TV Home Forum

Dancing on Ice vs Strictly Come Dancing

(January 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
OV
Orry Verducci
I don't think a live band makes a difference really. In terms of DOI, I would rather they use a backing track as there are many occasions when the band just can't do justice to the song (as we saw with Soapstar Superstar), whereas when the song is just played off CD we are hearing the original that we all know and love. Ballroom Dancing music is tranditionally performed by live bands which are used to it's style, whereas with everyday music used for Ice Skating, there are many songs in different styles which you can 'do or can't do'.

One of the most interesting elements in DOI is the fact that we see them learn to Ice Skate, which I think we can all agree is much harder than dancing. As the weeks go on, we see them learn new and more complicated moves, and by the final we see people flying in mid air among other things. It's such moves we don't see on SCD. Also, as we saw last night, the possibility of something going wrong is much greater on DOI, which adds to the entertainment, unlike SCD which gets repetitive.
BB
BBriscoe
James Hall posted:
SCD works well because it has a LIVE band with live singers. That's what attracts me, as a musical theatre actor, singer and dancer, to the show - the fact that there is a good, live orchestra. Skating to backing tracks is boring.

As for "everything that can be done with SCD has been" - surely the DOI thing is even worse? We saw all the daring lifts last year, I'd be hard pushed to see the same this year.

Or maybe it's because ITV's just television for white trash. Maybe.

In fact I think the orchestra on SCD is awful! You have 3 or 4 quite decent backing singers trying to sing tracks by Anastasia, Robbie Williams, Frank Sinatra etc., and quite understandably don't sound half as good as the original! I'd much rather listen to the hugely better original artist singing their own track rather than somebody trying to sound 'like' them.
BR
Brekkie
One thing I don't like about both these shows - and others with a combined public/judges vote, is it's never really made clear how the votes are combined.

There are so many ways they could combine it - and I've never seen a clear outline on how it is done - and each time I watch them it it appears different.

The latest understanding I have on SCD at least is that the scores are determined by a leader table, with 10pts (or whatever) for the top scorer in the judges vote - and then 10pts for the person with the most votes, with a sliding scale then.

Not overly clear on the Dancing on Ice - I don't think they award points, my impression is they take the judges scores and agregate them to out of 50, rather than 30, and then the percentage of public votes is halfed to form the other 50% of the vote.
MA
mansoor
BBriscoe posted:
James Hall posted:
SCD works well because it has a LIVE band with live singers. That's what attracts me, as a musical theatre actor, singer and dancer, to the show - the fact that there is a good, live orchestra. Skating to backing tracks is boring.

As for "everything that can be done with SCD has been" - surely the DOI thing is even worse? We saw all the daring lifts last year, I'd be hard pushed to see the same this year.

Or maybe it's because ITV's just television for white trash. Maybe.

In fact I think the orchestra on SCD is awful! You have 3 or 4 quite decent backing singers trying to sing tracks by Anastasia, Robbie Williams, Frank Sinatra etc., and quite understandably don't sound half as good as the original! I'd much rather listen to the hugely better original artist singing their own track rather than somebody trying to sound 'like' them.

I have to disagree, I think the orchestra is great and gives the show a live feeling you dont get on DOI.
OV
Orry Verducci
Brekkie Boy posted:
Not overly clear on the Dancing on Ice - I don't think they award points, my impression is they take the judges scores and agregate them to out of 50, rather than 30, and then the percentage of public votes is halfed to form the other 50% of the vote.

I didn't even think the judges vote affected the outcome in anyway, I thought the vote was to just give them an idea of how they're doing, with whoever's voted out being down to the public.

EDIT: Just checked Wikipedia, the judges form 50% of the final outcome.
BR
Brekkie
Orry Verducci posted:
Brekkie Boy posted:

I didn't even think the judges vote affected the outcome in anyway, I thought the vote was to just give them an idea of how they're doing, with whoever's voted out being down to the public.

That can be interpreted in so many ways though.

They could simply take the judges score and add on the percentage of votes, or convert the judges score into a percentage and then add on the percentage of votes.

They could also add all the judges scores for all the contestants, and then convert it into a percentage based on a percentage of the total marks awards, so the scores for all contestants add up to 100%. Then they'd add on the viewers marks.

Strictly Come Dancing - and similar BBC shows - seem to have this system where they get points based on where they are in the leader table - and again that could be added to the viewers results in numerous ways.

It appears they also convert the viewers vote into points - 1 for least, then rising accordingly, and then if tied, the viewers votes determine it.

This is what the SCD website says - not 100% clear at all:
Quote:
On the night Strictly Come Dancing's four judges will give a score for each performance from 1-10, with ten being the highest possible mark. The four judges' scores will be added together and placed on a leader board.

You, the viewer, will also get a chance to vote by phone. When the phone lines are closed the judges' scores and the viewers' scores are converted into a ranking with points awarded accordingly.

The couple with the lowest combined score are eliminated from the competition. In the event of a tie, the couple with the lowest actual number of viewer votes will be eliminated.

The T&Cs on the Dancing on Ice website aren't clear at all!
LI
lilhelen
Where is dancing on ice filmed by the way is it at an ice rink or was one constructed in a studio?
BR
Brekkie
Elstree I think.
FR
Freeview
Yes, Dancing on Ice is way better than Strictly come Dancing! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy !
FR
Freeview
Brekkie Boy posted:
Elstree I think.
I thought it would have come from the London Studios on the Southbank.
JE
Jez Founding member
lilhelen posted:
Where is dancing on ice filmed by the way is it at an ice rink or was one constructed in a studio?

They had one in the studio.
JE
Jez Founding member
Orry Verducci posted:
Brekkie Boy posted:

I think its better that way as both the judges (the experts!) and the viewers decide. Although like the X Factor it is the judges who have the final say about who goes from the final 2.

Newer posts