The Newsroom

New Meridian, BBC South & South East Thread

(July 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
Glenn posted:
I managed to find a clip of the Martyn Davies blooper on YouTube if anyone was interested to see it. It's quite funny to see these weather folk react when things go wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuM42Lw2SVQ

He's very calm and collected isn't he, not exactly one for TV's Naughtiest Blunders!
GL
Glenn
I can still remember when he did have a blunder, though I think it was on "It Shouldn't Happen To a Weather Presenter". He was saying he had two words to describe the weather: "It's blooming freezing!" Then he said to himself "That's three words you plonker!" or something like that. Laughing
MS
mike stand
Work of Artifice posted:

I wonder why CNeast and all 3 Meridians had "cardboard" backdrops to start with?

I assumed at the time that it was lack of space - i.e. studio too small for the set to be able to have (A) a projector, and (B) sufficient projection distance, behind it.

Yet, eventually, all four programmes have introduced projector screen backdrops! Have they miraculously found enough space out of thin air? Or was there no good reason for the previous static backdrops in the first place?

No, it's just that with all of the recent job cuts and redundancies, they've managed to save enough money for a few back-projectors!

PS...when ARE they going to get rid of 'no-neck' Hornsby?
PT
Put The Telly On
mike stand posted:

I know, but 'that's just the way it is'. Wink (Its Hornby).

I still want Mike Debens back but that's never ever going to happen as he retired from TV in 1996 and now lives in the south of France.
TL
tv luvvy
nok32uk posted:
mike stand posted:

I still want Mike Debens back but that's never ever going to happen as he retired from TV in 1996 and now lives in the south of France.

I'd still love to see Glenn Tompsett 'do it' with Charlotte. I've maintained that for some time now. I notice he's doing more reporting for Meridian. If regional news is supposed to put more emphasis on 'personality' Why do they continue to use people like Philip Hornsby and that other monkey, Ian Axton??
DA
DAS Founding member
tv luvvy posted:
nok32uk posted:
mike stand posted:

I'd still love to see Glenn Tompsett 'do it' with Charlotte. I've maintained that for some time now. I notice he's doing more reporting for Meridian. If regional news is supposed to put more emphasis on 'personality' Why do they continue to use people like Philip Hornsby and that other monkey, Ian Axton??

Ian Axton I would agree, but Phil Hornsby I wouldn't. Although he is, quite frankly, bizarre (I used to throw cushions at the TV) he has built up a nice following. He's become a familiar bumbling face and, added with the length of time he's been there, that's quite a nice combination.
AS
Asa Admin
Have to agree, I'm loving Phil's work. "I'm the one here 'till 11 tonight" Laughing

They did a nice what-if yesterday on the news that the South East could team up with Northern France as an EU initiative.

http://www.rp-networkservices.com/tvforum/uploads/mereu.jpg

Phil doing his best Officer Crabtree impression "Zes are ze headlines, ce soir!"

Asa
NH
Nick Harvey Founding member
Asa posted:
Phil doing his best Officer Crabtree impression "Zes are ze headlines, ce soir!"

If his French is THAT good, perhaps he really IS from Notre Dame?
PT
Put The Telly On
The only thing that annoys me about Hornby is he can't sit still! Its like he's waiting for someone to bring him cream cakes and marshmallows all the time.
PR
Primetime
http://www.rp-networkservices.com/tvforum/uploads/07190137.jpg[/quote]

Off topic but the font size on the plasma screens huge!
RM
Richard M
Pitty they don't use that local logos on the top of the graphics instead of just ITV Weather. Sad
Why do ITV insist on covering up the truth? It is just getting boring now. Mad

32 days later

JA
jamej
Any idea who the new weather presenter for South Today is yet?

Newer posts