TV Home Forum

Sport Relief/Only Fools on Horses

(May 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
From Media Guardian...

BBC1 also jumps on the celebrity reality bandwagon this summer with Only Fools on Horses, in which contestants - rumoured to include Jordan - try their hand at show-jumping.

Shocked
BU
buster
...for Sport Relief. The three words they forget...
BE
benjy
Actually the next paragraph is:

A working title, Only Fools on Horses will raise money for Sport Aid and will be produced by Endemol, the company behind Big Brother.

I don't see the problem if it's for Sport Aid - and at least it's something a bit different to the usual singing or dancing contests.
TV
tvarksouthwest
Nothing against raising money for charity, but surely they can do it without resorting to reality?
BB
BBC LDN
tvarksouthwest posted:
Nothing against raising money for charity, but surely they can do it without resorting to reality?

That has to be one of the most stupid - and bizarre - posts I've ever seen on TV Forum. What exactly is so wrong about using celebrities in a "see them try and fail" scenario when it's for a good cause? This isn't a long-running commission, it's just a bit of fun to help raise funds for charity.

Perhaps you'd rather national fund-raising efforts were restricted to studio-only telethons with celebrities doing only what they're normally paid to do and hoping that people will send some cash in. Personally, I'd be happy to watch paint dry on any channel if I thought it would raise money for a good cause, and I find it as ridiculous as I do offensive that you resent the BBC for using a not-terribly-imaginative format for the purpose of fund-raising.

Lay into the BBC for imitative dross like Fame Academy, and by all means complain about the number of repeats and "me-too" shows dotted around the BBC schedules, but don't be so petty as to complain that a format like this is being used on a short-term basis for a good cause, because it just makes you look like even more of a fool than you already do.
DV
darth vader
I think this will be quite funny actually, so it should be successful in raising money for Sport Relief. It's definitely a new format, and I am all for that.
MA
marksi
tvarksouthwest posted:

Sometimes I think a dose of reality would do you the world of good.
NG
noggin Founding member
I think it is worth doing if only for the brilliant title "Only Fools on Horses"!
TV
tvarksouthwest
BBC LDN posted:
tvarksouthwest posted:

That has to be one of the most stupid - and bizarre - posts I've ever seen on TV Forum. What exactly is so wrong about using celebrities in a "see them try and fail" scenario when it's for a good cause? This isn't a long-running commission, it's just a bit of fun to help raise funds for charity.

You should know by now I've nothing against TV fundraisers. The BBC is the master of them after all and they have innovative ideas such as Comic Relief and, more recently, sport relief. I KNOW it's only a short-term commission, but the timing is incredibly bad.

The schedules will be awash with various reality formats this summer. Mostly ratings chasers, but I'm hard pressed to think there isn't a slight element of "me too"...

The coming months will be TV hell for some people, with Big Brother and its rivals, Wimbledon and the World Cup...if Only Fools On Horses was planned for later in the year I might be less hostile.
BB
BBC LDN
tvarksouthwest posted:
BBC LDN posted:
tvarksouthwest posted:

You should know by now I've nothing against TV fundraisers. The BBC is the master of them after all and they have innovative ideas such as Comic Relief and, more recently, sport relief. I KNOW it's only a short-term commission, but the timing is incredibly bad.

The schedules will be awash with various reality formats this summer. Mostly ratings chasers, but I'm hard pressed to think there isn't a slight element of "me too"...

The coming months will be TV hell for some people, with Big Brother and its rivals, Wimbledon and the World Cup...if Only Fools On Horses was planned for later in the year I might be less hostile.

Get over it.
TV
tvarksouthwest
Very nice - everyone pays the licence but if we don't like what's on offer we're told to "eff off"...
MA
marksi
tvarksouthwest posted:
Very nice - everyone pays the licence but if we don't like what's on offer we're told to "eff off"...

Not told to F off, just to turn it off.

There will be programmes you don't like that other people do, and vice-versa.

The views of one person are no more valid than the views of another, though I realise this is an alien concept to you, given your penchent for the banning or uber-regulation of everything you don't like.

Newer posts