The Newsroom

Al Jazeera English & Al Jazeera America

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AR
A:R:I:S:E
Bob Paisley posted:
newschannel posted:
Morale is so low at ITV and she deserves this break. She's a great talent.
Over and out from me.

I'd hardly go so far as to say a 'great talent'. She's okay as a newsreader - but was dreadful as a correspondent (so much so she was stopped from doing reporting for ITN - and ended up on the NC as a sort of booby prize). Quite captivating visually though.

As far as Al-Jazeera goes - bearing in mind the huge number of ex-ITN people who are going there (and presumably Sky and Beeb too) I think it's likely to be fairly sympathetic to the West.

Oh I think you're being a bit harsh there. As I said in another thread, I had a chat and a ciggie with Felicity at an event she was covering a few years ago, and believe me, she's totally clued up on her subject matter.

And ITV News didn't stop her from doing reports- she was given a senior role on the Olympic bid announcement.

I have my reservations about Al- Jazeera but time will tell, and those of you who think that beauty and brains don't mix are in for a pleasant surprise if Felicity is given a senior role there.
JO
Jonathan
Bob Paisley posted:
newschannel posted:
Over and out from me.

I'd hardly go so far as to say a 'great talent'. She's okay as a newsreader - but was dreadful as a correspondent (so much so she was stopped from doing reporting for ITN - and ended up on the NC as a sort of booby prize). Quite captivating visually though.

As far as Al-Jazeera goes - bearing in mind the huge number of ex-ITN people who are going there (and presumably Sky and Beeb too) I think it's likely to be fairly sympathetic to the West.

Don't be so ridiculous, Flic was one of the best at ITV News. She's clearly knowledgable and a talented journalist and a nice lady, so I can see her going far. One question bugs me though...how old is she? She's been a round a fair few years, I'd say 34?
JA
jamesmd
Jonathan posted:
Bob Paisley posted:
newschannel posted:
Over and out from me.

Don't be so ridiculous, Flic was one of the best at ITV News. She's clearly knowledgable and a talented journalist and a nice lady, so I can see her going far. One question bugs me though...how old is she? She's been a round a fair few years, I'd say 34?

Flic? As far as I know it should still be Felicity to you.

I don't know how you can tell so much about a person from what you see on screen. They could be putting on an act for the camera (as is usual) but off-camera, they're horrible. Mike Neville is an example of this.
LU
Luke
Jonathan posted:
Bob Paisley posted:
newschannel posted:
Over and out from me.

with the greatest of respect: you're quite young, aren't you!?
JO
Jonathan
Luke posted:
Jonathan posted:
Bob Paisley posted:
newschannel posted:
Over and out from me.

with the greatest of respect: you're quite young, aren't you!?

I'm 26. And I think I can call a newsreader I have no personal contact with 'FLIC' if I want to. Do you not call Nicholas Owen 'Nick' simply because you don't know them? Get a grip. Now, continue you're discussion of Flic whilst I back off from your handbag.
JA
jamesmd
Jonathan posted:
I'm 26. And I think I can call a newsreader I have no personal contact with 'FLIC' if I want to.

I didn't even know that was her nickname. I'll be surprised if you did as well!

Johnathan posted:
Do you not call Nicholas Owen 'Nick' simply because you don't know them?

I don't actually, because there's a difference between Nick Owen (TV-am, Good Morning etc.) and Nicholas Owen (ITN).

Johnathan posted:
Get a grip. Now, continue you're discussion of Flic whilst I back off from your handbag.

I think we'll talk about Felicity, thanks.

And thanks, but my handbag is firmly underneath my arm. I just don't get why you feel the need (and a lot of forumers do this, as well) to incessantly refer to newscasters like they're close relations. They are people who read the news, not your mothers-in-law!

(The only exception to this rule is Natasha "Tash/Tashie" Kaplinsky, who quite honestly deserves it, as it's patronising).

And your "whatever" comeback to my post was childish. Moi, get a grip? Pot, kettle, black, good sir?
JO
Jonathan
Jaimé Alexandéz posted:
Jonathan posted:
I'm 26. And I think I can call a newsreader I have no personal contact with 'FLIC' if I want to.

