On 31st Dec (December 2005)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
Taken from TV-Ark's forum...
http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=270

Quote:
Forum Closure

The TV Ark forum is to close on 31st December 2005.

We recommend that users may like to register with Asa Hick's excellent TV Forum. This closure date allows time for users to register with TV Forum and also to exchange contact details with other users.

We would like to thank David Hemsley and Ben Pirozzolo for moderating for us for the past couple of years.

We hope that you have enjoyed the forum and will continue to enjoy the rest of what the site offers.

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from the TV Ark team!

It seems a pity that they're shutting their forum. It would seem that they are reluctant to reveal the reasons behind their decision, however it's their choice and it seems that the decision is final.

Oh well, just a thanks to Steve Hackett for plugging these forums.
SA
saturdaymorning
I hope you can look at past threads when it closes.
DH
DavidHemsley
The TV Ark team have taken this collective decision. Both myself and Ben are not privvy to the reasonings behind it, and yes its a great shame that the forums are closing.

We have to accept this is happening, and move on,(as I already have) to here.
BH
BillyH Founding member
That's incredible. They've had a forum for at least five years now...heck, it predates this one.

I haven't been able to get in since they relaunched a couple of months back, due to the 'identifyable emails only' policy. But during the, ooh, four/five years I was a member, some great discussions were had.

I did sometimes think that things were a little too positive in the Mock Forum, and that people seemed to be afraid of criticism...hence you'd get 'That's great!' by all members for every single mock, even though they clearly weren't. Sad news on it going, though, and certainly a surprise.
SH
Steve Hackett
BillyH posted:
That's incredible. They've had a forum for at least five years now...heck, it predates this one.

I haven't been able to get in since they relaunched a couple of months back, due to the 'identifyable emails only' policy. But during the, ooh, four/five years I was a member, some great discussions were had.

I did sometimes think that things were a little too positive in the Mock Forum, and that people seemed to be afraid of criticism...hence you'd get 'That's great!' by all members for every single mock, even though they clearly weren't. Sad news on it going, though, and certainly a surprise.

Actually, the constant criticism in our every action was one factor in us deciding to close it! Rolling Eyes
CW
cwathen Founding member
I remember their first forum - no registration so anyone could post under any name, and no archiving of posts - once threads fell off the bottom they were gone. Pretty typical of most forums then too.

Although I admittedly haven't been to TV Ark forum since mid-2002 having moved firmly to this one at the end of 2001, it was TV-Ark's that got me interested in discussing TV presentation with other like minded folk.

It will be missed.
WE
Westy2
I was posting a few years back, but haven't done since well before the last revamp.

I do wish sites would stop being awakrad over nicknames being used as user names. (Asa, don't get any ideas please!)

I stopped using the Dr Who Restoration Team forum over that issue, plus some little prat told me off for not using my proper name(And he wasn't even a moderator!).

I wouldn't mind, but I was praising the 'Ambassoders of Death' VHS !
LO
Londoner
No disrespect to Ben and David, but whenever I've looked, the quality of discussion on the TV Ark Forum has never been very high. DialUpBorg (see my signature) was prolific over there at one time. Enough said.

I just hope the average IQ here doesn't fall too much as a result...
MO
moss Founding member
Westy2 posted:
I do wish sites would stop being awakrad over nicknames being used as user names. (Asa, don't get any ideas please!)

I stopped using the Dr Who Restoration Team forum over that issue, plus some little prat told me off for not using my proper name(And he wasn't even a moderator!).

I wouldn't mind, but I was praising the 'Ambassoders of Death' VHS !

I must admit, that annoys me too. The net has been around for years, and nicknames are a well-established convention. I'm more recognisable as "moss" than as "John Hoare" on most forums, so it's self-defeating in the end!
NI
Nini
Londoner posted:
I just hope the average IQ here doesn't fall too much as a result...

Too late.
SD
sda|
It went downhill since it returned the other month. Too many forums, too few members, lack of intelligent discussions (especially in off topic)

(although I may be biased as someone owes me a trade from there, and he's gone awol)

It was the best place to be the last few years though, for proper vintage pres discussion!
SH
Steve Hackett
Despite trying to work with Ben Pirozzolo to sort out an alternative forum, certain smart-arsed users felt that it would be a good idea to use rest of the month to launch personal attacks on me. I'm not prepared to accept this and have closed the forum with immediate effect!

Newer posts