TV Home Forum

Sky to close 8 box office channels

(September 2005)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GM
GMTV
According to reports Sky are closing 8 box office channels from next wednesday 7th september

I cannot remember the last time I ordered a box office movie or event
CS
Cerulean Sunrise
chuff chuff chuff chuff chuff chuff chuff chuff

choo choo
SP
Spencer
Just what I thought at first... although it does appear this rumour does have some substance.

Media247 Article
CO
couch_potato
A major factor in this move could be the upcoming major EPG reshuffle and new look.
BO
BOL I0X
Oh what a loss.
MD
mdtauk
How many Channels will they have left afterwards, and could this be HDTV or VoD services?
CS
Cerulean Sunrise
Sorry for the early arrival of the train. It will be departing shortly.
IS
Inspector Sands
martinDTanderson posted:
How many Channels will they have left afterwards, and could this be HDTV or VoD services?

More likely to be for HD, Sky would need a heck of a lot more bandwidth for a VOD service.... if indeed they could provide one via satellite. I think that Box Office is as near as you could get from Sky (the technical term for what BO does is NVOD - Near Video On Demand)

It's even more likely it's just because their cutting back on Box Office to save some money
ST
Stuart
Inspector Sands posted:
It's even more likely it's just because their cutting back on Box Office to save some money

I doubt that is the case, since Sky have to pay SES/Astra whether they use the transpoder or not. I imagine that this is for other services, possibly part of the EPG enhancements or perhaps for Sky Three and other interactive funtions for Sky News???
JA
jamesmd
Why bother paying Sky for movies when you can get the DVD and keep it for much longer?

sorry, I've just noticed that GMTV is Lee Bedwood. My mistake.
DU
Dunedin
James Hall posted:
Why bother paying Sky for movies when you can get the DVD and keep it for much longer?

Perhaps because a box office movie costs about £3.50 and a DVD anywhere between £12-15 for a new release?

That's about 4 nights in with 4 box office movies for the price of just 1 DVD.

And then there's the chance to realise your box office choice was utterly crap and never watch it again (rather than being lumbered with an embarassingly poor film in your dvd collection).
JA
james2001 Founding member
James Hall posted:

No, he's actually Paul Akinbola. He was on here last year posting similar crap.

Newer posts