The Newsroom

Al Jazeera English & Al Jazeera America

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JH
Jonathan H
themagicmonkey posted:
Yet more tolerance from the dear Daily Mail-reading British public. Have you ever watched Al Jazeera and do you understand the importance of "free speech"? Quite clearly not. It gives just as much space to American/British/ even Israeli politicians as to Al-Qaeda, which it would hardly do if it was "connected" with Islamic extremists. Nor, for that matter, would it have female newsreaders with uncovered hair. Is it just that you don't like to have your cosy views challenged? Utterly, utterly pathetic.

I agree with you, but who were your remarks directed at?!
MA
themagicmonkey
The depressingly high number of people who spew out nonsense about things they don't understand. On this board it was specifically Jonathan (and all new Phil's dad!).
JO
Jonathan
themagicmonkey posted:
The depressingly high number of people who spew out nonsense about things they don't understand. On this board it was specifically Jonathan (and all new Phil's dad!).

I think everyone is entitled to what they believe in, otherwise isn't that a suspension of free speech? Have you ever spoken to those Muslim viewers who find the channel biased towards Israel? Have you noted down the various staff in the past who have stirred up controversy such as Taysir Allouini and Akram Khuzam? I know every channel will have its problems, just look at the BBC and the whole Gilligan affair. I hope the new international channel will be a good rival to CNN. And finally, don't assume I don't understand anything about this matter, because I do. I think the only problem you have with what I've said is that it was mostly my opinion, so sorry.
DV
darth vader
Jonathan posted:
...personally I don't want it in the UK.

But what harm will it do if it is broadcasting here? (apart from the obvious fact that violence may occur as a result of narrow minded people not willing to accept the channel)
JO
Jonathan
darth vader posted:
Jonathan posted:
...personally I don't want it in the UK.

But what harm will it do if it is broadcasting here? (apart from the obvious fact that violence may occur as a result of narrow minded people not willing to accept the channel)

That's precisely what I am worried about, although it is unlikely. I'm sure the station will have top security, and yes, it is narrow minded people who I'm concerned about.
ZO
zola25
wondered where she had gone. Good luck to her i say she was the only reason i watched ITV news. She seems smart enough to know the problems working for them may cause. Will it be a free to air channel or will you have to subscribe to it
DV
darth vader
zola25 posted:
wondered where she had gone. Good luck to her i say she was the only reason i watched ITV news. She seems smart enough to know the problems working for them may cause. Will it be a free to air channel or will you have to subscribe to it

It'll probably start off free to air and after a few months a subscriber service. Or it'll just be free to air.
ZO
zola25
hope it free to air be worth it just to see her and her great smile
JH
Jonathan H
darth vader posted:
zola25 posted:

It'll probably start off free to air and after a few months a subscriber service. Or it'll just be free to air.

Got all the bases covered there, then! Laughing
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
New article in MediaGuardian about the channel here:

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,,1699066,00.html

Essentially it's saying it's not going to be all about the Middle East, but will just use the expertise there for stories from the region, just as they'll use the London, Washington and Kuala Lumpur bases for stories from those areas. Also stressing that they won't be focusing on each region based on where Prime-Time is (like CNNi do) but will have a international agenda all day.

Also it appears there's some controversy over the lack of Middle Eastern talent being used on the channel.
TK
TerryK125
Longer piece here and some quotes

AIB Website
LO
Londoner
Another piece form today's MediaGuardian supplement, including an interview with David Frost:
http://media.guardian.co.uk/mediaguardian/story/0,,1702626,00.html

Newer posts