The Newsroom

The future of Scottish news...

General comment and ideas thread for Scot news. (March 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TE
TELEVISION
Jane Lewis Fan posted:
REPORTING SCOTLAND
Ahh the terrible twosome (Jackie "you canny shove yer granny aff a bus, because she's in possession of an travel entitlement card" Bird and David "Chilled oot" Robertson Laughing ) You'll never forget them will ye. Laughing

I could just imagine RS daen a split wi those twa on air - technically it would be quite funny, as we know how they have their "lovers rift" Laughing They would both be trying to edge out each other (raise their voice, so that it was only one that could be heard newsreading) Shocked

Lol, I always watch out for when the two of them are on. They are sometimes quite cold towards each other, Jackie especially. But other times they enjoy a laugh at the end of the programme. Don't quite know what is going on between them.

On another note, I see Peter Sloss presented the weather yesterday. Thats the first BBC Scotland TV weather report I've seen him do. Heard him on BBC Radio Scotland though.
PC
p_c_u_k
Thank you BBC World (although I'm really worried you've managed to keep track of how long I've been here ... :p). Normally good stuff? That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said about me. :p

Anyhoo - Jackie and David always remind me of the pairing in the film Anchorman. Except David hasn't said "Go f*** yourself Scotland" at the end of a broadcast, but I suppose there's still time. Go on Jackie, play about with the autocue...

As for Peter Sloss — he's been on occasionally, mainly in the mornings, but seems to be a regular stand-in in evenings now.

Have to say, having just got NTL Digital and therefore having access to BBC NI and Wales, how much more professional their news services look, and how much more interested their continuity announcers sound. Even if I couldn't understand the Welsh one at first (with apologies if he happens to be on the forum... oops... :p)
MO
Moz
Everything from London (Scotland being part of the UK as it is) with regional news programmes just like other parts of the UK, like East Anglia, get at 6.30.

Why should they get anything more?
PC
p_c_u_k
It's an argument I can see both sides of. On the one hand Scotland only accounts for five million out of 55 million people in the UK, so why should it be given any preference? But on the other, it is a separate country within the UK with its own legal system, parliament, and laws, and in so many cases reports on the national news are irrelevant to the nation.

I would like to see a Scottish Six, but appreciate it's not going to happen. Instead I'd prefer to see Reporting Scotland revamped so it is made relevant and treats Scotland as a nation, and not some daft 'cat stuck up tree' region.

However, as pointed out earlier - how much more could it cost to run a Scottish Six? The vast majority of reports would be taken from network, with alterations made to some which are irrelevant to Scotland (a re-voiceover perhaps), and reports are already put together for Reporting Scotland as it is which would be included in this programme. You would have the same two presenters. It wouldn't actually cost that much more. The major different would come in the prioritisation of stories - major Scottish issues would be further forward than usual, England and Wales only reports would be abolished, and constant reports on the England cricket team or the usual nonsense whenever England are in a major football tournament wouldn't be there.

If your objection is that 'they shouldn't get it unless we get it', then treating England as a region would be pointless - 99 per cent of the news would be identical, and I can't see an Anglia six coming any time soon.
PC
p_c_u_k
It's an argument I can see both sides of. On the one hand Scotland only accounts for five million out of 55 million people in the UK, so why should it be given any preference? But on the other, it is a separate country within the UK with its own legal system, parliament, and laws, and in so many cases reports on the national news are irrelevant to the nation.

I would like to see a Scottish Six, but appreciate it's not going to happen. Instead I'd prefer to see Reporting Scotland revamped so it is made relevant and treats Scotland as a nation, and not some daft 'cat stuck up tree' region.

However, as pointed out earlier - how much more could it cost to run a Scottish Six? The vast majority of reports would be taken from network, with alterations made to some which are irrelevant to Scotland (a re-voiceover perhaps), and reports are already put together for Reporting Scotland as it is which would be included in this programme. You would have the same two presenters. It wouldn't actually cost that much more.

If your objection is that 'they shouldn't get it unless we get it', then treating England as a region would be pointless - 99 per cent of the news would be identical, and I can't see a Yorkshire six coming any time soon.
ST
STV Today
p_c_u_k posted:

However, as pointed out earlier - how much more could it cost to run a Scottish Six? The vast majority of reports would be taken from network, with alterations made to some which are irrelevant to Scotland (a re-voiceover perhaps), and reports are already put together for Reporting Scotland as it is which would be included in this programme. You would have the same two presenters. It wouldn't actually cost that much more.

