The Newsroom

Sir Trevor McDonald retires from ITN

"And that's the way it looks tonight..." (December 2005)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LO
Londoner
ITV News is revamping its 10.30pm team following Sir Trevor's departure. The programme is also being expanded by a few minutes, with a comprehensive sports round-up, in a bid to take on BBC1's 10pm news bulletin.

BBC business reporter Mark Eddo joins to become ITV's new business correspondent, while Geraint Vincent, who joined ITV News three years ago, becomes the programme's new sports correspondent. They replace Lauren Taylor and Tim Ewart, who are both returning to general news reporting.

The expanded sports round-up will be presented by Felicity Barr. The new team comes into operation on January 3.

Full story: http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,1660302,00.html
TE
TELEVISION
There is already enough sport as it is, the extra time they have should be used for more news.
NH
Nick Harvey Founding member
TELEVISION posted:
There is already enough sport as it is, the extra time they have should be used for more news.

Judging by the (admittidly) few times I've watched the ITV 10:30 in recent months, a cynic might suggest that the extra time ought to be used for SOME news.
BR
Brekkie
There isn't much sport really - it's usually one report and a couple of other stories covered in a quick summary. I expect the expanded section will see an extra report.

I guess also the show being extended will probably only be until 11.05pm - which it technically runs to now anyway!

News at Ten Thirty has certainly improved alot since it's launch - and is always better on Trevor's days off (about four days a week then!).

I also suspect Felicity is being given an expanded roll as a possible sweetner in case the news channel is axed!
MA
themagicmonkey
One in which she can squeeze even more cheese?
JO
Joshua
Maybe Jan 3rd will be the day ITV News revamps ...
AN
Andrew Founding member
josh205 posted:

It's Jan 3rd that the changes to News at 10:30 starts because its the first day after the Christmas break!
EO
eoin
Andrew posted:
josh205 posted:

It's Jan 3rd that the changes to News at 10:30 starts because its the first day after the Christmas break!

Yes, but, "the new year" seems to be the general consensus for the ITV relaunch, and Jan 3rd would fit in with that. It would make sense for the mini news relaunch to take place alongside the introduction of a new presenter and reshuffle of reporters.
JO
Joshua
With this conformation that the set is being re-launched for the new look it may seem that the sport may be presented from a seating area. (if you didn't know the set is being kept but being shuffled around - most probaly for breakfast on the NC so i'm thinking the walkway may be carpeted and widend at the ends to fit maybe a small coffee table ala sky)
BR
Brekkie
pickle104 posted:
It would make sense for the mini news relaunch to take place alongside the introduction of a new presenter and reshuffle of reporters.

I think you've answered your own question there! Quite often when things make sense, it's not how they happen!
LO
Londoner
An interesting piece on Trevor's retirement:
www.pressgazette.co.uk/article/081205/thank_you_sir_trevor_and_now_erm
ST
Stuart
It certainly would seem sensible to tie in Sir Trevor's departure with the general revamp of ITV presentation.

I suspect it will take people time to get used to the new team for the 10:30, so to then change the presentation and set for ITV News and logos for ITVs 1-3 shortly afterwards would look messy and badly timed.

Best to get it all over with at once and 3rd January is as good a time as any.

Newer posts