TV Home Forum

DiGGiT @ GMTV

(July 2005)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LE
leecraigstewart
fanoftv posted:
Right to clear this up...

The Disney Club was made by Scottish TV for ITV and aired on Sundays from 9:25-10:15am.

On Saturdays (after Saturday Disney), GMTV aired Wake up In the Wild Room with Dave Benson Phillips (and later Gail Porter) which ended at 8:55 for Power Rangers.

On Sundays around the same time as the Wild Room aired Craig Doyle & Paul 'Des' Ballard hosted the Road Hog, which was based on the Disney Club (as Craig & Des hosted), and was all about a silver bus (with orange dots and a hog's face) going around the country to a different place on a sunday morning.

Craig Doyle left both Road Hog and the Disney Club.

Fearne Cotton was picked by the viewers of the Disney Club as a new presenter.

In early 1998, it was either January or February, GMTV asked for a replacement for the weekends that came in the form of DiGGiT, live from London on Saturdays 7:10-9:25 and pre recorded on Saturdays for Sunday Morning 8-9:25.

As Des & Fearne hadn't done any Live TV before as The Disney Club and roadhog were both pre recorded, and they hadn't worked with ear pieces or anything, Gail Porter opened the first show by starting outside the studios and running in doors and onto the inflatible sofa.

The Disney Club continued for a bit after this until CiTV started to go live on a sunday mornings, that occured shortly before Stephen & Dannielle arrived in May 1998.
And if my memory is right, the Disney Club ended with a sequence based on Take That's 'How Deep Is your Love' video with them all tied up on chairs.

The Disney Club titles had really happy music to them and a mad logo, though i think they got rid of these before it ended.

And the original DiGGiT titles, that I still can't find anywhere, and I'm sure I have them on video somewhere were great with Des & Fearne running in boiler suits on CSO supposedly through a town, then to the DiGGiT tower.

Wasn't a fan of the second ones where a was an actual town scene with all of the characters popping up.

I did quite like the September 2001 titles though where they also remixed the theme tune, when Laura & that other girl presented.

---------------------------------------------------------------

DIGGIT FIRST AIRED ON THE 11TH APRIL 1998, I actually remember the last episode of Disney Club with Craig Doyle, he did a cowboy showdown somewhere with the showdown music, driving the silver and orange spotted disney club/Roadhog van with the Mickey Mouse ears on top of the van.

Laura Jaye and Victoria Hickson which were Diggit presenters after the auditions in 2000. We never here about Jack Stratton who was the first Diggit presenter that won the auditions in 1998, his dad is some kind of well known guitar player and he was only 14 when his son got the job at Diggit.

I actually spoke to Des 'Paul' Ballard and Fearne Cotton on live TV, I was glad to have spoken to them because I've been a hughe fan of them two since the Disney Club especially Des (Paul) because I've watched him on Disney Club and I've seen him in the Daz washing powder advert. I also won a few prizes on DiGGiT on various competitions, and I also got several signed photos of des, fearne and jack. I also won a Playstation on SM:TV live when I won a game of SPLATOON, also the top ten games and a year supply of Playstation magazine and oh not forgetting a signed picture of Ant, Dec and Cat Deeley.

Did anyone know that when SMTV first aired their theme tune was exactly the same as the CD:UK 'Countdown UK' song that was made by ant and dec? Except the 'Countdown UK' voices weren't added?
Bet you didn't know that. It started with the three in bed, getting up to get washed with Cat and Dec pampering themselves infront of the mirror and the alarm clock rings and Ant ends up yelling 'ahhhh' because he'd been sleeping in a tree! LOL, then it goes onto the cartoon charcaters flying into cup of tea and turning the tv on.

Anyway, back to diggit, In 2002 they moved to a new studios in west London but that was for a short period, I phoned up DiGGiT and I asked if Des has left the show and they said yes. So the show was turned to DiGGinIT and was presented by a man who used to present on CBBC.

Actually when GMTV first aired after TVAM in 1992, does anyone remember 'SATURDAY DISNEY' with Pippa and Stuart? I am sure I got a signed photo of them for writing in. Remember 'DISNEY ADVENTURES' with Andrea? Before GMTV, does anyone remember 'BIG BANANA' and 'HEY HEY IT'S SATURDAY' (both were hosted by Michael) and 'DAPPLEDOWN FARM' with Brian?

Listen to the DiGGiT theme tune (1998-2001): http://x400.putfile.com/videos/19614080373.mpg

Download the DiGGiT wallpaper: http://x2.putfile.com/7/19614293544.png
SA
saturdaymorning
LeeStewart_x3x posted:
Did anyone know that when SMTV first aired their theme tune was exactly the same as the CD:UK 'Countdown UK' song that was made by ant and dec? Except the 'Countdown UK' voices weren't added?
Bet you didn't know that. It started with the three in bed, getting up to get washed with Cat and Dec pampering themselves infront of the mirror and the alarm clock rings and Ant ends up yelling 'ahhhh' because he'd been sleeping in a tree! LOL, then it goes onto the cartoon charcaters flying into cup of tea and turning the tv on.