If your objection is that 'they shouldn't get it unless we get it', then treating England as a region would be pointless - 99 per cent of the news would be identical, and I can't see a Yorkshire six coming any time soon.

Happy anniversary pcuk.. Very Happy
I certainly agree with your points regarding a Scottish Six. Perhaps my heart overrules my head on this one? I would like to hear your thoughts on a Sky Scotland bulletin though?
Smile
PC
p_c_u_k
I'd like to see a Sky Scotland bulletin but in reality I don't think it'll ever happen. Sky News Ireland made sense as a tester because different advertising is sold for the UK and for Ireland, and a lot of news (even more than for Scotland) on the UK service had no relevance to Ireland. It's also quite handy for winning over opinion formers in the Republic - that has been what Sky News has been for in the UK, after all. But it doesn't seem to have made any massive impact over in the Republic.

Scotland probably doesn't even register on Rupert Murdoch's radar, aside from trying to take on the tabloid Daily Record up here with a 10p Sun. He wouldn't win any brownie points from Labour or the Tories for doing it (probably the direct reversal, given their hatred of the idea of a Scottish Six) and there's no benefit in gaining advertising. It really doesn't seem likely.

Although a Sky News Scotland with Shereen would be interesting, and would probably act as a good feeder to the national network (I've spotted at least one Irish newsreader make it to London), it doesn't seem cost effective.

Commercially, it's not viable. That's when the BBC is meant to step in and provide an alternative.
ST
STV Today
p_c_u_k posted:
I'd like to see a Sky Scotland bulletin but in reality I don't think it'll ever happen. Sky News Ireland made sense as a tester because different advertising is sold for the UK and for Ireland, and a lot of news (even more than for Scotland) on the UK service had no relevance to Ireland. It's also quite handy for winning over opinion formers in the Republic - that has been what Sky News has been for in the UK, after all. But it doesn't seem to have made any massive impact over in the Republic.

Scotland probably doesn't even register on Rupert Murdoch's radar, aside from trying to take on the tabloid Daily Record up here with a 10p Sun. He wouldn't win any brownie points from Labour or the Tories for doing it (probably the direct reversal, given their hatred of the idea of a Scottish Six) and there's no benefit in gaining advertising. It really doesn't seem likely.

Although a Sky News Scotland with Shereen would be interesting, and would probably act as a good feeder to the national network (I've spotted at least one Irish newsreader make it to London), it doesn't seem cost effective.

Commercially, it's not viable. That's when the BBC is meant to step in and provide an alternative.

Valid comments there pcuk...sadly, I can see your thoughts being spot on, which makes the Scottish media landscape dead in the water. I can see me tuning into Home and Away and Hollyoaks before long. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
KK
Killie Kingdom
Aye well, it's sadly seems as though real regionality is DEAD Sad . No more good quality programming for the region. It's a mad mad situation which had truly killed off regional programming for good. Confused

RIP Scottish/Grampian Regional Programmes. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Sometimes you ask yourself - why doesn't OFCOM do anything? They've just sat back and watched programming up here get worse and worse, as it's they don't even care! Mad
SM
smgboi
Did anyone see the build up on Scotland Today to the weekend Hearts/Hibs game? Jane Lewis and Raman were each coming LIVE from different pubs in Edinburgh. Jane had a huge crowd of loud men cheering and it seemed fun and exciting. Raman, on the other hand, had an empty pub. Maybe STV bosses should watch the tape back again and question why Raman is staying and Jane is going!!
ST
STV Today
smgboi posted:
Did anyone see the build up on Scotland Today to the weekend Hearts/Hibs game? Jane Lewis and Raman were each coming LIVE from different pubs in Edinburgh. Jane had a huge crowd of loud men cheering and it seemed fun and exciting. Raman, on the other hand, had an empty pub. Maybe STV bosses should watch the tape back again and question why Raman is staying and Jane is going!!

Yeah and why Shereen and Sarah have been allowed to go while Louise and Stephen stay on Mad
KK
Killie Kingdom
smgboi posted:

Aye I did - loved every minute of it. Laughing

Newer posts