The Newsroom

ITN - The Shot that shook the World

50 years of ITN & news on ITV (August 2005)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
StevieB posted:
Just noticed that UTV have started showing the promo for this. Of course in true UTV style they've plastered their own web address where I presume the ITV address was! It looks awful!

I'm actually surprised they haven't managed to squeeze a UTV logo in somewhere as well!

http://www.utvtoday.co.uk/images/shot.jpg

Have they cut out the bit where Trev says "Log on to itv.com/theshot"?
BP
Bob Paisley
More Stalin-esque re-painting of the past. There'll be loads of mentions of ITV News when for most of those fifty years it was always ITN. Sadly the company seems to be getting air-brushed out of history.
SC
SCBNI
Andrew posted:
StevieB posted:
Just noticed that UTV have started showing the promo for this. Of course in true UTV style they've plastered their own web address where I presume the ITV address was! It looks awful!

I'm actually surprised they haven't managed to squeeze a UTV logo in somewhere as well!

http://www.utvtoday.co.uk/images/shot.jpg

Have they cut out the bit where Trev says "Log on to itv.com/theshot"?

Yep they've cut that bit out. He just says "Log onto the website".

See here...

http://www.utvtoday.co.uk/videos/Update3/ITN_Shot_Promo.wmv

9 days later

JO
Jonathan
I read in the paper that ITV's September 27th programme will feature current ITV personalities. Could this include newsreaders? I am praying Hossain will appear, however she has only been at ITV News for under a year. I surmise Austin will be there, possibly for a formal announcement that he has usurped Sir Trevor. Ok, maybe he hasn't usurped Trevor, but it makes me feel angry and irritated that Mark Austin got two primetime presenting slots.
RJ
Russell James
me_for_nina posted:
I read in the paper that ITV's September 27th programme will feature current ITV personalities. Could this include newsreaders? I am praying Hossain will appear, however she has only been at ITV News for under a year. I surmise Austin will be there, possibly for a formal announcement that he has usurped Sir Trevor. Ok, maybe he hasn't usurped Trevor, but it makes me feel angry and irritated that Mark Austin got two primetime presenting slots.

Mark Austin presenting two things in one day! My God!! I never heard of it, only in the case of replacements (ie. the most recent one I can think of, Charles Gibson, ABC, replacing Peter Jennings, and presenting GMA) like have you seen Anna Ford at the 6, Huw Edwards at the 1? NO. Keep Mark at the 6:30, Alistair at the 10:30!

i hope this programme will be somewhat interesting, unlike some news anniversary programmes (RTE Was A BORE!)
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Noticed a letter in the Evening Standard complaining about this, using human suffering for entertainment etc. etc.
LU
Luke
Yeah I saw that too. Could understand where the reader was coming from as well.
JO
Jonathan
Blake Connolly posted:
Noticed a letter in the Evening Standard complaining about this, using human suffering for entertainment etc. etc.

And they are extremely correct. I did personally find it odd that ITV use human disasters, tragedies and loss of life to rake in viewers. However, these examples are among other things, such as lighthearted stories like Dolly the Sheep (world firsts) but it is going to be a a slightly tasteless programme. But... it is ITN 'The Shot that Shook the World' and so the programme is based on the news stories through ITN's history.
TW
Time Warp
me_for_nina posted:
Blake Connolly posted:

And they are extremely correct. I did personally find it odd that ITV use human disasters, tragedies and loss of life to rake in viewers. However, these examples are among other things, such as lighthearted stories like Dolly the Sheep (world firsts) but it is going to be a a slightly tasteless programme. But... it is ITN 'The Shot that Shook the World' and so the programme is based on the news stories through ITN's history.

However, nobody said that this was for entertainment, as news generally is not. What ITN are basically saying is pick which you find most powerful in each category. Personally, I would be quite interested to see which issues the nation has found most life changing or impressive in regards to each category, and I can see no harm in addressing this news from the past.
LU
Luke
time_warp posted:
However, nobody said that this was for entertainment, as news generally is not. What ITN are basically saying is pick which you find most powerful in each category. Personally, I would be quite interested to see which issues the nation has found most life changing or impressive in regards to each category, and I can see no harm in addressing this news from the past.

Don't be naive. Of course the show is for entertainment. It's not just some public survey, it's trying to ascertain what shot the voters find the most visually stimulating - hence entertainment.
TW
Time Warp
Luke posted:
it's trying to ascertain what shot the voters find the most visually stimulating - hence entertainment.

Wait a second, am I missing something? Nobody said that, and that's your interpretation of the event. My interpretaion is that it's trying to ascertain what shot the voters find the most powerful - therefore not necessarily entertainment.

Well of course some of it is, i.e 'Greatest Sporting Moment' etc, but anyone who thinks that ITN designed the 'Human Tragedy' as 'entertainment' has gone off the rails a little bit - it was serious news then and it's serious news now. Anyway, that's my opinion.

30 days later

TW
Time Warp
I notice that The Shot That Shook The World arrives on our screens at 21.45 on Tuesday evening and concludes after the news at 23.30.

From this, will the programme be a continuous event, as in Trevor presents the show from the news studio and also presents the news segment, or will somebody else be in at 10.30?

Newer posts