TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GE
Gareth E
I've been looking for ages for a forum on BBC Sport presentation but I can't find one, so I thought I'd start a thread here! Hope a few people are interested!

Its a big few months ahead for BBC Sport - Winter Olympics, Six Nations and Commonwealth Games all within two months, and all without Steve Rider to anchor it all.

Another example of BBC cost-cutting - using last year's Six Nations promos again this year! Thought they might have made an effort seeing its a new look presentation team.
Last edited by Gareth E on 10 September 2012 8:50pm - 5 times in total
:-(
A former member
Sorry!
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
Joe Havard posted:
Moderator Edit - image removed. This is a legitimate topic which does not deserve such treatment. Please refrain from taking threads off-topic unnecessarily.

What the hells that all about ? This seems like a legitimate topic to me.
BR
Brekkie
I think it's time that BBC Sport refreshed it's general graphics package.

It's been a great look which worked well for the BBC, but now is beginning to look quite dated.

Typhically the BBC seems to alternate between a generic look for it's sport output and programme specific looks, so I wonder what we'll see next?
GE
Gareth E
I think the current black/yellow generic look will be around for a while, considering they have employed it in so many outlets. All BBC Sport broadcasts are based around it, as is the website.

Personally I think it looks quite good. The standard black/yellow with a different colour for each sport, i.e. red for football, green for tennis, blue for golf, and the turqoise look of Grandstand has become standard.

Problem is, its too restricting in big events. During the 2004 Olympics, the generic yellow/black/blue scheme was used. In recent years, we've either had a golden globe ident (Barcelona 92), a brilliant gold/red scheme (Atlanta 96), or a deep red scheme (Athens). All unique to Games presentation. Seemed like they hadnt made any effort at all for Athens. I'll be interested to see what they do during the Winter Olympics.
MI
Michael
The black and yellow is good - however the use of Zurich BN is looking increasingly boring - and News 24 doesn't even use the correct font in its sports presentation. Red and Yellow works less well - they look like Lego blocks. Also get rid of the colouring on the score bar - we know which team is which.
BR
Brekkie
I know your on about a different "score bar", but it really annoys me on Grandstand how they flash up the football results everytime someone scores - especially during the Rugby. They wouldn't flash up rugby results during football.

Nowadays most viewers have access to either Score Interactive or BBCi Text / Ceefax if they want the latest score!
IS
Inspector Sands
bbcsport posted:
I think the current black/yellow generic look will be around for a while, considering they have employed it in so many outlets. All BBC Sport broadcasts are based around it, as is the website.

The old scheme was used by all their outlets too.

They tend to introduce their new 'looks' to co-incide with a big sporting event. IIRC this one came in at the start of the 6 nations about 3 years ago (at least that's when I first saw it) . World Cup coming up... if it's going to change it'll be then
AN
Ant
Alexia posted:
Also get rid of the colouring on the score bar - we know which team is which.

I quite like the colouring on the score bar - it's quite useful if you've not got great football knowledge. They're quite small aswell so I don't see the problem with it.
GE
Gareth E
Brekkie Boy posted:
I know your on about a different "score bar", but it really annoys me on Grandstand how they flash up the football results everytime someone scores - especially during the Rugby. They wouldn't flash up rugby results during football.

Nowadays most viewers have access to either Score Interactive or BBCi Text / Ceefax if they want the latest score!

They've destroyed Grandstand in general by splitting Saturday afternoon into three separate programmes.

Grandstand was at its best when it ran from 12.15pm right through until 5.20pm, included Football Focus and Final Score, and had one regular anchor (Bough, Lynam, Rider) who linked everything together. Nowadays, its a minimum of three presenters, and Grandstand itself only runs from 1.00pm to 4.30pm, with a different presenter every week depending on the content.

Score, however, is a great idea, and it absolutely should remove some of the need for latest score bars.
AR
A:R:I:S:E
I agree Grandstand isn't the programme it was, and was much better when it was all linked together by one solid anchor.

My biggest problem with the modern- day BBC Sport is the way in which retired sports 'stars' are instantly considered God's gift to television presenting, at the expense of very able sports journalists.

I also detest the smugness that surrounds much of the BBC's sports output across television and radio. Take Match of the Day for example, Lineker, the once- controversial Hansen and Lawrensen, sitting there in open- necked shirts, doing an irritating old- pals act. I'm not picking on MOTD in particular, this culture extends right across the Beeb's sports output.

I'm also angered by the way in which they treat their commentators. John Motson has become a parody of himself and has become unpleasant to listen to, but is kept on because he has, in the past, been a great commentator.

David Coleman, when he retired, was given no sort of a send- off by the BBC at all, after 50 years of loyal service (though I admit the time had come for him to retire). I bet Motty retires to a fanfare of publicity.

The excellent and authoratitive snooker commentator Ray Edmonds was shunted off for no reason at all. John Virgo would've suffered a similar fate if it wasn't for his stint on Big Break.

I have two clear messages for BBC Sport: 1. Make your male presenters wear ties. 2. Retired sports stars don't automatically make good presenters or commentators.
GE
Gareth E
I agree - ex-sports stars are generally terrible presenters, but there are a few exceptions . . .

Lineker has just about proven himself on Match of the Day, I'll resevere judgement though until he tackles the Masters and the Open.

Steve Cram had a dodgy start a few years back, but he IMO he proved himself on Olympic Grandstand last year. But sometimes sounds so relaxed he's horizontal.

Steve Davis and John Parrott have gone solo presenting a few snooker programmes - disastrous.

And as for ties - fair enough, polo shirts or whatever on Sunday Grandstand. But on Grandstand, Match of the Day, and any major event, its gotta be formal. Just doesnt feel right otherwise.

Newer posts