The Newsroom

John Suchet and Kirsty Young to host Five News alternately

(August 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LO
Londoner
Broadcast posted:
Five News has handed John Suchet a permanent role to anchor the channel's main bulletins alongside Kirsty Young when she returns from maternity leave next month.

Suchet, who was originally hired to cover for Young, will co-present the main bulletins at 5.30pm and 7pm. A third presenter, undecided as yet, will read the evening updates.

Young, who is to become the new presenter of Radio 4's Desert Island Discs, is expected to return in late September.
SN
The SNT Three
Londoner posted:
Broadcast posted:
Five News has handed John Suchet a permanent role to anchor the channel's main bulletins alongside Kirsty Young when she returns from maternity leave next month.

Suchet, who was originally hired to cover for Young, will co-present the main bulletins at 5.30pm and 7pm. A third presenter, undecided as yet, will read the evening updates.

Young, who is to become the new presenter of Radio 4's Desert Island Discs, is expected to return in late September.

So who will present the thursday/friday bulletins?

I somehow don't seem to like the idea of co-presenters. To me, it sounds like a recipe for disaster and I see a frosty feel to it. And as soon as John has a day off they've got to go and find another new presenter.

And I hate how they've failed to give Kate Gerbeau a higher role.
NE
Newsreader
alexcs19 posted:
Londoner posted:
Broadcast posted:

So who will present the thursday/friday bulletins?

I somehow don't seem to like the idea of co-presenters. To me, it sounds like a recipe for disaster and I see a frosty feel to it. And as soon as John has a day off they've got to go and find another new presenter.

And I hate how they've failed to give Kate Gerbeau a higher role.

I'd like it to be Kate co-presenting Thursday and Friday but I expect it will go to Helen Fospero, shame!
BN
Breakfast News
I can see the point for the 5.30 show, but for the 15 min 7pm show? Seems a bit pointless for it.

I suppose this is to try and counteract the other 'high-profile' duos on the other channels, George and Natasha on the Six, Mark and Mary and Jon and Khrishnan.
BR
Brekkie
Co-present - why?

Hopefully it's a misunderstanding and what they mean is they'll alternate!

But just what has happened to Five News over the years? It's gone from being the innovator to being the bulletin that feels more dated than the rest!
YO
yogibarney
John and Kirsty work well together. They had excellent on screen chemistry when they co-presented ITV News bulletins. I don't think it is going to be a recipe for disaster
RI
richardhall99
So does this mean that there will be a re-launch...think that studio could get a little cramped with two presenters in there unless they were moving around alot...one on seat and other at screen or on stairs?
:-(
A former member
richardhall99 posted:
So does this mean that there will be a re-launch...think that studio could get a little cramped with two presenters in there unless they were moving around alot...one on seat and other at screen or on stairs?

Well seeing as I've seen 4 people sat round the desk before now, I don't think they'll have *that* much of a problem.
GL
Glenn
IMO John Suchet is one of the best newscasters ever, and I think it'll be great, especially seen as John'll be staying on-screen. Can't wait to see how they get on. Smile
JA
jamej
They will not co-present but present on alternate nights with the rest of the team covering the evening updates and other bulletins

Link
BR
Brekkie
As I said then - once again the media getting the wrong end of the stick, and this is actually very old news - though I think John Suchet's original appointment was only supposed to be temporary.

Newer posts