TV Home Forum

UTV Appoints new cheif executive

Can we expect a change? (July 2005)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
Roy
Ulster TV today appointed a 34-year-old Australian to succeed Kelvin MacKenzie as the chief executive of Wireless Group, the owner of the TalkSport radio station.
The Belfast-based company, which bought Wireless for £98.2m last month, said Scott Taunton would take up his post with immediate effect.

Mr Taunton, who has been responsible for UTV's radio and new media operations as the business development director, said he was taking on "one of the most exciting jobs in British media".

"Kelvin has done a great job at building awareness of the TalkSport brand. I will now focus on growing our audience nationally and locally to provide a compelling commercial offering to advertisers, and ensuring the highest quality output for our listeners."

UTV's acquisition of the company, which is home to 16 local stations alongside TalkSport, has given it a significant presence across the Irish Sea.

The company's interest in England had previously been confined to a 33% stake in Liverpool's number two station, Juice FM.

UTV won the licence for the new Belfast station in March, while in the Irish Republic it owns four stations, including Dublin music station Q102. It is best known as the holder of the ITV franchise in Northern Ireland.

Before UTV made its acquisition, Mr MacKenzie had tried to put together a management buyout but struggled to find financial backers.

The former Sun editor ending up leaving Wireless after seven years with more than £6m in shares and an £800,000 payoff.

UTV said today that two other members of the old management team - Mr MacKenzie's son Ashley, the sales director, and TalkSport's managing director, Michael Franklin - had also left the company.

It described Mr Taunton as a "native of Australia" who had been working in the UK for a decade.
DE
denton
Off-topic I know...
but, I noticed at the weekend that ITV's interactive service now works on UTV. When did this happen?

I only happened across it on Sunday, after seeing UTV run a trail for the service. At first I thought they were just too slow at opting out of their slightly-dirty clean-feed of network. But no. I does work! Shocked
RD
rdd Founding member
"UTV appoints new chief executive" ...

Of The Wireless Group. Not of Ulster Television plc, before anyone gets excieted. And its their existing group business development manager anyway. He is also chief executive of UTV Internet and is involved in their existing (Irish) radio stations. The biggest change to any of them is the admitadly big relaunch of Lite FM as Q102 a few years back. That, and that all their websites are now run by UTV Internet.
TV
The TV Room
denton posted:
Off-topic I know...
but, I noticed at the weekend that ITV's interactive service now works on UTV. When did this happen?

DIscovered this over the weekend myself. Well, UTV ran the advert for it and that's what drew my attention to it. It has the 'ITV 1' logo stamped all over it too!
SC
SCBNI
The TV Room posted:
denton posted:
Off-topic I know...

DIscovered this over the weekend myself. Well, UTV ran the advert for it and that's what drew my attention to it. It has the 'ITV 1' logo stamped all over it too!

Something else I just noticed quite recently, have UTV always shown ITV2 promos? Last week there was one for the new series of Baddiel & Skinner Unplanned and yesterday I saw one for The Big Fight Live .

Seems strange, I've never noticed them before!

[url]http://www.utvtoday.co.uk/images/Tagged%20Screen%20Caps/promo%20(5Cool.jpg[/url]

http://www.utvtoday.co.uk/images/Tagged%20Screen%20Caps/cap%20(157).jpg
MA
marksi
StevieB posted:
The TV Room posted:
denton posted:
Off-topic I know...

Something else I just noticed quite recently, have UTV always shown ITV2 promos? Last week there was one for the new series of Baddiel & Skinner Unplanned and yesterday I saw one for The Big Fight Live .

Seems strange, I've never noticed them before!

[url]http://www.utvtoday.co.uk/images/Tagged%20Screen%20Caps/promo%20(5Cool.jpg[/url]

http://www.utvtoday.co.uk/images/Tagged%20Screen%20Caps/cap%20(157).jpg

They do have the occasional trail for ITV2, but not often.

Teletext is now available on ITV channels on DSat. I don't know what the license arrangements for this are, however it's likely that the red button triggers and the text service are transmitted as one entity and therefore it was not possible to add Teletext to UTV but not include the ITVi service.

Newer posts