TV Home Forum

Coronation Street

Big week of storylines and Corrie in HD from Monday (February 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JE
Jez Founding member
The Rovers Fire was a great episode, my earliest memory of the show at 5 years old in 1986. Im glad they put it on the 80s DVD set as my video copy (from the set of videos released for the 30th anniversary) was getting worn out as id watched it so many times.

I noticed on the Rovers fire episode we had a different set of credits just for that episode, and the first minute or so of the episode they showed the back of the street before cutting to the burning Rovers cellar. They also had a longer than usual theme on the end credits.
JE
Jez Founding member
[quote="Pootle5"]
BBCNicky@Yorks posted:

On another point, Adam is growing on me (after all this time) his acting has improved. They should find a way of making him establish his own business that does really well and out does Danny.

I agree, Adam has improved since his return. I think Adam should get together with Joanne, they need to give her a storyline. I also think the actress who plays Kelly has improved, she was hopeless when she started but im surprised at how good she is now.

I also agree that its time Dev went. However i heard he has a storyline with Amber coming up, I dont mind her, she makes me laugh.
JA
james2001 Founding member

Wasn't that the set of opening titles that was used for around 2 or 3 months, before vanishing?
PO
Pootle5
james2001 posted:

Wasn't that the set of opening titles that was used for around 2 or 3 months, before vanishing?

No, I think it was just the Rovers' fire episode.
WA
waldo Founding member
I've never actually seen the fire episode in full, just short clips. Is there anywhere online you can watch full old episodes?
DJ
DJGM
Indeed, it was a one-off set of titles especially for that episode. It was a series of still images, showing dawn breaking
over Salford, since the first half of the episode is set at about 06:00 in the morning, after Kevin and Sally get home
from a night of the town. Sally nicked the front door key off Kevin, for what was still Hilda's gaff at the time, and
ran off. Kevin chased her around the Street, and they stopped at the front wall of Baldwins Casuals.

It's at that point, Sally sees the smoke starting to billow out, and flames flickering behind the front doors on the pub.

"Kevin ... fire!"
WE
Westy2
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that episode the first time Corrie used OB Video for the location scenes?

After that episode, it went back to film for the outdoor scenes, until they changed permantly to OBVT sometime in the 90's. (When exactly?)

*Just noticed on tonight's episode, what somebody sent a letter into one of the Sunday papers about, re trying to cover up Jane Danson's pregnancy, or not !*
JA
james2001 Founding member
Westy2 posted:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that episode the first time Corrie used OB Video for the location scenes?

After that episode, it went back to film for the outdoor scenes, until they changed permantly to OBVT sometime in the 90's. (When exactly?)

It was certinally all video from the time I started watching on Granada Plus, they were showing episodes from August 1988 at that point, they were certinally still on film around a year earlier though. It's quite odd actually, that Corrie were so late switching to VT though. Emmerdale Farm had been VT since the mid-70s (I saw a clip recently from 1975 that was VT), and Brookside (I think) & EastEnders were VT from the start. I wonder why it took Corrie so long, especially as the set is so close to the studio an OB should have been easily possible- surely it would have been much cheaper than the cost of the film stock, developing & telecine?
JE
Jez Founding member
Pootle5 posted:
james2001 posted:

No, I think it was just the Rovers' fire episode.

Yes I think every other episode between May 1976 - 1990 had the set of credits with the ginger cat falling asleep on the rooftops (the longest running set of opening titles in Corrie's history)
PT
Put The Telly On
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/greg.mitchell3/misc/rovers-fire/roversfire1.jpg

The titles for this are on TV Ark - 1986 Fire titles
DB
dbl
From The Mirror ....

GETTING HER OWN BECK
Kelly is framed for robbery by a vengeful Becky

Watch out, there's a thief about. And although it is an innocent Kelly who will end up in trouble, this is one of those spooky bunny-boiler stories that Corrie does so well.

For like the infamous Mad Maya and the malevolent Twisted Tracy, new factory girl Becky is obviously a piece of elastic short of a full pair of drawers. Now going into scary Single White Female mode, all she has to do to take over bessie mate Kelly's life is rub gravy browning into her face, put on an Afro wig and bed her dopey and smug boyfriend, Lloyd.

"Me an' you should be like sisters," Becky says bug-eyed and, as usual, chewing manically on a piece of gum. Sure, but unfortunately like Bette Davis and Joan Crawford as Baby Jane Hudson and her sister Blanche in the 1962 movie classic, Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?

Having done the Good Samaritan bit by putting a roof over Becky's head, Kelly reaches the end of her patience after the interloper borrows one of her tops.

But with Becky's Cinderella act of doing all the cleaning, cooking, ironing Lloyd's Y-fronts and even giving him a massage, he has an idea. "We could always kick 'er out, but employ 'er as a maid," he laughs.

Told to find her own place and lent £200 as a deposit, Becky takes rejection badly and begins a campaign to get even with Kelly. First the ironing fanatic 'accidentally' burns that controversial top. And then, on Wednesday, Fiz and Blanche's purses both go missing.

There's a tense moment as Kelly comes home that night and Becky is rifling through the stolen booty, clearly ready to plant it on her now loathed best friend and, it follows, frame her for robbery.

As Becky quickly hides the purses, Kelly tries to be friendly, only for the mad woman to vent her true feelings. "Stuck up bitch," she hisses to herself.

Uh-oh. Kelly is in for a hard time.

Oh No, poor Kelly! Surprised

(I hope this isn't true)
JE
Jez Founding member
A reminder that due to the football there is no episode tonight. Tonights episode will be shown Friday night and Friday and Sunday's shown back to back on Sunday night.

Also next week there is no episode on Wednesday either but there will be a double episode on the Friday.

Newer posts