I didn't even know that was her nickname. I'll be surprised if you did as well!

Johnathan posted:
Do you not call Nicholas Owen 'Nick' simply because you don't know them?

I don't actually, because there's a difference between Nick Owen (TV-am, Good Morning etc.) and Nicholas Owen (ITN).

Johnathan posted:
Get a grip. Now, continue you're discussion of Flic whilst I back off from your handbag.

I think we'll talk about Felicity, thanks.

And thanks, but my handbag is firmly underneath my arm. I just don't get why you feel the need (and a lot of forumers do this, as well) to incessantly refer to newscasters like they're close relations. They are people who read the news, not your mothers-in-law!

(The only exception to this rule is Natasha "Tash/Tashie" Kaplinsky, who quite honestly deserves it, as it's patronising).

And your "whatever" comeback to my post was childish. Moi, get a grip? Pot, kettle, black, good sir?

Oh you just love pushing people to the edge. However, I just laugh because Cat described you so well in 'that' post didn't he? No need for me to repeat it then.
FG
FG1
A:R:I:S:E posted:
Bob Paisley posted:
newschannel posted:
Over and out from me.

Oh I think you're being a bit harsh there. As I said in another thread, I had a chat and a ciggie with Felicity at an event she was covering a few years ago, and believe me, she's totally clued up on her subject matter.

And ITV News didn't stop her from doing reports- she was given a senior role on the Olympic bid announcement.

I have my reservations about Al- Jazeera but time will tell, and those of you who think that beauty and brains don't mix are in for a pleasant surprise if Felicity is given a senior role there.

I would be VERY surprised if you had shared a ciggie with Flic. She is completely anti-smoking!!
AR
A:R:I:S:E
FG1 posted:
Bob Paisley posted:
newschannel posted:
Over and out from me.

I would be VERY surprised if you had shared a ciggie with Flic. She is completely anti-smoking!!

Well as I said this was a few years back......times change! But I don't know how she'd have reacted if I'd called her Flic, you're a braver man than me if you did that!

Really thoguh, I don't know why so many of you have a problem with her. She is both professional and good- humoured when it's the right time, I believe she has a bright future ahead of her, which is why I am slightly concerned by her signing for Al- Jazeera. Public opinion could turn against the network at any time due to its controversial nature and those who work there could end up with their reputations tarnised.

I personally would have very strong reservations about signing up to work for such a channel.
JO
Jonathan
FG1 posted:
Bob Paisley posted:
newschannel posted:
Over and out from me.

Well as I said this was a few years back......times change! But I don't know how she'd have reacted if I'd called her Flic, you're a braver man than me if you did that!

Really thoguh, I don't know why so many of you have a problem with her. She is both professional and good- humoured when it's the right time, I believe she has a bright future ahead of her, which is why I am slightly concerned by her signing for Al- Jazeera. Public opinion could turn against the network at any time due to its controversial nature and those who work there could end up with their reputations tarnised.

I personally would have very strong reservations about signing up to work for such a channel.

I'm with you on that one.
JH
Jonathan H
I believe she has a bright future ahead of her, which is why I am slightly concerned by her signing for Al- Jazeera. Public opinion could turn against the network at any time due to its controversial nature and those who work there could end up with their reputations tarnised.

Might it not be a good idea to find out a bit more about Al Jazeera before you jump to conclusions like that? Maybe look at some of the facts, rather than listening to urban myth and reputation? Don't you think the large number of television news employees from Sky, ITN and the BBC who are moving across to Al Jazeera would have wanted the exact same questions answered to their satisfaction before signing a contract? Let's see what the channel is like once it's on air before making assumptions!
MA
themagicmonkey
Yet more tolerance from the dear Daily Mail-reading British public. Have you ever watched Al Jazeera and do you understand the importance of "free speech"? Quite clearly not. It gives just as much space to American/British/ even Israeli politicians as to Al-Qaeda, which it would hardly do if it was "connected" with Islamic extremists. Nor, for that matter, would it have female newsreaders with uncovered hair. Is it just that you don't like to have your cosy views challenged? Utterly, utterly pathetic.

Newer posts