tonight that would be using premium phone-lines, other than the local news perhaps.
SN
The SNT Three
ITV Play's closing (even if temporarily)? Debbie King starts tonight!

Oh yay.
TV
tvarksouthwest
While ITV undertakes its review of premium rate services, can II suggest they consider one thing: that during regional text-in quizzes, the receipt of marketing texts by the participant is treated as an automatic OPT-OUT unless the texter specifically states otherwise?

I have noted the increasing number of "text NO INFO if you don't want to receive our marketing texts" during competitions on Westcountry Live, this is one road the old independent Westcountry wouldn't have gone down.
BU
buster
Glitterball has already been dropped tomorrow night...

Hours of Nightscreen ahoy! (and a film) Laughing
JR
jrothwell97
tvarksouthwest posted:
...this is one road the old independent Westcountry wouldn't have gone down.

Do I detect a message here? It's like:

"BRING BACK THE WESTCOUNTRY BIG W!"

Or could it be

"I WANT THE CARLTON STARS BACK!!!"

Any old excuse. But ITV has gone downhill ever since the regions disappeared.
AN
Andrew Founding member
tvarksouthwest posted:
While ITV undertakes its review of premium rate services, can II suggest they consider one thing: that during regional text-in quizzes, the receipt of marketing texts by the participant is treated as an automatic OPT-OUT unless the texter specifically states otherwise?

I have noted the increasing number of "text NO INFO if you don't want to receive our marketing texts" during competitions on Westcountry Live, this is one road the old independent Westcountry wouldn't have gone down.

You don't know that.

You may blame ITV PLC, but both SMG and UTV are fond of phone-in quizzes as well, so there's no saying the Westcountry wouldn't be were they still around
TV
tvarksouthwest
But it does appear to be a recent phenomenon.

Newer posts