TV Home Forum

Some thoughts on Northern Ireland TV

(March 2005)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CO
Colm
Questions I've asked myself when reacquainting myself with Northern Irish television...

Arrow Why have UTV reverted to using the 2002 Big Blue Break Bumper before ads? And why haven't they got rid of all of their black break flashes?

Arrow Why do all BBC NI local trails have to feature those dodgy rainbow-coloured crowd graphics?

Arrow Who on earth commissioned the new Open & Direct advert using "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" and the P&O "P and, P and, P and O" ad? And what is the suitable punishment?

Arrow And can UTV please cut back on the Dublin's Q102 "Telepathic Friends" adverts? OK, they own the station, but can anyone in Northern Ireland pick the station up?

Arrow When did Frank Mitchell pick up Jeremy Paxman-style interview techniques? Did he get them from the same person who gave them to Stephen Nolan?

Arrow Why on earth do UTV not bother to edit out the competition segment on the Home Sweet Home repeats? Gillian Porter reminded us TWICE not to bother calling the competition lines as they were closed and didn't seem happy about it

Arrow And why are UTV using the old ITV National Weather graphics on their pointless Ski Weather reports?

Arrow Why was Joel Taggart reporting from what looked like a makeshift Final Score studio?

Arrow Who writes Julian Simmons' scripts? He made lots of fluffs over the weekend and at least twice ran under by 5 seconds, ending up staring into the camera holding a smile...

Arrow Isn't Donna Traynor's mullet sweet? And Gillian Porter's mushroom-shaped bob? And did Audra Thomas do the job for them? And what cutting edge hair do can I expect Audra to have this time?

Arrow WHY did they have to change the voiceover on the Diet Coke ad with the turtle to James Nesbitt?

Arrow Do Apple realise a TV station in Northern Ireland have ripped off their iPod adverts to promote a football show? Having said that, the UTV trails for The Football Show and Kelly are wonderfully produced.

Arrow Additionally, what is The Football Show like? Is it true that Logie is the main presenter? Does it compare favourably or unfavourably with Soccer Night? (Believe me, it can't be as bad as Soccer Night Extra with Andy Townsend...)

Arrow Why can't Keith Burnside get Martin Scorsese or Alex Maskey's name correct when he reads the news on Radio Ulster?

Arrow And isn't Gavin Andrews of Season Ticket pleasant to the eye? Smile

I should come back home more often...
RD
rdd Founding member
Col posted:
Questions I've asked myself when reacquainting myself with Northern Irish television...

Arrow WHY did they have to change the voiceover on the Diet Coke ad with the turtle to James Nesbitt?

Funny, I thought it was Colm Murphy? Maybe it is on RTÉ, though why one northerner would be replaced by another...
CO
Colm
Perhaps it is Colin Murphy, to me it sounded more like James Nesbitt which is why when I first saw it I reached for the remote as quickly as possible...

Then once I turned back to UTV after that ad had finished they showed a Yellow Pages ad Smile
MA
marksi
The "people" on the BBC ONE NI trails are temporary, and tie in with the trail campaign highlighting the amount and range of local programming from BBC Northern Ireland.

As to the pronunciation of Alec/Alex Maskey... wayyyy back in the dark old days when I used to read the news he was most definatley Alex Maskey. For reasons best known to himself, he is now Alec Maskey.

Quote:
And can UTV please cut back on the Dublin's Q102 "Telepathic Friends" adverts? OK, they own the station, but can anyone in Northern Ireland pick the station up?

murf1000 claims he can from his hilltop in south Armagh. But you're right, the vast majority of people in Northern Ireland cannot pick it up. But then it's been a long time since UTV cared more about the people in it's official service area than outside of it.
MU
murf1000
marksi posted:
The "people" on the BBC ONE NI trails are temporary, and tie in with the trail campain highlighting the amount and range of local programming from BBC Northern Ireland.

As to the pronunciation of Alec/Alex Maskey... wayyyy back in the dark old days when I used to read the news he was most definatley Alex Maskey. For reasons best known to himself, he is now Alec Maskey.

Quote:
And can UTV please cut back on the Dublin's Q102 "Telepathic Friends" adverts? OK, they own the station, but can anyone in Northern Ireland pick the station up?

murf1000 claims he can from his hilltop in south Armagh. But you're right, the vast majority of people in Northern Ireland cannot pick it up. But then it's been a long time since UTV cared more about the people in it's official service area than outside of it.

Yes we can recieve most of the Dublin stations in the upper regions of South Armagh.
MA
marksi
Worst voice on television: UTV's Julie O'Connor.
NI
NorthernIreland
are you sure you are getting Dublins Q102 or are you getting Q102.9 from Londonderry??
PE
peterrocket Founding member
Col posted:
Arrow Do Apple realise a TV station in Northern Ireland have ripped off their iPod adverts to promote a football show? Having said that, the UTV trails for The Football Show and Kelly are wonderfully produced.

No I doubt they know and it wouldn't have been aied if there was any breech of copyright about it, however I agree about the trails being "wonderfully produced" Wink

I also know their advertising prices are stupidly high. A client wanted to advertise on UTV for 2 weeks at a total of about 20 adverts split 50/50 over peak/off peak.

The price was 8k after bargaining / incentives. Advertising in ITV London turned out to be less.

UTVs excuse: viewship in the republic apparently even though the advert wasn't aimed at them.
CO
Colm
I used to be able to receive Q102.9 from the North West in Lurgan on a good day, I think once due to atmospheric conditions I could pick up the Dublin station 104FM too from Lurgan as well.

It probably is possible to pick up the Dublin local stations from Newry and South Armagh, perhaps further north, as when I'm back in Northern Ireland I can pick up the RTE stations and Today FM on their Southern frequencies.
MU
murf1000
When I am at home at the weekend if i get bored I will check to see what Dublin stations are available.
RD
rdd Founding member
In other NI TV news, TG4 launches on analogue terrestrial Friday week...

http://www.tg4.ie/bearla/nuac/ntg4.htm#
GB
GavBelfast
marksi posted:
Worst voice on television: UTV's Julie O'Connor.

If we could widen this to broadcasting as opposed to just television, and substitute "oddest" for "worst", look no further than Downtown Radio's Brian Moriarty. Cracking voice, certainly distinctive!

Newer posts