TV Home Forum

BBC One Midlands Clock

(November 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
BBC five posted:
Who cares about the clock being a few seconds out. The programmes are a few seconds behind aswell. so is the clock on news 24.

Maybe it you clooks!
GM
nodnirG kraM
404 English not found.
MA
marksi
Orry Verducci posted:
Not on my box it ain't. The decoding of it on all the Sky Digiboxes I've used take a few seconds. 5 or 6 seconds is the average. Also I'm not saying TV networks would do that, I'm just saying it's a way of syncing them if they really wanted to.

I can see analogue, freeview and satellite on monitors in a row, with the output of the mixer in front of me. The satellite delay is less than two seconds. That's using domestic receivers.
OV
Orry Verducci
marksi posted:
I can see analogue, freeview and satellite on monitors in a row, with the output of the mixer in front of me. The satellite delay is less than two seconds. That's using domestic receivers.

Must just be the boxes I've used then (none of which are the latest models and such, which could explain it).
MA
marksi
Orry Verducci posted:
marksi posted:

Must just be the boxes I've used then (none of which are the latest models and such, which could explain it).

No; until recently we had original 1998 Grundig Sky boxes. Approx 2 second delay from it leaving the mixer until displayed on the satellite monitor in front of me.

Do you live in a very deep valley? Wink

ITV's channels certainly do incur much more of a delay which may be deliberate to try and make the multiplexing more efficient. Picture quality's still crap though.

24 days later

FL
Flava
623058 posted:
BBC five posted:
Who cares about the clock being a few seconds out. The programmes are a few seconds behind aswell. so is the clock on news 24.

Maybe it you clooks!

Why would I clook? Do I look like a chicken?
JA
jamesmd
Nope, you just look like a mental
FL
Flava
James Hall posted:
Nope, you just look like a mental

Oooh nice one. Creepy queer.
PE
Pete Founding member
Flava posted:
Creepy queer.

and the James Martin trademark homophobia returns.
CW
cwathen Founding member
Quote:
ITV's channels certainly do incur much more of a delay which may be deliberate to try and make the multiplexing more efficient. Picture quality's still crap though.

IIRC different regions on the same transponder are deliberately out of sync so that they aren't displaying exactly the same thing at exactly the same time - there's obviously no point statmuxing several streams which are identical most of the time. This would mean therefore that the gap between analogue terrestrial and DSAT would depend on the region you are watching. Westcountry on DSAT is certainly a good 5 seconds behind the analogue terrestrial broadcast
JA
jamesmd
Hymagumba posted:
Flava posted:
Creepy queer.

and the James Martin trademark homophobia returns.

Well it would if it was even half true.

I'm no queer.

You really are an odd one, JM.
LE
lewsnews
If digital WAS the reason, then the Greenwich Time Signal surely would have been dropped from BBC radio due to digital radio being introduced. Even though this is a TV froum, I must say that the GTS must continue....

" Bleep, bleep, bleep.... The is the BBC from London." (sounds a bit like the BBC News theme)

Newer posts