I did know that actually.

Do you know about the titles changed? I saw the 2000 titles once and i think i can just imagine the original titles but i've got no idea about 2001.
SA
saturdaymorning
LeeStewart_x3x posted:

I did know that about SMTV actually.

Have you got any sets of titles?I saw the 2000 titles once and i think i can just imagine the original titles but i've got no idea about 2001.

BTW,i think i've got the diggin' it titles AND the up on the roof titles on video from halloween!I got up especially to tape bits of them [as sad as it sounds!] and then the start of CiTV.
LE
leecraigstewart
I have over 80 videos of DIGGIT from 1998-2002 on video only. And I also have the title of smtv live which I mentioned about Ant sleeping in a tree, but only on video. It has some cheesy music then the music from cd:uk goes like this: "wow wow, wow wow"
JC
JCB
WTF?

What the hell is happening to this place? Rolling Eyes
LE
leecraigstewart
I was really annoyed when they took DIGGIT off and put on a new show called DIGGINIT, I wonder where they got the same from, god it's so original. LOL. DIGGINIT sucked, it wasnt as good as DIGGIT.
LE
leecraigstewart
I actually asked Jamie from up on the roof for his huge DIGGIT poster that I saw on his show and he sent it to me, I regularly e-mail him and ask him how him and his show is.

KevHal posted:
If I remember in the TV-am days, the show was called 'Top Banana', not 'Big Banana'. Remember the theme tune well. Kids singing. "Top banana, top banana, naaa naa naaaaa, naaa na naaaaa". Think it was where you had to go through this jungle type obsticle course by spining a banana on a coloured wheel. I also remember a brown puppet monkey with a husky womans voice. If anyone has any sounds of videos of 'Top Banana' would be greatful.

Didn't the Disney club just transfer to GMTV from ITV when they won the franchise, as GMTV was and still is partly owned by Disney. I thought the Disney Club 9.25 ITV finished in 1993. Cause I don't think TV-am ever linked with Disney (but I may be wrong).

No the Disney Club was by CITV on sunday mornings, CITV wanted to air their live show with Stephen Mulhern and Danielle. The monkey in Top Banana was called Chucky, I think. All CITV shows ended at 9:25am, because the goodbye (see you tomorrow 6am-9:25pm) credits were always showed at 9:25pm.

james2001 posted:
saturdaymorning posted:
LeeStewart_x3x posted:

I did. I watched SM:TV right from when it first aired, and i remember the Ant, Dec & Cat opening, and the CD:UK theme tune (which had the words "Wake up! Saturday! sung over them). it changed to the more familiar tune from episode 4.

Yes that's right, it went "wake up, it's a new day, or what a day!", I think smtv live must of thought that people would know it's the same tune so they changed it.

DIGGIT:
The titles had Des and Fearne running past some red and blue striping and all these Tv screens and they were running to a huge circular building with DIGGIT on the top and it showed them infront of millions of screens.
"You'll be virtually bonkers to miss it" - Des 'Paul' Ballard.
JA
james2001 Founding member
saturdaymorning posted:
LeeStewart_x3x posted:

I did. I watched SM:TV right from when it first aired, and i remember the Ant, Dec & Cat opening, and the CD:UK theme tune (which had the words "Wake up! Saturday! sung over them). it changed to the more familiar tune from episode 4.
SA
saturdaymorning
Sorry to go off-topic,but i've got one show [the only full smtv i've got!] from 3/10/98 and that's still got the funky theme tune.

Back on topic,I don't think Diggin' it was that bad. And Jamie Rickers was in Up On The Roof which had alright graphics at first [what i can remember of them] but then they got that big graphics change,which not many people liked.
KH
KevHal
If I remember in the TV-am days, the show was called 'Top Banana', not 'Big Banana'. Remember the theme tune well. Kids singing. "Top banana, top banana, naaa naa naaaaa, naaa na naaaaa". Think it was where you had to go through this jungle type obsticle course by spining a banana on a coloured wheel. I also remember a brown puppet monkey with a husky womans voice. If anyone has any sounds of videos of 'Top Banana' would be greatful.

Didn't the Disney club just transfer to GMTV from ITV when they won the franchise, as GMTV was and still is partly owned by Disney. I thought the Disney Club 9.25 ITV finished in 1993. Cause I don't think TV-am ever linked with Disney (but I may be wrong).
SA
saturdaymorning
I think there needs to be a website for this.With all the different sets of titles. I could do Toonattik and hopefully Diggin' it and Up On The Roof.
I can't get sound though!

If fanoftv can find the original DiGGiT titles that would be great!
LE
leecraigstewart
I actually won a "Diggy and Dodgy" screensaver disk on DIGGIT. LOL.

Newer posts