TV Home Forum

GMTV (1993 - 2010)

The End (November 2005)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
whiteside2005
I remember when I was in Blackpool for my holidays about 10 years ago or so GMTV was on the beach, I also remember Get Up and Give!
FA
fanoftv
Ben posted:
Didn't 'Fun in the Sun' originally come from around the UK over the summer? I remember in later years it would be from a villa in Spain as mentioned, one year there was a half-hour spin-off on ITV in the afternoons though I think they changed the name for that.

Fun in the sun was 6 different locations around Spain that they stayed at for a week. The Villa around 2002 was with Lorraine Kelly. It took the 8:30-9:25 slot and as said had an afternoon spin off on ITV1.

Get Up & Give originally began travelling to 5 different locations, the popular ones being Legoland, various castles and Alton Towers, mixed in with coverage from the BT tower, and the news from the studio.

It's a shame that they did away with this special type of programming, though thinking about it, which of the presenters would have gone around Spain nowadays with the current set all having families and kids.

They could of course still do something, even if it was just to have a sofa ready to be moved onto the south bank, as they have done with LK Today on odd occasions. At least it would be a bit of a change.
JC
JCB
Isn't it time for the annual "GMTV will be given a massive over-haul in September,," rumour? Rolling Eyes Which everyone will take as fact - only to be disappointed come September.

It seems to happen every year...and people never learn. Laughing
AN
Andrew Founding member
I remember reading on here that during Get up and give, the viewing figures went down, which is why they don't do it anymore

I can understand that, you don't really want to be asked to donate money all the time at 7am in the morning
BL
theblokewhatwritesthenews
JCB posted:
Isn't it time for the annual "GMTV will be given a massive over-haul in September,," rumour? Rolling Eyes Which everyone will take as fact - only to be disappointed come September.

It seems to happen every year...and people never learn. Laughing

Not this year...
ST
stevek
I like give up and get as it got them out of the studio for a week, and they also raised lots of money

give up and get?, maybe i should give up and get a proof reader
RU
russnet Founding member
I remember the Get Up and Give of 1995 in which they wanted to break the UK Conga record and they wanted to get 9000 people to turn up on a May Friday morning at my local Safeway in Milton Keynes. The trouble is only 300 people turned up and that was mainly made of Safeway staff. The camera work had to be quite clever that day! They even had Anthea Turner putting items through a checkout!
WE
Westy2
russnet posted:
They even had Anthea Turner putting items through a checkout!

Well I suppose she needed the experience for the future Laughing
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Didn't GMTV manage to pitch a lunchtime show to the ITV network while they were doing the villa thing?
TE
teleonline Founding member
There also was the GMTV Cafe, broadcast throughout August from a cafe in London.
JE
Jez Founding member
I remember GMTV's "Get Up And Give" and "Fun in the Sun" programmes. Shame they dont do them anymore
NW
nwtv2003
Steve in Pudsey posted:
Didn't GMTV manage to pitch a lunchtime show to the ITV network while they were doing the villa thing?

Yes they did, I remember it was the Summer over 1998, they had it at 8.35am and then at something like 1.25pm, and it was damn right odd seeing a 'A GMTV Production for ITV' endcap, think the closing endcap of the time but with that tagline.

GMTV Cafe was an oddity, for some reason that Summer (2000 I think) they took GMTV Today off for most of the month and added an extra half an hour to the Newshour.

ISTR a time when basically they stopped the 9.25am switchover, GMTV carried on for an extra minute or two before handing over for a preview of This Morning, shame they never carried on with it.

Newer posts