The Newsroom

Local Breaking News

Does it happen? (December 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NW
nwtv2003
I've never known Granada or BBC North West to break into programmes, although I remember on a couple of occassions when Granada would flash up a slide with 'Weather Report' on it, which always meant something bad.
MA
Matrix
I know, for instance, local radio break into programming. Radio Shropshire have done it a few times recently for weather and traffic 'urgent' updates.

As for Midlands Today, well, I suppose the nearest thing that came close to a breaking news service for BBC Shropshire TV. It was quite handy for updating stories but, to be honest, I don't think I can remember MT ever breaking into programmes, as such. What's more common is for 'breaking news' to be delivered during MT or for regional reporters to end up on News 24, as was the case with the collapse of MG Rover.

I always think there's a lack of urgency in regional reporting, rightly or wrongly. It often leads to a more concise and analysed perspective. But, as one poster has already said, this tends to lead to 'Specials' and extended editions rather than a leap into the schedules.
:-(
A former member
I haven't seen any regional TV breaks in the last decade. In 1991 Tyne Tees did have a 2-minute news report at around 12.30am telling the region about the Meadow Well riots on Tyneside, and there were about half a dozen other times that I recall (over a ten or so year period) where the continuity announcer would voice a newsflash over a "News" slide rather than running a promo, telling us all to tune into the local news later for full details (this is a newsbreak in its most basic form I guess). TTTV have on a number of occasions cancelled network programming at short notice including Coronation Street to cover football teams running through their cities when they've some cup or other, but this probably doesn't count.

I do not recall BBC NE ever doing this, nor do I have any recollection of this happening post-1993.
TV
tvmercia Founding member
Matrix posted:
As for Midlands Today, well, I suppose the nearest thing that came close to a breaking news service for BBC Shropshire TV.

as good as the service was - it couldnt really be classed as up-to-the-minute, iirc it was updated once or twice a day
IM
its me
BBC NWT broke into their final report at around 6.50 once to run with some breaking news of a train crash but didnt bother hanging around and handed back to the Six update at 6.55 and Gordon Bunrs pointed us towards News 24.

News 24 had NWT's local correspondent on air live from the scene by this time, so seemed the logical thing to do.
RS
Reg Shaw
mark posted:
The only time I remember it happening was donkeys' years ago, when Central South flashed the news that Swindon Town had been relegated from the 1st to the 3rd division after an investigation into some kind of dodgy dealings. Bit random, but it's the only one that springs to mind.

Dodgy dealings: Off-contract payments to players and under-reporting gates to avoid paying more tax. The chairman was eventually jailed for the whole affair, Swindon ended up in Division Two and were eventually promoted into the Premiership a few years later. It was good back then, not so much now. Two down at Mansfield in the bottom rung of the league. At least Oxford are lower.
CA
cat
I am fairly sure that Granada did a newsflash on the Manchester bombing in 1996, before ITN put anything together.

Granada got the IRA coded message and alerted the police, then went and did a newsflash announcing that the police were evacuating the city centre.

Still find it absolutely amazing, though, that given they had about an hour's warning of the bomb going off they didn't manage to have any cameras out on the streets at the time. Pretty shoddy, really.
MA
Markymark
cat posted:
I am fairly sure that Granada did a newsflash on the Manchester bombing in 1996, before ITN put anything together.

Granada got the IRA coded message and alerted the police, then went and did a newsflash announcing that the police were evacuating the city centre.

Still find it absolutely amazing, though, that given they had about an hour's warning of the bomb going off they didn't manage to have any cameras out on the streets at the time. Pretty shoddy, really.

And oddly it's only been recently (the last year or so) that CCTV images of the explosion have been made public.
TE
TELEVISION
Markymark posted:
GMc posted:
I think stv (Scottish TV) have interupted programming to break the news about the Tayside landslides in 2004, with Shereen Nanjiani fronting the coverage, and I think Shereen actually announced it to the whole ITV Network. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'm told that on the night of the Lockerbie crash, Border TV initially ran appeals for blood donors to report in, these of course were in addition to the ITN flashes.

They also ran a strap calling all NHS staff to report to Dumfries Infirmary. I suppose Border News would have been broadcasting live continuously too.

Newer posts